Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
But only if Hogan agrees. What is the evidence that he is willing to take a pay cut?
I don’t think it’s a pay cut. I reckon he is on at best $1.5M for three years. If he got a four year deal on $2M he would take it because he know he’s not guaranteed an extension past 2021 at Freo. Especially if he has a few benders over the summer. Remember he missed trainIng And was suspended earlier this year? The guy ain’t Andrew Brayshaw doing 100 x 100 sprints on Christmas Day.

Can I say for the record I am a big Hogan fan , he’s a competitor and natural footballer with one of the best kicks I’ve seen.

Just reckon he needs a bit more help offfield like tigers did for Martin , otherwise too much money and lack of motivation could result in him missing the opportunity presented at Freo

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think it’s a pay cut. I reckon he is on at best $1.5M for three years. If he got a four year deal on $2M he would take it because he know he’s not guaranteed an extension past 2021 at Freo. Especially if he has a few benders over the summer. Remember he missed trainIng And was suspended earlier this year? The guy ain’t Andrew Brayshaw doing 100 x 100 sprints on Christmas Day.
Of course he's no off field angel. That's why he won't get the same money elsewhere that he gets here.

Do you really think he is on $500k? After all he was on $900k a year at the Dee's. He asked for $1million a year from us before we said no.

Do you really we low-balled him to the extent that he only got half what he asked for?

He was still contracted to the Dees so he could have stayed and got his $900,000. Why would he quit that for $500,000?

How could we justify giving up #6 and #21 and then only offer him $500k, when we gave up #11 for Lobb who we pay $700k.

He would have been better off staying at the Dee's and getting nearly two years worth of salary to sit on their injury list for a year.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought he wanted 8 at 700 to 800k then he got cut to 600k for 3

None of us BigFooty types really know of course, but here is the kind of stuff I remembered from the time.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Pretty sure 3 years @ 800K was what was reported at the time. What we don't know is if that was the base or if it was really 700 plus match payments (i.e 800 if you play all year).
I heard he was on a lower Base pay around 550k plus match payment bonus. I don’t think he could earn more than 700k all up and that was when he played a full season.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Not sure how many noticed but in the North game, I'm pretty sure JL was trialling out the lone forward in the goal square (1v1) more often, rotating Tabs and Hogan down there. Very similar to what the Eagles do, making all the other forwards push up to the 50 to allow space.
Hogan and Tabs very crucial to our structure and playing style going forward, both can park in 50 and both can get outside the 50 and up the ground. Lobb perfect as a forward/ruck while Darcy's graph points up.

If the ball moves easily from defense to attack without using the extra tall then it's much better for us. Defending against Freo's ball movement should really focus on forcing the marks up the ground to draw the talls away from the forward fifty.

Man on man coverage from the dogs coming up

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Not sure how many noticed but in the North game, I'm pretty sure JL was trialling out the lone forward in the goal square (1v1) more often, rotating Tabs and Hogan down there. Very similar to what the Eagles do, making all the other forwards push up to the 50 to allow space.
Hogan and Tabs very crucial to our structure and playing style going forward, both can park in 50 and both can get outside the 50 and up the ground. Lobb perfect as a forward/ruck while Darcy's graph points up.
I’m pretty sure l can dig up posts of mine every year for the past 5 years saying we should do this. Next thing the boys need to do is learn how to legally crunch the defenders (McGovern) that fill in the hole in front for the defensive mark. Or kick long to the square to take the interceptor out of the game and bring the smalls into the game.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I’m pretty sure l can dig up posts of mine every year for the past 5 years saying we should do this. Next thing the boys need to do is learn how to legally crunch the defenders (McGovern) that fill in the hole in front for the defensive mark. Or kick long to the square to take the interceptor out of the game and bring the smalls into the game.
Agreed on the Crunch, they just need to watch the Tigers. They do it every time and I don't even think they care about the frees they give away either, they play the long game.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Agreed on the Crunch, they just need to watch the Tigers. They do it every time and I don't even think they care about the frees they give away either, they play the long game.
Just pretend your going for a speccy Natanui style. Stick your knees into their back, puncture lungs, break ribs..... play on.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Also, just watched the JL and Barich interview. People love listening to the media, literally nothing wrong with what JL said. Body language and the love JL has given to Hogan post game......sometimes commonsense goes a long way. Hogan is staying.

What would we get for Jesse, pick 25? If he's a disruptive member of the playing group you'd contemplate that but that hasn't been suggested so why would you trade a match winner coming into his prime for a mid-range pick?

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
Of course he's no off field angel. That's why he won't get the same money elsewhere that he gets here.

Do you really think he is on $500k? After all he was on $900k a year at the Dee's. He asked for $1million a year from us before we said no.

Do you really we low-balled him to the extent that he only got half what he asked for?

He was still contracted to the Dees so he could have stayed and got his $900,000. Why would he quit that for $500,000?

How could we justify giving up #6 and #21 and then only offer him $500k, when we gave up #11 for Lobb who we pay $700k.

He would have been better off staying at the Dee's and getting nearly two years worth of salary to sit on their injury list for a year.

The Demons would have said we can't guarantee you a game so you may spend time in the VFL to push him out the door.

Our offer was largely performance based. Probably around $500,000 base then incentives triggered by matches played and finishing top 5 in the Doig.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Y'all need to re-watch his highlight reel Pre-Freo again

Bloke is a gun

I don't think anyone doubts his potential. It's about whether he is still capable of being that player.

Back