Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a lot of the “Frawleys” about Cameron.

We spend all year hoping he doesn’t sign meaning hes is leaving under the assumption we are the only club in the picture. Then all of a sudden we find out we were never in the picture.

If we land either Daniher or Cameron we should be very very happy Cats. Literally 2 of the top 5 key fwds in the game. The odds of drafting one of those whilst being in contention are almost zero.

Honestly I think Cameron will be either us or giants.

Did I hear on the news break that Corr just packed up and left the Giants hub? They cut to Cameron saying it was disappointing but didn't he just use the commit or GTFO on the players yesterday. Can hardly complain when they leave.

Corr left yesterday - kinda feels like Cameron has left some details out

“When he came to me a couple of nights ago I was disappointed and shocked, but he made that call. As hard as that may be, that‘s what’s happened and from there we kicked into gear and he’s headed back home to Sydney,” Cameron told reporters on Wednesday.

“Aidan left yesterday afternoon. That was a disappointing thing to happen (but) he exercised his right for free agency. That’s the rules. He can make that choice.

“Clearly he’s not going to play for probably three or four weeks because of his ankle and so he probably thought that (leaving the hub) was the decision he wanted to make during the week. I’m not going to lie about it, it’s really disappointing.

“We really rate Aidan, we thought he’s come a long way in the last year and a half at fullback. But he has that right and we have to respect that.”

Why the hell would we want brad crouch?

Because “jouralists” appear to have a quota of BS trade speculation articles they have to write & publish each day

Took Port six years to get back to the finals after we ate them alive on GF Day 2007. It's really not as straightforward as many think to get monstered on the big day and then just butter up bigger and better the following year.

With some list carnage still to come, I can easily see the Giants missing the finals again in 2021. And then Leon's recent extension starts to look even more preemptive and ill-advised than it does now.
Geelong in 95 ☹️

Here we go :) published 4 minutes ago:

Jeremy Cameron and Greater Western Sydney are a “fair distance apart” over his next contract, reports Sam McClure.

The champion forward has consistently reiterated his desire to remain with the Giants, but has endured a below-par season by his lofty standards.

He still remains unsigned beyond the end of the season.

“There are people at GWS who are confused as to why he isn’t re-signed,” Sam McClure said on Wednesday.

Gerard Healy wonders whether the Giants are gun-shy, given they handed Stephen Coniglio a seven-year multi-million dollar deal at the end of last season. He was dropped last week.

The Bombers are in a catfight for Joe Daniher
You have 2 free articles remaining
Support news you can trust.
FIND OUT MORE
Already subscribed? Log in
Peter Ryan
By Peter Ryan
September 16, 2020 — 5.50pm
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Leave a comment
As Essendon forward Joe Daniher contemplates his future he is now certain he is wanted at more than one club.
In two hours on a Thursday night in late August, his value rebounded like a bull market when he took 10 marks (five inside 50) and had six scoring shots against Hawthorn in round 14.
At that point he knew the Bombers remained an obvious option for him, their love for the smiling left-footer still fierce despite the fact he has played just 14 games for them in three seasons and wanted out at the end of 2019.
Joe Daniher: does he stay or does he go?

Joe Daniher: does he stay or does he go?CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
But now that Geelong have entered the picture for the 26-year-old, as The Age reported on Tuesday, joining the Brisbane Lions and Sydney as a potential destination for Daniher if he decides to leave, the alarm bells inside The Hangar should be ringing louder than words.
Advertisement

At Geelong he would no longer be the sole focal point. He would slot in beside the team-oriented but ageing Tom Hawkins, allowed to re-establish himself in the competition without a supporter base that has been starved of success riding every move. He would be one of the crowd in every sense, the languid lifestyle he enjoys at Daylesford stretching from his front door to his locker.
The Cats' serious interest is also a worry for Essendon's hierarchy because while losing him to a club north of the Murray River due to his reserved nature might be explainable, losing him to a club a couple of gear changes up the road from Tullamarine would turn red-and-black faces very red.
If he did leave for the Cats, as is his right as a restricted free agent, it would suggest Daniher's motivation for leaving Essendon is, as many suspect, as much about being at a successful team that is consistent and balanced than an overwhelming desire to disappear into the crowd.
While relative anonymity is a condition the Bombers could never offer, they should be able to suggest the same possibility of a top-four finish in the next few seasons as the Cats.
The fact they can't do that with a straight face should have supporters asking more questions about why that club remains mired in past glory and more resistant to any outsiders helping them usher in a new era than any episode of Sale of the Century.
Advertisement

Of course Daniher's absence through injury has not helped the Bombers rise up the ladder but other clubs cover injuries and retain players of his ilk when they want to do so if the rest of their house is in order.
Essendon's house does not appear to be and if their departing coach's words are any indication it's because the club has been too resistant to serious change for too long.

The truth is Geelong have been able to register their interest in Daniher with a strong resume of success and good decision-making behind them and space in their salary cap because they did not have to hand over cash to keep Tim Kelly.
The Cats' inability to win preliminary finals is a monkey on their back but their culture is respected and their decision-making is consistent.
Advertisement

Players at Geelong can focus on football as their priority, rarely, if ever, suspicious that back-room politics may carry more weight than logic when decisions are made.
A pitch to Daniher from the Cats would not have to contain a heavy sell or a huge pay packet. Their runs are on the board and the wicket is flattening out.
In the Bombers favour is that they can match any offer if forced.
Whether that becomes necessary remains to be seen as no-one knows what the goalkicker is thinking.
What is certain is that the Bombers have a catfight on their hands and their response will be fascinating

If Brad Crouch does join I think a few on here are going to be red-faced at some point or another. I have little doubt his output will be very good in our team when he's on the park. Issue is his durability threatens to be more Scott Selwood than Joel. Injury history does mean I would pass on offering him a lot of money but it's easy to see how he'd fit in. Get him on the park and he'll do alright.
Ditto Daniher but I think he's even riskier given he'd command a larger lump of money (reward also potentially higher too)

The offer part is the least of the worries. I mean the Bombers would get pick 6. No club could trump that. Case closed. I’m not sure any player whose barely played for 3 years price is a top 5 pick. Our picks are likely to be 11, 14 and maybe 18 and can only get worse. We saw last year clubs have zero interest trading top 6 picks for multiple late 1st rounders.

The only reason Adel refused their Como was because it was to be pick 14 and we had much better.

I'm really not into the idea of picking up Joe, considering the price that would have to be paid (it's Essendon you're dealing with, remember), and the significant probability of ongoing injury issues.

Was staggered to hear how keen they were on the Cat Attack poddy this week to see him come to the Cattery, given how they've ridiculed injury-prone additions to the list before. Cocky and Buddy aside, he's surely just about the least likely player in the comp to string together stacks of games in 2021, based on his recent injury history.

Key forwards are very hard to get with the picks we have.. Very few of them are A grade and he is one of them..it's easy to see why we would want him..it's all about getting the right price for the injury risk though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I'd pay him 600 per year for 3 with games and incentive clauses for a 4th and 5thh year and more money which I think he would take the issue is the compo is based on base salary not the total after incentives so it probably only gets them band 2 at best and for dodo he would match.

Yep, hence the reason why I think we can't get him without trading for him. And we know what Dodoro is like there, he will want two of our firsts..

Would be a shocking deal to do, and a miserable message to send to our playing group and to the supporters.

Take last Friday night as a prime example of what is holding the club back from achieving premiership success at this point. How on earth does adding Luke Breust to the mix for that game make any really positive difference to what we would have generated on the night? He's a finisher, not a difference-maker. Even getting him to the club would be a mistake, let alone paying anything significant for 'the privilege'.

These rumours are beyond belief. So unless Wells himself comes out and announces a specific interest in recruiting Breust, I'm taking the view that it's little more than rampant speculation and a whole lot of 1+1=11 from the media scribes involved.
So w
If Cockatoo is going to Brisbane (or another new home), then our medical staff will probably enjoy the recruitment of Daniher as it means they'll be required

I'm not totally anti Daniher, just don't believe that he's worth the price that we'd likely have to pay - I wouldn't want to be overpaying in wages to stop Essendon matching, nor would I want to give up multiple first round picks for him when he's only played 14 games over the past 3 years

If we knew that he'd return to good 2016/2017 form, you'd pay it in a heartbeat. But just hesitant with his recent injury history & unknown which version we'd be getting
Yes we all know of his injuries so are willing to take a punt to win a flag?

Look I'd pay him 600 per year for 3 with games and incentive clauses for a 4th and 5thh year and more money which I think he would take the issue is the compo is based on base salary not the total after incentives so it probably only gets them band 2 at best and for dodo he would match.

Just as a rough estimate .... do you think we are serious about 1, 2 3, or more of these players we are linked to..?

and for the RFA players... Cameron, Crouch, Viney, Daniher. .... do you see other their current clubs taking comp and not matching if its band2 ?

See if i see things right ..

I think we have benchmarked the 650-700 range as the ballpark for band1 ? Maybe we could do that for 2 players ...but it would be hard going as I do not think Ablett or Taylor are on top dollars now..

so with a player like Daniher at ess ..whats more like that we pay him band1 and they accept that.. maybe side trade conveniently allows another player they like to land at ess ...... or we offer what we feel is fair , band2 money , ess match... and we then start trading with them... ?

There dilemma is a band 1 comp is what all want and for ess it is going to be top 10 at worst but probably around 8 or 9 .... depends on other nga's and other FAs....

With so much doubt on the nga and FS type picks , add comp for FA .... our later picks sound alright as R1 ..but I think 1 early pick may appeal. more than two late....

meanwhile Crows will only allow Crouch to go as a FA if they get band1 ... luckily Melb and GWS. are higher than Ess..

Last edited:
The offer part is the least of the worries. I mean the Bombers would get pick 6. No club could trump that. Case closed. I’m not sure any player whose barely played for 3 years price is a top 5 pick. Our picks are likely to be 11, 14 and maybe 18 and can only get worse. We saw last year clubs have zero interest trading top 6 picks for multiple late 1st rounders.

The only reason Adel refused their Como was because it was to be pick 14 and we had much better.

Unless the afl dodgy the compo as with frawley daniher can't get band 1 or can crouch unless they get 5 years on 700k or more without injury protection clauses which club's won't risk on their injury records so they will get pick 20 compo at best. Only Cameron will get a band 1 level offer as he is durable.

Just as a rough estimate .... do you think we are serious about 1, 2 3, or more of these players we are linked to..?

and for the RFA players... Cameron, Crouch, Viney, Daniher. .... do you see other their current clubs taking comp and not matching if its band2 ?

See if im see thing right ..

I think we have benchmarked the 650-700 range as the ballpark for band1 ? Maybe we could do that for 2 players ...but it would be hard going as I do not think Ablett or Taylor are on top dollars now..

so with a player like Daniher at ess ..whats more like that we pay him band1 and they accept that.. maybe side trade conveniently allows another player they like to land at ess ...... or we offer what we feel is fair , band2 money , ess match... and we then start trading with them... ?

There dilemma is a band 1 comp is what all want and for ess it is going to be top 10 at worst but probably around 8 or 9 .... depends on other nga's and other FAs....

With so much doubt on the nga and FS type picks , add comp for FA .... our later picks sound alright as R1 ..but I think 1 early pick may appeal. more than two late....

meanwhile Crows will only allow Crouch to go as a FA if they get band1 ... luckily Melb and GWS. are higher than Ess..

I think we are serious about them all but we want Cameron mainly. Until Finlayson signed I thought we would only get crouch but I think Cameron might still be possible.

Some side trade with Essendon is possible if we won't pay daniher band 1 money.

I wonder if Swans are in play for Cameron as a post-Buddy play.

Buddy's deal is backended til 2022 I doubt they can afford Cameron hence they want daniher.

Yep, hence the reason why I think we can't get him without trading for him. And we know what Dodoro is like there, he will want two of our firsts..

I don't think it's so much that he'd want 2 of our current first round picks, but more that he'd be requesting pick 11 and that we then find a top 10 pick to accompany that - so essentially we then turn our 2 later first round picks into a single higher picks, or trade a combination of pick & player/s to get it done

The question then becomes how much would we be willing to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back