Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I see Wines leaving as the only way they can fit him in. Geelong gives him the perennial contender he wants though, and it's not Melbourne.
Port's age demographic suggests they only have one round left in the chamber. Crouch was pretty clear about only going to a club with sustained chances at success. Doubt that Port figure in that mix although it would keep him with his girl and his brother. He would vomit a lot though.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
McLeod was also a premiership magpie at 18.
The pick 2 guy will be good

It means that if the deal is right and he nets us band 1 compo the club are certain to let him go. You only have to listen to any of his interviews in the last month to understand that.

He knows it, and listening to him tonight solidified that.
And that's good.

That's the responsible, club first, tough decision that needs to be made.

Awww he's playing really well and his brother's here... his girlfriend is from Adelaide... he loves the club and doesn't want to leave

The feel goody stuff needs to stay out of the mix.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Port's age demographic suggests they only have one round left in the chamber. Crouch was pretty clear about only going to a club with sustained chances at success. Doubt that Port figure in that mix although it would keep him with his girl and his brother. He would vomit a lot though.
Maybe that's why the tone of his interview was how it was, he knows that's his best chance at the whole package

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

And that's good.

Awww he's playing really well and his brother's here... his girlfriend is from Adelaide... he loves the club and doesn't want to leave

It's an interesting scenario.

We've lost a lot of talent in recent times, particularly in midfield and here we have the best of the lot who actually wants to stay, and we have to make the choice to flick him.

I do wonder what it'll take for us to keep him. It's clear we want Band 1 compo, so if we don't get it and we want to trade, then what is an acceptable deal for us ?? If indeed it is Geelong and Port leading the charge I just can't see them handing over what we will want in return.

It's an interesting scenario.

We've lost a lot of talent in recent times, particularly in midfield and here we have the best of the lot who actually wants to stay, and we have to make the choice to flick him.

I do wonder what it'll take for us to keep him. It's clear we want Band 1 compo, so if we don't get it and we want to trade, then what is an acceptable deal for us ?? If indeed it is Geelong and Port leading the charge I just can't see them handing over what we will want in return.

Brad being the "best of the lot" is the issue. He's our best, but he's clearly not one of the competition's best. The smart move is to take a risk, cash in and hope his replacement will be better

Jack McKraken

All Australian
Jan 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

And that's good.

Time to be strong and do what’s best for the club. Let’s not be seduced by the last three weeks, we need to take pick 2 if it’s on offer. Brad remaining at the crows would be a waste.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm in the camp of staying, but I wasn't there 3-4 weeks ago, Just a lot seems to of changed he seems to be extremely enjoying his time playing and you can just tell that the Nicks has got the team extremely close and happy again. I'm sure he loves playing with his brother also like if he's on 600K now and he's getting offers of 750K I'm sure we can meet in the middle on a $700K 3 year deal with a trigger for a fourth.

We still have a sh*t tonne of picks in the draft.
Agree. And we could be trying to engineer another top 6 pick even if we retain brad by targeting sydney..maybe pick 20 and the gws pick for pick 3

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Few interesting tibits. List sizes possibly only 38 with NO rookies.

Gallucci hasnt been offered a contract yet.

Neither has others including Harto and Mackay.

Oct 1, 2004
The Bay
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
We keep him on market rate or just under. That’s how all the top teams stay top - with over half a dozen top tier players in it together all on similar amounts. Good money shared around.

We never have top ten picks. We just had one fall in our laps from the failing Giants and now we want another? Keep Brad, manipulate the points with Bulldogs/Swans and bring good SA kids home. There are more than a few this year and it helps us get our identity back. Good timing for once.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Groom then. Same difference.

Cornesy has admitted he wouldn't have traded Groom if he was still in charge.

Who did the Hawks trade for Pick 1?

What does this mean?

Whatever decision we make will be the right one, whichever way we go?
Lol why on earth would anyone admit to that. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lol why on earth would anyone admit to that. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
For someone who comes off as a know-it-all he's actually quite honest and able to self appraise in regards to his own coaching career

May 4, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

And that's good.

Was 50/50 before, but now I'm all for keeping Brouch! Remember how we all said that we needed to be ruthless like Hawthorn and ship off their key players (i.e. Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell)? They're an absolute shambles of a club now with a list on par/worse than North Melbourne.

Keeping Brouch (when he wants to stay, loves the club/Adelaide) helps creates a culture which other players will want to be part of. This is how you attract others to the club!

Now the key issue is now, what do we do with pick 1 (Hollands or Thilt) and how to deal with the abundance of players that need midfield minutes (Jones/McHerny/Hately?)?.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Was 50/50 before, but now I'm all for keeping Brouch! Remember how we all said that we needed to be ruthless like Hawthorn and ship off their key players (i.e. Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell)? They're an absolute shambles of a club now with a list on par/worse than North Melbourne.

Keeping Brouch (when he wants to stay, loves the club/Adelaide) helps creates a culture which other players will want to be part of. This is how you attract others to the club!

Now the key issue is now, what do we do with pick 1 (Hollands or Thilt) and how to deal with the abundance of players that need midfield minutes (Jones/McHerny/Hately?)?.
None of them were where B Crouch is now. They netted the Hawks stuff all.

It would be like us trading Walker now.

Think Hawks trading Trent Croad to Fremantle

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
I have two big issues with the Brad Crouch trade vs re-sign dilemma:

1) Crows have an awful reputation when it comes to player retention. Brad has openly said he wants to stay, albeit on the right terms, the coach has also said he wants to keep him. If we’re seen to push a player out the door under those circumstances how does that help our reputation and culture around a club that wants to keep high end interstate talent?

2) The draft is an absolute lottery - even in sports with more money and more tracking of draft age players teams routinely get their first round picks wrong. There’s been plenty of top 5 draft picks that turn out to be busts. Our recent top end picks have yet to prove themselves as anything more than “okay”. What makes us think we will pick a player better than Brad Crouch?

Doing this gives us access to the elite skills usually found in the top 10 picks. I've said repeatly I want us to take Thilthorpe and McDonald followed by a couple of mids. Next year, more mids when we pick top ten again.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sometimes the Crows fans amaze me, we have a guy that won our best and fairest at the club and loves this club.

We bitch and moan when a good player leaves and we have a great player that wants to stay but people want a speculative pick for him. Yes pick 2 might be a good player but it might also be a complete bust.

If we show these young players that we will honour players that love and want to stay at the club then they will hopefully do the same. I think we will get him at unders of what he is actually worth because he wants to be here!

I think keeping him will do more for our club and all our current young players than pick 2. Just my opinion

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sometimes the Crows fans amaze me, we have a guy that won our best and fairest at the club and loves this club.

We b*tch and moan when a good player leaves and we have a great player that wants to stay but people want a speculative pick for him. Yes pick 2 might be a good player but it might also be a complete bust.

If we show these young players that we will honour players that love and want to stay at the club then they will hopefully do the same. I think we will get him at unders of what he is actually worth because he wants to be here!

I think keeping him will do more for our club and all our current young players than pick 2. Just my opinion
That's the Lynch and Sloane thinking. We were so excited that some good players actually wanted to stay that we overpaid. Those deals not looking so good now.

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

We b*tch and moan when a good player leaves and we have a great player that wants to stay but people want a speculative pick for him. Yes pick 2 might be a good player but it might also be a complete bust.

Pick 2 is a risk and Brad Crouch is a risk. This will not be the only decision we make this year, much less during the time we build a list for our next premiership tilt. We need to look at risk v reward on the basis that we will make dozens of similar decisions and play for the best overall outcome. If pick 2 is the next Dusty/ Carey or the next Watts doesn't matter at the end of the day, if the sum of our decisions gets us the next Dusty and the next Carey.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 2 is a risk and Brad Crouch is a risk. This will not be the only decision we make this year, much less during the time we build a list for our next premiership tilt. We need to look at risk v reward on the basis that we will make dozens of similar decisions and play for the best overall outcome. If pick 2 is the next Dusty/ Carey or the next Watts doesn't matter at the end of the day, if the sum of our decisions gets us the next Dusty and the next Carey.

This is a football club and not a game of chess. When you have good people that want to be at the football club and are happy to do the right thing by the club then you keep them.

Doesn’t matter if we get the next Watts!!!!

Keeping Brad is not as risky as choosing a player that has never proven themselves at AFL level

Pragmatically, we should be letting Brad go if we get pick two. Its our Trent Croad to Fremantle moment. A very good player though one who had his ceiling curtailed by injuries, we desperately need young talent (as all rebuilding sides do), and we have enough experienced players to get us through the difficult parts of this rebuild if they don't fall into the pit. Brad is very much the right player for the wrong time at the moment.

Players will only want to stay if we pay them fairly compared to what they are worth and are actually competitive for premierships. Keeping Brad or not will do absolutely nothing to whether we keep or lose players that matter for this rebuild.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pragmatically, we should be letting Brad go if we get pick two. Its our Trent Croad to Fremantle moment. A very good player though one who had his ceiling curtailed by injuries, we desperately need young talent (as all rebuilding sides do), and we have enough experienced players to get us through the difficult parts of this rebuild if they don't fall into the pit. Brad is very much the right player for the wrong time at the moment.

Players will only want to stay if we pay them fairly compared to what they are worth and are actually competitive for premierships. Keeping Brad or not will do absolutely nothing to whether we keep or lose players that matter for this rebuild.

Well you and I actually have no idea if Brad staying or leaving will have an affect we keep or lose players. Just my opinion it shows zero loyalty to our players and says we will push them out the door if we can. Sometimes doing the right is actually doing the right thing

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is a football club and not a game of chess. When you have good people that want to be at the football club and are happy to do the right thing by the club then you keep them.

Doesn’t matter if we get the next Watts!!!!

Keeping Brad is not as risky as choosing a player that has never proven themselves at AFL level
Actually, keeping Brad is riskier for our next flag tilt than taking an unproven kid at pick 2.

Don't get me wrong, if we don't get pick 2, I think we have to keep Brad. But pick 2 in 4 years time (on average) will do more for us than Brad.

Back