briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Look mate, do you know how I stated earlier that there's only about 10 people on the draft board who are worth reading?

Well, unfortunately, you're not one of them.

You're just flat out wrong.
You haven’t provided any evidence to the contrary.

So far it’s been your opinion versus my opinion.

And my opinion is strongly influenced by those 10 who are worth reading. The AFL draft central crew, Davo, PMBangers, Smyth and the couple of other contributors who attend the NAB League and school footy games and report on them. Plus Twomey and what he reports from the recruiters.

Souup

May 8, 2005
How different is he from Jack Mahony?

He's a better athlete in every way possible - quicker, more agility, better top speed, better leap, stronger etc.

Mahoney has Durdin covered for footy smarts and skills, but that's not to say Durdin isn't a good footballer or is a low IQ one - it's just the thing that sets Mahoney apart from other similar players and led to us taking him where we did despite his athletic deficiencies.

Mahoney is a poor man's Caleb Daniel (the thing I'm trying to emphasize here with the comparison to Daniel is the IQ and elite skills) whereas I'd compare Durdin to a poor man's Brent Harvey/Brett Daniel's (trying to emphasize his speed/agility)

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
I'd like you to tell me a better younger KPD that approaches Andrews style as a defender. Weitering perhaps? Then who?

I repeat, We. Already. Have. One.

View attachment 963385
You realise that Andrews is only a year older? I don't want someone that approaches Andrews I want someone that will be the best. McKay looks like he'll actually play AFL but he's never going to be one of the best defenders in the competition.

Passmore

May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
Norf
Anyway, something I mentioned on the draft board that relates to North.

Basically my view is, if McDonald is there at your first pick, draft him.

Phillips is not that far ahead of the likes of O’Driscoll, Bruhn, Macrae and Trew.

And with Hollands injury, we don’t know how it will affect his game yet. And there are a few similar players that will also be available around your “Melbourne” pick in, Perkins, Ford and Carroll.

And there’s also the possibility of one of Davis, Berry or Maher being on board at your second round pick.

If McDonald is seen to be that good, surely he won’t be there at 2. If that’s the case, assuming his knee gets the all clear, we could not possibly pass on Hollands, I wouldn’t think. The upside is huge.

Phillyroo

Jan 17, 2014
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Wrong again.

We won't be taking McDonald at pick 2.

Do you want to bet your account on it?
If Crows take Hollands, I think it is quite conceivable that we take McDonald.... I know you aren’t on board with this, but I believe North are serious about moving Brown on.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
If Crows take Hollands, I think it is quite conceivable that we take McDonald.... I know you aren’t on board with this, but I believe North are serious about moving Brown on.
I think this is a correct read of the tea leaves. Hope it's not a disaster for us. Don't really see why we're doing it unless we're getting well compensated.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You haven’t provided any evidence to the contrary.

So far it’s been your opinion versus my opinion.

You seem to be under the delusion that yours automatically holds some weight.

Phillyroo

Jan 17, 2014
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
I think this is a correct read of the tea leaves. Hope it's not a disaster for us. Don't really see why we're doing it unless we're getting well compensated.
Brown will be seeking 4-5 years on big money. I don’t think it fits our list profile, our age demographic, or the build process to sign him to that deal. A bit of pain the next two years might be the result, but building a well structured team at the right age profile is (could be) worth the that pain.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah, and?

Say what?
I want someone who can on the field and statistically recreate what Andrews does for the Lions. Ben McKay does not do that as shown by your own statistics. He gets 66% of the one percenters, less than half as many rebounds, 40% as many contested marks and also falls over a lot. He's nothing like him.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I want someone who can on the field and statistically recreate what Andrews does for the Lions. Ben McKay does not do that as shown by your own statistics. He gets 66% of the one percenters, less than half as many rebounds, 40% as many contested marks and also falls over a lot. He's nothing like him.

He's played 14 games of football, the other bloke has played 111!

Experience wise, he's tracking more than well.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
Brown will be seeming 4-5 years on big money. I don’t think it fits our list profile, our age demographic, or the build process to sign him to that deal. A bit of pain the next two years might be the result, but building a well structured team at the right age profile is (could be) worth the that pain.
It's not like we're full of guys who demand big money though. We'd have plenty of room in the kitty. If it's just to get his contract off the books I'm not convinced it's worth what it could do to us on and off field.

Phillyroo

Jan 17, 2014
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
It's not like we're full of guys who demand big money though. We'd have plenty of room in the kitty. If it's just to get his contract off the books I'm not convinced it's worth what it could do to us on and off field.
Not now we are not... correct.
But... hear me out here.
We take 3 (or 4) first rounders this year.
2 more next year.
And hit FA hard in 2021-2022.
Add the cream to the list build with the money we saved on Brown.

Psicosis

May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
Don't think we can afford to pick for need with Pick 2 or Pick 9 - We will pick best available, which is the right decision.

Pick 2

Reading through all the phantoms there appears to be a clear top three - in no particular order: Hollands, JUH, McDonald. Unless we rate Phillips in that top 3, it is HIGHLY likely that we will end up with either Hollands or McDonald. I'm pro moving on Brown, but hypothetically if we keep Brown and Adelaide take Hollands, I still think we take McDonald.

Pick 9

A much bigger pool of potential players, it is likely we can blend "best available" approach with "need" at this pick, for example if we take McDonald it's likely we take a mid at this pick. Some serious talent available at this pick regardless, with Bruhn, Cox, Phillips, O'Driscoll, Carroll, Henry, Thrilthorpe, Perkins all possibilities.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
Not now we are not... correct.
But... hear me out here.
We take 3 (or 4) first rounders this year.
2 more next year.
And hit FA hard in 2021-2022.
Add the cream to the list build with the money we saved on Brown.
Yeah, I get that. But the risk is that we lose more players after how we pushed out Brown and or make it to 2022 with Western Bulldogsesque key forward stocks. Could badly blow up in our faces and I think it's a bit too cute for where the club is at currently.

Sep 20, 2018
Harris Andrews played 19 games in his first season and averaged 5 1 percenters versus 9 over his career.

Harris Andrews was an all-Australian last year and I would suspect will be several more times in his career. He is in the top 2 or 3 for his position in the league if not the outright best. McKay can fall short of that standard and still be hugely valuable to North and we can contend with him in the team. No team can put out 22 guys that are all in the top 2 or 3 in the league for their positions.