Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This was posted by KnightMare. I just thrown up in my mouth a little

For the Dogs to use them as the example as they're the team I'm proposing this concept for as my view is they have the personnel to execute it.

I'd be using Naughton and English on either wing. Hunter I'd personally use off half-back, and I'm not convinced he would be much if any less effective. If that clearly didn't work, I'd push him across half-forward. And ultimately he could be used in either spot depending on where the need is greater, and I feel like he'd still be effective.

Then deeper in the front half I'd be using JUH once drafted. With JUH surrounded by smalls and mediums. With a view towards recruiting a genuine number one ruck.

In the meantime Schache and Trengove would probably be forced while suboptimal to be the key forward and ruckman respectively, had this setup been used this year.

Bruce I'd personally be looking to switch to be a key defender as he has the 1v1 strength, height but most importantly reads it well enough and is a strong contested mark which suggests to me as with the likes of Josh Walker and Liam Jones among others to make that transition, Bruce could similarly carve out a role for himself, and prove an upgrade for the Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

For the Dogs to use them as the example as they're the team I'm proposing this concept for as my view is they have the personnel to execute it.

I'd be using Naughton and English on either wing. Hunter I'd personally use off half-back, and I'm not convinced he would be much if any less effective. If that clearly didn't work, I'd push him across half-forward. And ultimately he could be used in either spot depending on where the need is greater, and I feel like he'd still be effective.

Then deeper in the front half I'd be using JUH once drafted. With JUH surrounded by smalls and mediums. With a view towards recruiting a genuine number one ruck.

In the meantime Schache and Trengove would probably be forced while suboptimal to be the key forward and ruckman respectively, had this setup been used this year.

Bruce I'd personally be looking to switch to be a key defender as he has the 1v1 strength, height but most importantly reads it well enough and is a strong contested mark which suggests to me as with the likes of Josh Walker and Liam Jones among others to make that transition, Bruce could similarly carve out a role for himself, and prove an upgrade for the Dogs.
Knightmare is an outstanding judge of talent, but comes up with some.. wacky (to put it nicely) concepts for how he think the modern game should be played. Huge advocate for playing talls on the wings because of the success of Richo and Riewoldt in their later years.

Can't say I like any of those suggestions

Come back Bevo, all is forgiven.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Knightmare is an outstanding judge of talent, but comes up with some.. wacky (to put it nicely) concepts for how he think the modern game should be played. Huge advocate for playing talls on the wings because of the success of Richo and Riewoldt in their later years.

He advocates for English on the wing as well.

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I for one agree with him to some respect. I wouldn't be moving naughton out of the f50 because his field kicking isn't great but English on a wing playing defensively would create freedom for Daniel to roam aswell as adding an extra tall target on kickouts. English already does this to some extent when he takes centerbounces then goes full forward or floats back and imo when we have played our best it has been with English floating in defence

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton is the CHF we have dreamed of for many years. That role is to get up and down the wings anyway.

I don’t think Naughton and English should play wing whilst you also play a 2 tall forward structure plus another ruck but they do that long down the line target as well as any young tall in the comp.

Naughtons field kicking isn’t as bad as people think. He just has an awkward style. But he certainly should be spending half his game time as the deepest forward and half roaming up the ground. Not as a wing per say.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The more I look at Freo, the more nervous I get about this week. After a slow start. They really have been impressive this year and have claimed most of the teams around us (Collingwood, StKilda, Melbourne).

Reckon Darcy is a ripping young Ruck with Lobb assolid backup. Cerra, Brayshaw. Serong, Schultz and Duman are good young running additions to Fyfe, Mundy, Walters and Hill.

Statistically, they have 2 of the 3 top contested marks in the comp this year in Taverner and Lobb (Dixon is the other).

They also have the #2 ranked intercept marker in Luke Ryan, who must be about the most improved player in the comp. His disposal and metres gained numbers are super impressive.

All in all they are a pretty good unit. It'll take our best to get over them.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
The more I look at Freo, the more nervous I get about this week. After a slow start. They really have been impressive this year and have claimed most of the teams around us (Collingwood, StKilda, Melbourne).

Reckon Darcy is a ripping young Ruck with Lobb assolid backup. Cerra, Brayshaw. Serong, Schultz and Duman are good young running additions to Fyfe, Mundy, Walters and Hill.
Statistically, they have 2 of the 3 top contested marks in the comp this year in Taverner and Lobb (Dixon is the other).

They also have the #2 ranked intercept marker in Luke Ryan, who must be about the most improved player in the comp. His disposal and metres gained numbers are super impressive.

All in all they are a pretty good unit. It'll take our best to get over them.
We need to be very physically dominant through the middle to expose a few of their younger boys. It’s something we’ve done much better in the last two weeks so hopefully it continues.

They play a short backline & it’s pretty inexperienced at the moment with Hammer & Pearce out so Naughts & Bruce should be primed for decent games. Don’t be surprised if one of their talls has to swing back as cover.

Agree though, on paper Freo are a great team and pretty balanced. Perennial under performers though so you just won’t know which team shows up. A little bit similar to us this year.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need to be very physically dominant through the middle to expose a few of their younger boys. It’s something we’ve done much better in the last two weeks so hopefully it continues.

They play a short backline & it’s pretty inexperienced at the moment with Hammer & Pearce out so Naughts & Bruce should be primed for decent games. Don’t be surprised if one of their talls has to swing back as cover.

Agree though, on paper Freo are a great team and pretty balanced. Perennial under performers though so you just won’t know which team shows up. A little bit similar to us this year.
All good points.

Docker mids will be similar to ours when the bigger bodies of Fyfe and Mundy are in the middle, but we probably get a chance to exert some physicality through depth of numbers when one of them isn't in the guts.

They are smallish defensively but we'll probably be similarly slightly undersized given their 3 very tall forwards in Taberner, Lobb and Hogan.

Given the game is in Cairns in the evening, the conditions may impact on the effectiveness of the tall forwards.

Hopefully we don't fall into the trap of bombing long and feeding Ryan.

Going to be a fascinating match

Back