2020 Trade & List Management discussion

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sometimes the Crows fans amaze me, we have a guy that won our best and fairest at the club and loves this club.

We b*tch and moan when a good player leaves and we have a great player that wants to stay but people want a speculative pick for him. Yes pick 2 might be a good player but it might also be a complete bust.

If we show these young players that we will honour players that love and want to stay at the club then they will hopefully do the same. I think we will get him at unders of what he is actually worth because he wants to be here!

I think keeping him will do more for our club and all our current young players than pick 2. Just my opinion
If the rumour of B.Crouch contacting GC last season for more money is true then....

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
I was pretty set on McDonald this year at 1 but I’m warming on Hollands. I think we definitely do need another quality key forward though for the future. The dream would be to go Mid-Mid this year with our first rounders, get Horne next year and then get Luko back to play CHF when he comes out of contract.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the rumour of B.Crouch contacting GC last season for more money is true then....

Nobody actually knows if that happened so it could be 100% Tom Browne made up bullshit

I haven’t listened to his recent interview but it looks like the comments in here seem to think he (out of his own mouth) lives the club and wants to stay

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sometimes the Crows fans amaze me, we have a guy that won our best and fairest at the club and loves this club.

We b*tch and moan when a good player leaves and we have a great player that wants to stay but people want a speculative pick for him. Yes pick 2 might be a good player but it might also be a complete bust.

If we show these young players that we will honour players that love and want to stay at the club then they will hopefully do the same. I think we will get him at unders of what he is actually worth because he wants to be here!

I think keeping him will do more for our club and all our current young players than pick 2. Just my opinion
I think the thing that makes it a tough call either way is Brad Crouch hasn't really got to that elite, game winning level as a midfielder. Don't get me wrong, he's played some very good games in the midfield but he hasn't reached the level where we can rely on him week in/week out to go out and carry us over the line. He hasn't got to the level where the opposition need to focus on stopping him ever week, if he was at that level then we'd have signed him up.

I still feel like there's potential for him to further develop and get closer to that level but he's not there yet which makes the potential pick 2 a tempting offer as you can gamble on the player becoming more what we hoped Brad would. He's also someone who's body has let him down numerous times so we'd be getting away from that risk as well.

I'm probably still on the keep him boat as I don't think it should take us 4 odd years to bounce back and I think having a strong core midfield group will see us bounce back quicker and help those around them develop faster. Bonus is obviously having someone that wants to hang around which is good for club culture.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nobody actually knows if that happened so it could be 100% Tom Browne made up bullshit

I haven’t listened to his recent interview but it looks like the comments in here seem to think he (out of his own mouth) lives the club and wants to stay
I thought from GC's respond, they made a backhand comment that this did happened.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
In relation to Jones, he's added a lot of strength to his body after his first year ......I've heard it takes a while for a player to become adjusted to carrying the extra weight

It maybe that he's doubting his pace with the weight, and it's impacting his game, which relies on pace ...... again something I'm told takes another PS to become accustomed to
That's an interesting point. I'm a fan of Jones - he's got everything needed to make it IMO - but he's almost looked slow this year (I was at the GWS game and paid particular attention at the time, and it was really noticeable). I haven't been able to work out why, but you're theory would make sense (as he's noticeably filled out this year).

I genuinely reckon he'll come good next year

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
One thing we know is most of these big deals are arranged 12 months in advance. My guess is he agreed to terms last year with another club but despite the results and with some personal events he has appreciated Adelaide more in 2020. He will still go but in a different frame of mind.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins

Everyone of you are forgetting we traded Godra. So trading Brad won't hurt as much as that did.

Sep 8, 2008
argentina
AFL Club
Adelaide

Few interesting tibits. List sizes possibly only 38 with NO rookies.

Gallucci hasnt been offered a contract yet.

Neither has others including Harto and Mackay.

Wow, 38 no rookies. Going to be a hell of a job getting the list balance right. Also means a few good players from clubs getting cut

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who are the Hodge, Ball and Judd available in the draft now? Is there any consensus?

Last year it's a no brainer. This year different story I think.
None of them were where B Crouch is now. They netted the Hawks stuff all.

It would be like us trading Walker now.

Think Hawks trading Trent Croad to Fremantle

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Club will not win its next flag without making some risks and being bold.

I would rather take a chance on Pick 2 then keep Brad. Its a horrible situation, its not like say Dangerfield of 2015 here. Its Brad Crouch, he isnt even in the Top 15 mids in the comp. In fact not even in the Top 20.

Trigger13

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port's age demographic suggests they only have one round left in the chamber. Crouch was pretty clear about only going to a club with sustained chances at success. Doubt that Port figure in that mix although it would keep him with his girl and his brother. He would vomit a lot though.

I’m sorry but Port are looking every bit a side that will be around the mark for a long time. Some of the best kids going around. They have blokes like Hayes, Bergman and Williams, who are by all reports very good talents. Then there’s Jones and Schofield, followed by arguably the most exciting talent of all in Burgoyne coming next year. They are building quite the list. If the footy world can see that, then so can Brad.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
McLeod was also a premiership magpie at 18.

It means that if the deal is right and he nets us band 1 compo the club are certain to let him go. You only have to listen to any of his interviews in the last month to understand that.

He knows it, and listening to him tonight solidified that.
McLeod had won a premiership, and Chris Groom was probably the equivalent of Himmelburg MAYBE. Certainly not Brad Crouch.

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
God is not a Crows fan. Best draft hand in our history and our most promising crop of Academy & F/S picks. Then a global pandemic hits and we can't watch the majority of the juniors play and our list sizes may be cut by up to 6 spots. So sad it is almost funny.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping those 2 guys
Keeping in Sloane's case, no. Til 2023 on top dollar, yes, which is what I meant by overpaying

Lynch...? Comparing what we've got from his since his latest extension to what we could have traded him for... a moment for pause at the very least.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
McLeod had won a premiership, and Chris Groom was probably the equivalent of Himmelburg MAYBE. Certainly not Brad Crouch.
It's popular to relegate Groom to punchline status because the deal looks even sweeter for us. Reality is two ACLs swung the balance even further in our favour.

B Crouch will be 27 going into next seaaon. A zero time All Australian and won't have reached 100 games. If he is indispensable then any player with trade value whatsoever is indispensable.

Jack McKraken

All Australian
Jan 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Actually, keeping Brad is riskier for our next flag tilt than taking an unproven kid at pick 2.

Don't get me wrong, if we don't get pick 2, I think we have to keep Brad. But pick 2 in 4 years time (on average) will do more for us than Brad.
This in a nutshell. Keeping Brad does nothing to bring us closer to our next premiership. Getting pick 2 could.

I’d rather take the risk and hopefully (with a fair likelihood of it happening) land an elite player who will take us one step closer.

As to players staying or going, I don’t think letting Brad go changes anything. The new world order has player movements increasing every year. They will almost always do what’s best for them. Let’s do what’s best for our club (and Brad’s career - he will be wasted staying with us).

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This in a nutshell. Keeping Brad does nothing to bring us closer to our next premiership. Getting pick 2 could.

I’d rather take the risk and hopefully (with a fair likelihood of it happening) land an elite player who will take us one step closer.

As to players staying or going, I don’t think letting Brad go changes anything. The new world order has player movements increasing every year. They will almost always do what’s best for them. Let’s do what’s best for our club (and Brad’s career - he will be wasted staying with us).

And this is the reason we have a s**t culture at this footy club..... we can try and blame it on the big wigs etc but it’s actually our fans

Don’t pretend we are doing something for Brad, he knows what he is doing and he wants to stay (probably for a little under what he is actually worth)

If players don’t trust the club to do the right thing by them when they are doing the right thing for the club then why stay here! Then at the drop of a hat the fans say yeah get rid of him, the way supporters talk about Atkins and Mackay is ridiculous, these guys play for the club we support and do the right thing by the club and the fans treat them like garbage. I get why players leave thus club

Jack McKraken

All Australian
Jan 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And this is the reason we have a sh*t culture at this footy club..... we can try and blame it on the big wigs etc but it’s actually our fans

Don’t pretend we are doing something for Brad, he knows what he is doing and he wants to stay (probably for a little under what he is actually worth)

If players don’t trust the club to do the right thing by them when they are doing the right thing for the club then why stay here! Then at the drop of a hat the fans say yeah get rid of him, the way supporters talk about Atkins and Mackay is ridiculous, these guys play for the club we support and do the right thing by the club and the fans treat them like garbage. I get why players leave thus club

With all due respect, you couldn’t be more wrong. The players do what’s best for them, not the club. Likewise, the club needs to do what’s best for it. Does hawthorn have a poor culture? They were ruthless in trying to extend their window.

Success will do more to build our culture than providing long term lucrative contracts to players. We’ve seen first hand how long term contracts can go wrong.

To be blunt- if Brad has reasons why he doesn’t want to leave, he would have signed already. He wants it both ways- maximum value without the discomfort of moving. At our stage, he’s not worth that value. Should we sign him to be the good guys?

And to suggest our culture issues do not start at the top are absolutely laughable.

There are sound arguments for keeping Brad - I don’t agree with them, but they are there. Keeping him, knowing our position, his ceiling and his injury issues, if pick 2 is on the table in a futile attempt to create culture is not one of them. It sets us back, and gels with our previous history of “being in the 8 is good enough”. The only way this keeps players around is because they know we can be bent over a barrel to extract maximum value. I’d rather players stay here because they love the club.

Last edited:
Back