2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the difference in $$$$ between our 2yr deal and Brisbane's 3 year deal isn't that much. Especially not enough to convince Smithy with a young family to move states.

It is beyond our control to keep him now, but there is little benefit for letting him go and take a small compo pick in the 50s - best case

As much as I love Issac Smith, I'm happy for him to explore his options so he can extend his playing career with another club while we look to rebuild.

Same here. It might also be easier for him to ply his trade and make a contribution in a successful team rather than cop scrutiny every time we lose with pundits saying we should play the kids.

As much as I love Issac Smith, I'm happy for him to explore his options so he can extend his playing career with another club while we look to rebuild.

Having said that though, we also need to be careful on how many old experienced premiership players we lose each season. We definitely need to drip feed it, because we need to keep some experienced players on our list to provide leadership and guidance to the kids we bring in via the draft. It's a balance.

Our wing position will definitely be worse in the next couple of years if we lose smith, but it also opens up a position for other players to have a crack at it as we transition and look to find a long term solution. Bit of short term pain for long term gain.

I'd hate to lose Isaac Smith. One of the heart beat players of the club.

We cannot lose all the experience or we'll end up like Melbourne or Carlton and spend years in the wilderness. You need older / experienced players to guide the youth. Isaac is young at heart and also he started late, so he's not as beaten up or run down as most his age.

As much as I wouldn’t begrudge someone like smith leaving right now - you’d hope he has it in him to stay. Played in 3 flags and arguably hardly played in a challenging year (mentally) over his entire career until the last 2.

Don’t think we would get anywhere near what we’re hoping for him either. Oh not to mention we’re dying for a line breaking wingman

Happy to hear we are interested in Preuss. I think he is a great target for us.

Not a star but ruckmen peak late. He's 25 and spent his career learning from Goldstein and Gawn. He's big and aggressive.

What would be a fair deal for Dees?

As a free agent I would take Corr. If we landed him, i'd move Frawley on.
He was traded to the Dees for Dom Tyson and pick 62.

So you’d think a 3rd rounder or maybe even a 4th would do it.

Smith could get us a second round pick as compensation. Daniel Wells moved to Collingwood on a three year deal at around $500,000 a season at age 31 and North received a second round pick.

From the above, I think even Hodge would have got us a decent pick. By retiring he took himself off the free agency list and had to go to Brisbane via trade so it never happened.

I’m only posting this because it might be the first sighting of everyone’s favorite trade week term......“the race”.

No no no don't want to deal with that F**kHead DODO

Saad a good player but frankly don't see his use on our list. He'd play Dimma's role and is probably a slight upgrade but I think with the emergence of Day, Scrimmers and Greaves' great first couple of games it might be a waste of a pick in the 20s we could use drafting a mid or KPP. Not to mention Impey getting back to 2019 form which was definitely as good as Saad's best playing in a similar position.

Any pace is good pace but there's a reason the name Adam 'RUN FAST THEN KICK AND TURN IT OVER' Saad has stuck in my head for a few years, even if he's improved his disposal.

Saad a good player but frankly don't see his use on our list. He'd play Dimma's role and is probably a slight upgrade but I think with the emergence of Day, Scrimmers and Greaves' great first couple of games it might be a waste of a pick in the 20s we could use drafting a mid or KPP. Not to mention Impey getting back to 2019 form which was definitely as good as Saad's best playing in a similar position.

Any pace is good pace but there's a reason the name Adam 'RUN FAST THEN KICK AND TURN IT OVER' Saad has stuck in my head for a few years, even if he's improved his disposal.

i guess the major benefit would be if it moved Impey (much prefer him off HB/Wing anyway) or Hardwick (was a gun as a junior but unknown entity at pro level) as a small pressure fwd which we are in dire need of. However I think we're better off raiding Richmond's cupboard to solve that issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m only posting this because it might be the first sighting of everyone’s favorite trade week term......“the race”.

The "race" is important.

Clubs are entering the race, leading the race, gaining ground, surging ahead, then withdrawing from the race.

Then the player ignores the race and just decides who he wants to play for! Unbelievable. Who do they think they are?

Then the player goes wherever he wants.
Unless of course Gill doesn't like the players choice, in which case he simply vetoes the race and the player.

Smith could get us a second round pick as compensation. Daniel Wells moved to Collingwood on a three year deal at around $500,000 a season at age 31 and North received a second round pick.

From the above, I think even Hodge would have got us a decent pick. By retiring he took himself off the free agency list and had to go to Brisbane via trade so it never happened.

TBH I'd take a second rounder for Smith. Though I think it will be swallowed-up with Downie, which may free up one of our third rounders.

TBH I'd take a second rounder for Smith. Though I think it will be swallowed-up with Downie, which may free up one of our third rounders.

If we get a second rounder for Smith we'll have Picks 21 + Pick 23 (before any Academy or FA shenanigans). Rather than getting used for Downie I could easily see us packaging those up to a willing club for their first round pick, like the Bulldogs or Collingwood.

The biggest issue is second round compensation would be very difficult to get given the formula is dictated by the AFL. 3 years at 500,000 (if that's the deal) SHOULD get us a second - but the AFL could easily turn around and give us a third and we'd be powerless to do anything. If Brisbane offer him the same as us financially but with 3 guaranteed years then that's a third round pick. And Smithy is worth more to us in terms of ability & leadership than a measly third round.

If Henderson retires and Smith leaves as a free agent, what about going after Tom Phillips?

Would be great but is contracted to the end of 2021. Can't see why Collingwood would trade him unless they were getting something pretty good in return.

Cap space to help sign Moore and DeGoey is all I could see

I wouldn’t want Phillips anyway

Would be a substantial upgrade on our current wing stocks if Smith and Hendo leave lol

If we get a second rounder for Smith we'll have Picks 21 + Pick 23 (before any Academy or FA shenanigans). Rather than getting used for Downie I could easily see us packaging those up to a willing club for their first round pick, like the Bulldogs or Collingwood.

The biggest issue is second round compensation would be very difficult to get given the formula is dictated by the AFL. 3 years at 500,000 (if that's the deal) SHOULD get us a second - but the AFL could easily turn around and give us a third and we'd be powerless to do anything. If Brisbane offer him the same as us financially but with 3 guaranteed years then that's a third round pick. And Smithy is worth more to us in terms of ability & leadership than a measly third round.

I was thinking we'd get an end of second round pick. If we would get a top end second round pick then we should go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back