News Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they levy that on a per household basis then that could be circa $20k for a standard family Christmas. I'm not risking $5k to see my family.

And I won't risk the fine for the mask, doesn't stop me seeing dozens of people every day flouting it. People will absolutely risk it for Christmas, and they won't all be caught. If there's still a lot of community transmission happening, that could be a spike the likes of which we haven't yet seen.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And I won't risk the fine for the mask, doesn't stop me seeing dozens of people every day flouting it. People will absolutely risk it for Christmas, and they won't all be caught.
I see almost universal compliance in my allotted 5km radius. The only ones I see without a mask are genuinely exercising. I live in an area that probably scores as high as anywhere in Melbourne for Civic compliance. That is probably why there are only 3 active cases in my LGA.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see almost universal compliance in my allotted 5km radius. The only ones I see without a mask are genuinely exercising. I live in an area that probably scores as high as anywhere in Melbourne for Civic compliance. That is probably why there are only 3 active cases in my LGA.

Probably.

Only have to scroll back a few pages to see people unanimously calling out non compliance in their areas. Christmas will be too big a test.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably.

Only have to scroll back a few pages to see people unanimously calling out non compliance in their areas. Christmas will be too big a test.

I think at the end of the day people not wearing masks in outdoor settings, whilst in breach of the current regulations, is very low-risk behavior, even if the virus is widely prevalent within society, which it really isn't for pretty much all of Melbourne. Having a large family gathering in the context of high numbers of community transmission would rate as far, far higher risk. We do run the risk that by sweating the small stuff so much that people will stop listening and ignore the big stuff

Crucially, a comparison between Victoria’s current practices and those in NSW indicates that while the numbers have fallen dramatically from 7880 active cases on August 11 to 991 on Wednesday, DHHS still lags behind in rapidly establishing and communicating case data — a practice which becomes ever more important amid the Victorian roadmap, which leaves Melburnians under stay-at-home and curfew restrictions until there have been no unknown source cases for a fortnight.

This is a real problem at face value, at best we could use improvement - at worst we need a lot of improvement. Unfortunately in the middle of a crisis is one of the toughest times to update and create new systems for doing things while at the same time putting more pressure and exposing practices that are potentially out of date or sorely in need of improvement.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a real problem at face value, at best we could use improvement - at worst we need a lot of improvement. Unfortunately in the middle of a crisis is one of the toughest times to update and create new systems for doing things while at the same time putting more pressure and exposing practices that are potentially out of date or sorely in need of improvement.

At one level you could say that everyone has had to scale up this capability in a crisis, and that would be largely true. It is also important to recognise that NSW had much better foundations to build from with an existing resource of 150 contact tracers spread across four regional health offices in place before the pandemic even began. Victoria had 14.

At one level you could say that everyone has had to scale up this capability in a crisis, and that would be largely true. It is also important to recognise that NSW had much better foundations to build from with an existing resource of 150 contact tracers spread across four regional health offices in place before the pandemic even began. Victoria had 14.

I think at face value they just a had a better set of resources to start with... why that's the case I couldn't even begin to speculate. Outside of that processes might be better but Occam would suggest that 150v14 (ie. multiple of 10) just indicates a completely different capability base (and staff capable of training up to scale) to begin with and it's probable that's been the major difference. I'm curious as to why but it's largely academic at this point in the pandemic - the key question is what we can do now, while under resource pressure to improve as best we can.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1600326204847.png

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
First day of freedom today and it’s bustling out there. Supermarket packed and walked past the Nail Salon and there are queues at 4.30pm. A few places have brought in and set up outside Marquees. Take a few days for the Restaurants and Pubs to get re stocked and the Border restrictions mean I can head over to the Moama RSL in a couple of weekends. Masks are right off in this warmer weather though...hopefully they are done by the 30 degree weather. Bought some Tomato Plants as well.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Confirms the criticisms that have been displayed in this thread and the general community.

Knows intimately the inner workings of Dan and his cronies

20 years and then snatches it just like that?

I don't think we've heard the last from this one.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
45 New Cases in Victoria and 5 New Deaths

Victoria has recorded 45 new cases of COVID-19, which is an increase on yesterday’s tally of 28.

There have also been five deaths overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back