List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah if hodgey's strategy is to get rid of every single player over 26 then i think his job as a list manager may come and go pretty bloody quickly

also james sicily is ~ 6 months younger than some of those blokes he was mentioning but for some arbitrary reason we keep him but not the others?

They have 3 first round picks with a group that's about to go over the cliff, with such a questionable draft it's laughable they wouldn't give up a first round pick for him.

Next year during the finals this will be the age of their core group, Geelong will join Hawthorn in the bottom 4 soon.

Tuohy 31
Hawkins 33
Menegola 29
Duncan 30
Dahlhaus 29
Henderson 31
Taylor 35
Selwood 33
Rohan 30
Ablett 37
Guthrie 29
Steven 31
Blicavs 30
Dangerfield 31
Stanley 30
Yeah, they're super close but not equipped with all the pieces they need to be convincing favourites.

They're not going to get anything of value in trade for the vast majority of those guys now or next year. Pain is coming for them either way, so might as well go all in for 2021. If they hedge their bets by just using all those picks at the draft then it might take the edge off the inevitable rebuild that comes in 2022 or so, but it also wastes the opportunity they currently have.

Will be interesting to see which way they go following how they perform in finals.

I can see Henderson being asked to play on for another year if Smith leaves as a free agent. That’s nearly 400 games experience between them gone. We’ve already seen this year just how much their absence from the team has hurt.

The other thing I think we need to turn to once again are trying to find those mature age recruits. Getting Smith, Stratton and Puopolo meant we had 3 B22 additions immediately after drafting. If we can get some great young kids in the front half of the draft and some strong mature agers in the back half we'll be able to replenish much faster. Obviously harder without many of the feeder leagues but there has to be another Stewart, Zorko, Lobb, Ryan, Riccardi, Fritsch lurking in their somewhere.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

The other thing I think we need to turn to once again are trying to find those mature age recruits. Getting Smith, Stratton and Puopolo meant we had 3 B22 additions immediately after drafting. If we can get some great young kids in the front half of the draft and some strong mature agers in the back half we'll be able to replenish much faster. Obviously harder without many of the feeder leagues but there has to be another Stewart, Zorko, Lobb, Ryan, Riccardi, Fritsch lurking in their somewhere.

I think the equivalent here is in grabbing players forced out of stronger clubs with list size cuts. Unfortunately the cuts might not be as heavy as first thought, at least for 2021, but reduced list sizes over next few seasons gives real scope to get mature age role players in.

kelly (a player who would fix a LOT of our midfield issues)

You might be right, but they managed their dip a few years before us, better than us, they are back in the hunt as we are falling apart with no clear future
They were fortunate enough to have Dangerfield land in their lap, and their older recruits (Rohan, Dahlhaus, Ablett, Menegola, etc) have worked out better than ours.

Couple bits of luck and Rioli not retiring, could have been completely different story. I think it's silly to compare the two.

They were fortunate enough to have Dangerfield land in their lap, and their older recruits (Rohan, Dahlhaus, Ablett, Menegola, etc) have worked out better than ours.

Couple bits of luck and Rioli not retiring, could have been completely different story. I think it's silly to compare the two.
Rough going down with Cancer was big we would won 4 in a row if not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you had of told me in March that by September Will Day would be our only untouchable I would've laughed in your face
Surely not untouchable let’s ease a bit on him hahah, if we got offered Whitfield, dusty, Fyfe or the other super stars in the comps we would do that deal

Surely not untouchable let’s ease a bit on him hahah, if we got offered Whitfield, dusty, Fyfe or the other super stars in the comps we would do that deal

TBH I wouldn't take a 29 year old of any calibre for Day. We aren't going to be seriously competing for a flag in 2021, likely not 2022 either (though i'd like to see us challenging for top 8 at least). Both Fyfe and Dusty will be on the wrong side of 30 before we are challenging - alternatively Day will be 21 with 10 more years ahead of him.

The maximum age of anyone we bring in to the club should be 25/26, and even then I'd prefer people younger than 23.

From listening to the Radio, it sounds like they following has gone down re: Breust:

1. Hawthorn lets it be know he is potentially available.
2. Geelong like him as a footballer and register interest.
3. Geelong baulk at Hawthorn's price. Not even close. Cats thinking second rounder likely 30-40.
4. Cats walk away.
5. Breust unlikely to be at Geelong as miles apart. Not miles apart where it can be reconciled but miles apart why waste your time miles apart.

Not really bad. Kind of what I expect from both sides. Hawthorns want to maximise trade value, Cats want to get a bargain if it exists.
Currently there are 3 clubs seriously after Breust. I don't know if geelong are one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back