Rumour GFC 2020 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crouch is a decent enough player but not the kind I want chewing up $800k of cap. I hope we miss out on him.

Daniher is an immense talent but huge injury queries. Essendon will match a bid so your going to have to give up two late first rounders to get him. I couldn’t justify that given the injury risk.

Cameron is a perfect fit but on huge dollars. He’d be the highest paid at Geelong on his current salary. Upside is you probably don’t get a bid match from GWS. Don’t think the noises are showing signs he’s coming here. The fact we are sniffing around others (inc Daniher) suggests we have been rebuffed.

Viney is a workhorse and would be OK as a Selwood-lite warrior. Hard to see him moving given family link.

For all of the others linked to us - Gunston, Breust, etc. - they’re all small plays in a trade sense. They are either at the end of their careers and not worthy of big money or high picks or lower profile types. That’s not to say they couldn’t be useful or wouldn’t be worth trading for but I’m not going to get too excited one way or another.

Not a bad option - Constable would go well at Essendon I reckon

Agree..the key is getting a player who wants to go there as we don't have push trades.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
For me, its

Cameron
Daniher
Pick any accumulator...
Think we were fairly open about our interest in Cameron last time he was being discussed. I appreciate why as he can be used in multiple roles. So I can believe the interest is still there. However, I can't find anywhere where the club has even hinted at an interest in Daniher who is fairly much a stay-at-home forward with a long history of injury. Just find it hard to believe we'd want him.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I mean you can't trade a best 22 player for a nothing pick but a fringe player you can.
Remember that year north traded Delaney for 77 so stkilds didn't match dal. You could also use pick swaps that benefit both sides if needed to get it past ken wood.

Ah yeah, I do remember that one. Yeah we should be able to work something out. Definitely don't see us offering enough to trigger band one compo for the Dons based on his injury history. There is no way we will be offering $700k for 5-years given his injury history.

Crouch is a decent enough player but not the kind I want chewing up $800k of cap. I hope we miss out on him.

Daniher is an immense talent but huge injury queries. Essendon will match a bid so your going to have to give up two late first rounders to get him. I couldn’t justify that given the injury risk.

Cameron is a perfect fit but on huge dollars. He’d be the highest paid at Geelong on his current salary. Upside is you probably don’t get a bid match from GWS. Don’t think the noises are showing signs he’s coming here. The fact we are sniffing around others (inc Daniher) suggests we have been rebuffed.

Viney is a workhorse and would be OK as a Selwood-lite warrior. Hard to see him moving given family link.

For all of the others linked to us - Gunston, Breust, etc. - they’re all small plays in a trade sense. They are either at the end of their careers and not worthy of big money or high picks or lower profile types. That’s not to say they couldn’t be useful or wouldn’t be worth trading for but I’m not going to get too excited one way or another.

I thought Cameron was a no until Finlayson signed today that indicates Cameron might still be on.

Funnily enough with Essendon Sydney being keen helps..if they think his preference is Geelong but he would pick Sydney over going back to them then it forces them to deal him to us for relative unders as we won't get him in the draft but they will. I wouldn't trade 2 R1s for him either so we will see if dodo is more reasonable.

Crouch would be a good addition if it's 600k not 800k.

Melbourne might let viney go as they have a lot of that player type.

Agree on the rest.

Ah yeah, I do remember that one. Yeah we should be able to work something out. Definitely don't see us offering enough to trigger band one compo for the Dons based on his injury history. There is no way we will be offering $700k for 5-years given his injury history.

If we offer 5 it's with injury clauses and the compo doesn't factor that in so I agree we offer them a band 2 result at best.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
The more I think about Breust in our line-up the more I like it. Having Hawkins, Miers, Breust and Rohan all as incredibly accurate kicks at goal would hurt opponents. Then if you add Cameron as well, bingo.
I would prefer also to aim at Angus Brayshaw for his I50 precision to add to the forward craft and not Crouch or Viney who kick and hope a little.

The more I think about Breust in our line-up the more I like it. Having Hawkins, Miers, Breust and Rohan all as incredibly accurate kicks at goal would hurt opponents. Then if you add Cameron as well, bingo.
I would prefer also to aim at Angus Brayshaw for his I50 precision to add to the forward craft and not Crouch or Viney who kick and hope a little.

The issue is hawthorn will want more for him than his age is worth.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think it's so much that he'd want 2 of our current first round picks, but more that he'd be requesting pick 11 and that we then find a top 10 pick to accompany that - so essentially we then turn our 2 later first round picks into a single higher picks, or trade a combination of pick & player/s to get it done

The question then becomes how much would we be willing to pay

I hope we walk away altogether if we have to trade for Daniher.

Rather use 3 picks on the draft than get Daniher.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
It's hard to know because we don't know how the cap reduction changes the formula. But on current formula it's minimum 700k for 5 Years to get band 1.

I think the 5 year aspect is a bit hard to reconcile , I would have thought length of contract is just anther facet that a club may have to match ... but Im not sure sio you may be right.. I was under the impression its base over two years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Where is all this talk about trading for Daniher???? It will not happen. Read the tea leaves

Essendon will not be a laughing stock again if he requests out AGAIN. They will get pick 6 and there is no way in hell they risk him walking for nothing to maybe squeeze a fraction more than that. In all honesty he’s not worth more than pick 6 even if he was contracted with his history.

If he leaves it will be via free agency. Bookmark it.

Where is all this talk about trading for Daniher???? It will not happen. Read the tea leaves

Essendon will not be a laughing stock again if he requests out AGAIN. They will get pick 6 and there is no way in hell they risk him walking for nothing to maybe squeeze a fraction more than that. In all honesty he’s not worth more than pick 6 even if he was contracted with his history.

If he leaves it will be via free agency. Bookmark it.

How do you think he will get band 1 compo?

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
How do you think he will get band 1 compo?
If you don’t think a player of Danihers stature will qualify for a band 1 Contract then you are right we won’t get him. He will be on great coin.

Throw in the fact the “AFL” always manage to work it so that clubs outside the 8 losing players to top 8 sides always get looked after.

If you don’t think a player of Danihers stature will qualify for a band 1 Contract then you are right we won’t get him. He will be on great coin.

Throw in the fact the “AFL” always manage to work it so that clubs outside the 8 losing players to top 8 sides always get looked after.

Under their formula he can't get band 1 unless a club offers him way above what any reasonable club will. Then again they did dodgy the compo for frawley.

If there is one thing we dont need its antoher defender. Still got clark to come back into tge team as the line breaking defender. Bews also doing a reasonable job this year.

we need a hawkins replacement. A ruck. An offensive half foward flanker
We do actually need tall defenders. The youngest defender on the list over 195cm to have played a game is Blitz and he'll be 30 by round 1 next year and probably needs to ruck a bit.

Outside Blitz its Taylor who will probably retire, Hendo who isn't even contracted for next year yet, the DEK who hasn't played and needs to add bulk to impact at AFL level, then Schlensog if he's not delisted.

All our other defenders are 190-193cm of which I think Kolo is the only one over 191. A couple of injuries could see us lining up real short against West Coast or Richmond. Port had a backline with a similar height profile and they've been exposed a couple of times

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
We do actually need tall defenders. The youngest defender on the list over 195cm to have played a game is Blitz and he'll be 30 by round 1 next year and probably needs to ruck a bit.

Outside Blitz its Taylor who will probably retire, Hendo who isn't even contracted for next year yet, the DEK who hasn't played and needs to add bulk to impact at AFL level, then Schlensog if he's not delisted.

All our other defenders are 190-193cm of which I think Kolo is the only one over 191. A couple of injuries could see us lining up real short against West Coast or Richmond. Port had a backline with a similar height profile and they've been exposed a couple of times

To be fair though, KPD's are pretty easy to pick up, and Blics still has at least 3 years left. Can just wait another year or two, and get one through FA/Trade. A ton will be available with list cuts coming, so I don't think it's a worry or an immediate need

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Geelong in 95 ☹

Thanks for bringing that up. ;)

Seriously, though, Cats narrowly lost a '97 semi to the eventual premiers, with many still saying we were just about robbed in that game at Football Park.

So we didn't actually spend more than a couple of years out of the finals, even then. '01 to '03 was barren, but we were back in a prelim the very next year.

In fact, since 1989, we've played finals in 23 out of 32 seasons (including this year). Little wonder some here are fed up with just playing finals and simply want to be gifted the flag every second season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back