News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont accept protecting the head has damaged the game, changed it, but nothing like going from 20 to 22 & interchange.

FREE WILLIE ..
And neither Champ or I said it had damaged the game, but it sure has changed it. The Umps and MRo are having difficulty interpreting the ever changing rules/interpretations/ focus of the week and as a result blokes are getting rubbed out for accidents resulting football actions. It could be argued that some of the rules have actually encouraged players to put themselves at greater risk of a head knock to win a free kick.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
And neither Champ or I said it had damaged the game, but it sure has changed it. The Umps and MRo are having difficulty interpreting the ever changing rules/interpretations/ focus of the week and as a result blokes are getting rubbed out for accidents resulting football actions. It could be argued that some of the rules have actually encouraged players to put themselves at greater risk of a head knock to win a free kick.

So let me get this straight. The rules have both prevented guys from putting head over ball and also encouraged guys to put their head over ball.

Well I guess you have it all covered.

Umpires can’t umpire well due to congestion and speed of game. People forget they don’t have a 3D birds eye view of the field like you do in your armchair.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So let me get this straight. The rules have both prevented guys from putting head over ball and also encouraged guys to put their head over ball.

Umpires can’t umpire well due to congestion and speed of game. People forget they don’t have a 3D birds eye view of the field like you do in your armchair.
Are you sure you quoted the correct post there buddy? You have none of it straight.

Nowhere has anyone said that new rules prevent players putting their head over the ball, in fact it sometimes results in guys recklessly leading with their head to draw high contact. I think you need to re- read previous posts.
Regarding umpires, have you not noticed the inconsistency week to week in rule interpretations? The congestion and speed is a constant within a season so that is not a reason. It's not what they can and can't see, it is the interpretations that are changing due to AFL directives or even media noise. Reference the holding the ball interpretation earlier this year after Clarko had a whinge and no doubt Gil gave the umps a stern talking to.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

The afl are linier thinkers. Problem? Change a rule to fix it bit dont think through teh resulting consequences of the change. Several melbourne players now lead with their head to gain protection from the umps - one day they will pay a horrible price.
Umpires follow instructions and the afl dont like decent. Just pay the free that are in the laws of the game and congestion will be minimised. It actually isnt that hard.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
It's only two months from now. And he was always going to get at least a year, if he's going to know the outcome by November I think that's a pretty positive outcome at this point. Also means it won't be a distraction while the season is on.
Justice delayed is justice denied.

So it’s after the grand final, ruling out any distractions to a premiership run, and before we have to lodge lists for the 2021 season?

From the club’s point of view the timing is about as good as we could have hoped for.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
My guess is 18 months. Missing all this year and half of next season.

would be ok with that tbh

18 months means his ban is lifted March 12.

He will also be able to return to the club to train one month before the ban ends, so would be able to train from February 12.

That would mean he could lineup for round 1 "all things being equal".

Would be a tremendous result.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Some reckon he will get 4 which would be the end of his career.
Hopefully for his sake he gets just 2.

4 is the absolute maximum he could get.

ASADA reserves it's maximum penalty for the most egregious cases.

Will be 18 months -2 years.

Back