Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Brasilia, September 17th, 2020

Dear BigFooty Port-Board friends,

I hope this message finds you well.

I had this concept in mind of reviewing the past seasons since 2017 as if Hinkley were captain of a Star Trek-like Navy starship. I did some research and even start sketching the Match review. The 2020 part would start like this:
"Captain's log, stardate 1124.18. Our destination is planet Qld-G.

On 2017, I had written:
"We are getting close to the orbit of the Sun. It is our last mission before entering the Final Stage of our plan for conquering the Footy Galaxy. It has been a while since we have reached this far. Has our time finally come?

The journey has been good, despite some issues. There have been minor hiccups, but for one major scare. The attack of the evil Crownes almost destroyed everything. It was a massacre. My mistake. I know it. Somehow we survived. Instead of demoting me, the High Command has backed me up...

Unfortunately, this is all. It's a shame because I believe the concept was good. I simply couldn't deliver it on time.

This year, this season, it has been wild. It has been for each one of us, and for Port. I am not an exception. I have just moved away from home and into a new job miles and miles far from my family. It has been challenging. In brief, I'm hubbed.

Yet, I still need to post a Match preview, and here it is.

I am still in disbelief that we have clinched top-2. We are playing for the Minor premiership against the Eddie's Boys. The only thing that could make it even better, it would be the possibility of kicking Collingwood out of the 8. It wasn't meant to be.

I can settle for a Crow wooden spoon in a 2017 GF rematch, instead, then. I confess that, while Port held firm its pole position during the whole season, I grew fond of Owen Ladder. Unfortunately, he didn't make it until the end. Still, it was fun while it lasted. Really entertaining fellow.

On the other hand, while our main rivals struggled to win a match, we went on and on:

Siri, who's on top of the AFL ladder?
Currently, Port Adelaide is first on the 2020 Australian Football League ladder.

And that has been true for the past 17 rounds. I have no intention on understanding how this happened. It's clearly beyond my abilities. I have just enjoyed the ride. And I intend to keep enjoying it. One week at a time. Let's make Eddie angry, shall we?

CARN THE POWER!

Yours truly,
GremioPower

Last edited:
Remember finals in 2013 when Eddie had a moan about having to travel to Perth to play Freo in the second week? We thoughtfully knocked them out so they didn't have to.

This week if we win we likely consign them to Perth to play WCE at a hostile Optus stadium in finals week 1, not to mention taking the Minor Premiership in the process.

Let's do this. Ports by 15, perhaps a few more if Westy suits up - there'll be 21 blokes busting a gut for him.

EDIT : typo

Should be a cracking game this one . Hard to say how it’ll pan out . Collingwood are close to full strength now and if they get on top in the midfield we could be in trouble .
If we do win I’d rate it as a good win and a perfect tune up for the finals

Well done GremioPower - I missed it yesterday, but your title picks up the difference how supporters of the clubs used their nickname. Port supporters from when I started barracking for the club nearly always said Go Maggies, and Collingwood supporters said Go Pies.

I have mentioned that James Brayshaw has commented games both on 7 and MMM the last few years and said something like "the maggies are playing well" when broadcasting collingwood games, and said he would have picked that up the decade he lived and worked in Adelaide after coming from Perth to finish off his cricket career. Collingwood have issued to the media under no circumstances should the club be referred to as Maggies.

LINK TO ALL CLUBS' OFFICiAL POLICY

1600406191970.png

Last edited:
Well done GremioPower - I missed it yesterday, but your title picks up the difference how supporters of the clubs used their nickname. Port supporters from when I started barracking for the club nearly always said Go Maggies, and Collingwood supporters said Go Pies.

I have mentioned that James Brayshaw has commented games both on 7 and MMM the last few years and said something like "the maggies are playing well" when broadcasting collingwood games, and said he would have picked that up the decade he lived and worked in Adelaide after coming from Perth to finish off his cricket career. Collingwood have issued to the media under no circumstances should the club be referred to as Maggies.

View attachment 964432
So we can be the Maggies in the AFL?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in two minds about this game (which is a feat in and of itself - I usually struggle just being in one mind). If we win we end up minor premiers. Woohoo!
Should (as is most likely) Geelong beat Sydney this week they will end the H&A season in 4th spot and we would play them in the first round of finals.
Given our record against the Cats has been less than stellar in recent years, would we be better off losing this week and finishing second and thereby playing the Tigers (whom we have a better record against) in the the first round of the finals? Heart says "no", mind says "yes". Then realize we're playing Collingwood this week and just can't stomach the thought of losing to the ersatz Magpies regardless what the benefits to us may or may not be. Please help :(

I'm in two minds about this game (which is a feat in and of itself - I usually struggle just being in one mind). If we win we end up minor premiers. Woohoo!
Should (as is most likely) Geelong beat Sydney this week they will end the H&A season in 4th spot and we would play them in the first round of finals.
Given our record against the Cats has been less than stellar in recent years, would we be better off losing this week and finishing second and thereby playing the Tigers (whom we have a better record against) in the the first round of the finals? Heart says "no", mind says "yes". Then realize we're playing Collingwood this week and just can't stomach the thought of losing to the ersatz Magpies regardless what the benefits to us may or may not be. Please help :(

We aim to win every game and if we do lose to an opponent on the day then we are not good enough on that day. Ultimately we shouldn’t fear anyone if we want to prove we are the best team. We should relish the opportunity.

Double chance and Vic teams not having home grounds also helps should we lose the first week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And that has been true for the past 17 rounds. I have no intention on understanding how this happened. It's clearly beyond my abilities. I have just enjoyed the ride. And I intend to keep enjoying it.
lol nicely said. Sometimes we can overcomplicate the task of being a supporter.

View attachment 964432
Ive never called them anything other than Collingwood and never will. Feels wrong to call them the Pies.

Looking forward to this one, their extremely defensive game style will be an interesting challenge for us, we tend to struggle to score against sides like this, so the early part of the game and getting the scoreboard ticking will be crucial.

They haven't been playing anywhere near their best, so we should win, but we've been far from convincing for a while so it won't be easy. Let's hope we take some winning form into the finals and can pinch that first final.

Port by 8

With the AFL and Brisbane already celebrating Brisbanes 1st minor premiership, this game is set up for the biggest umpiring stitch up this year
Crazy that the legendary Brisbane side of 2001-2004 never even finished top (2nd, 2nd, 3rd and 2nd).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back