Rolling All Australian Team 2020

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Might be. In my eyes, he needs a near BOG performance against Freo to make the bench.

yeah he needs to finish strong against Freo and put the dogs in the finals. Has been huge since round 11, but only 1 bog and 3 solid games before that. Interesting thing is, if he does have another BOG game against the dockers, he could end up top 5 in coaches votes.
Caleb Daniel would be leading our BnF and is an absolute lock in the team.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong (#1), Port (#2) and Richmond (#3) have the best defense by far this season which is daylight to 4th.

Would there be a reason why the backline isn't mostly Geelong/Port/Richmond players?
Despite being inaccurate in regards to ranking the teams. Team defence isn’t necessarily predicated on having the best defenders. Team structure and strategy play a large part.

Ross Lyon teams are an extreme example of that. Would have the most miserly defence year after year but that was mainly due to their strategy and structures.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm personally not confident in this team as I think this is a hard year to rate but here it goes. I only picked players who have played a minimum of 14 games. I also avoided traditional wingers and just picked the best mids.
B: N.Haynes/H.Andrews or S.May/Lu.Ryan
HB: A.Saad/S.Collins/B.Maynard
R:T.Goldstein/L.Neale/C.Petracca
C: T.Boak/M.Bontempelli/P.Dangerfield
HF: J.Gunston/T.Hawkins/D.Martin
F: T.Papley/C.Dixon/R.Gray
int: N.Vlaustin/N.Naitanui/J.Steele/N.Fyfe

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm personally not confident in this team as I think this is a hard year to rate but here it goes. I only picked players who have played a minimum of 14 games. I also avoided traditional wingers and just picked the best mids.

the biggest stand out Is no Caleb Daniel. Hasn’t played a bad game all year and has been in our best 3 players nearly every game.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
the biggest stand out Is no Caleb Daniel. Hasn’t played a bad game all year and has been in our best 3 players nearly every game.

Was him or Vlaustin and I opted for Vlaustin. Wouldn't be opposed to selecting him over Vlaustin in the slightest however.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jordy De Goey smashed Collins at the weekend.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Langdon is a chance. He’s been a slow burn but his second half of the season has been exceptional. He’s done pretty much all you could ask of a wing.

I’m not expecting him to be named in the squad as he’s mostly flying under the radar, but if it’s based on performance he’s a real chance of the squad. Not in genuine discussion for the final side though.

I don't see him getting in the 40 or even close. Not to say he hasn't had a good year albeit patchy. Was brilliant on the weekend.

Issue is they will put a ruck rover on the wing.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
Geelong (#1), Port (#2) and Richmond (#3) have the best defense by far this season which is daylight to 4th.

Would there be a reason why the backline isn't mostly Geelong/Port/Richmond players?

Not even close to daylight between 3 and 4. In fact it's only 3 points

Here's the top 6 for comparison

COL 820
PA 824
GEE 838
RICH 841
FRE 850
BRI 887

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why? This year more than ever it's the fairest comparison

Everyone has played each other once with zero double ups to skew the stats and generally neutral venues with minimal crowd impact
Because if teams have a game plan that reduces scoring then they will have a low points against score but if they still lose then it that stat means nothing.

it’s dumb.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some teams also play a risky game style that use the corridor and play at a faster pace which can lead to more midfield turnovers. Slower up the line teams will naturally concede less points as well, they play slower.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we should all pencil in Harris Andrews for All Australian for the next 5 years, considering he plays in favourable conditions for defensive actions.

Everyone has played each other once with zero double ups to skew the stats and generally neutral venues with minimal crowd impact
Because it doesn't show how effective the actual back line is. Calculate the percentage of goals a team concedes per inside 50's, that's far more effective.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Translation:

NEEDS MORE RICHMOND!!
Translation: I need to sook about Richmond and the .....NIL.... advantage they've copped this year yet are still in with a shot. Bloody all those MCG games in a row with HGA. Oh hang on. Im extremely sorry, I didnt notice you were a WA 'er. Carry on.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Translation: I need to sook about Richmond and the .....NIL.... advantage they've copped this year yet are still in with a shot. Bloody all those MCG games in a row with HGA. Oh hang on. Im extremely sorry, I didnt notice you were a WA 'er. Carry on.
Swing and a miss.

Good luck finding a post about me complaining about any of that anywhere on this site ever. In fact, if you looked real hard you could actually find me talking up the Victorian teams if they were able to win this year.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hawks had 1 home game. How many did WC, Freo, Crows, Port, Bris and GCS have?

How many Home games did they have at their opponent's home ground? We had 4 I think.

Even with the fake Home and Away we had 7 Home and 10 Away games. The AFL literally didnt even try to make it sort of maybe balanced.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hawks had 1 home game. How many did WC, Freo, Crows, Port, Bris and GCS have?

How many Home games did they have at their opponent's home ground? We had 4 I think.

Even with the fake Home and Away we had 7 Home and 10 Away games. The AFL literally didnt even try to make it sort of maybe balanced.
Boo hoo every team has suffered through this COVID year.

Back