List Mgmt. Joe Atley, Tobin Cox, Riley Grundy, Wylie Buzza Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

They all seem fair enough delistings. Is there any reasoning behind the timing? The afl hasn't even announced list sizes for next year? Good luck to them. Its a shame they didn't get to show their worth for the Magpies this year.

and why would we be announcing this now???
seasons not over, finals to come. when has anyone done this before?

My guess is alot of clubs are tying up loose ends getting players off the books as quick as possible so they are no longer covered by the AFL players policy in relation to covid. There would be alot of players out there right now who know they are not getting a contract next year, what incentive do they have not to start getting out and hitting the pubs, inviting girls over etc when the clubs season isnt over but they are as much chance of a game as you or I. Clubs dont want to have to deal with that responsibility and risk fines etc so pay out the remainder of the contract and release them form their contract early.

My guess is alot of clubs are tying up loose ends getting players off the books as quick as possible so they are no longer covered by the AFL players policy in relation to covid. There would be alot of players out there right now who know they are not getting a contract next year, what incentive do they have not to start getting out and hitting the pubs, inviting girls over etc when the clubs season isnt over but they are as much chance of a game as you or I. Clubs dont want to have to deal with that responsibility and risk fines etc so pay out the remainder of the contract and release them form their contract early.

interesting!! hadnt thought of that.
makes a bit of sense then

Being a s**t draft with little exposure to the u18s this year, I'd be surprised if a club DIDN'T draft Atley with a late pick.

Grundy is disappointing, but if we need to cull the list to 38 players you gotta be ruthless - and he is still very speculative.

No real surprises. Atley just didn't make that jump, we all wanted, Drew did, but has been injured a lot of the time. Buzza was never going to get another year given he never even played at SANFL level with Covid. Grundy just hasn't played enough in his first year and didn't get on the field in his second. Cox was looking like a big chance to play AFL before he got that injury to his liver last year. His set shot goal kicking dropped right away after that.

Interesting timing thought Grundy might get another yr .
Also thought we might get something for Atley .

I hadn't thought of that as I live in Melbourne and we are used to living with restrictions. Makes sense for non metro Melbourne teams playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was on the rookie could of just kept him there I think? If there is one next yr.

Squad trimmed to 38. No Rookies. With these 4 gone plus Westhoff, thats's only 5 from our current list of 45. Expect at least 5 more gone to accommodate our draft picks.

Watts, Patmore, Ebert and Frederick seem the obvious ones. Sutcliffe, Mayes, Garner not particularly safe. Bonner hopefully traded for better draft pick.

Squad trimmed to 38. No Rookies. With these 4 gone plus Westhoff, thats's only 5 from our current list of 45. Expect at least 5 more gone to accommodate our draft picks.

Watts, Patmore, Ebert and Frederick seem the obvious ones. Sutcliffe, Mayes, Garner not particularly safe. Bonner hopefully traded for better draft pick.
Has that been confirmed 38?

I received the club email announcing this about ten minutes ago. It had quotes from Chris Davies as part of it.
Ditto..the email mentioned Patmore and Frederick have been advised they are not required for the finals and therefore will cease training with the squad until list sizes and Cat B for next season has been confirmed

Buzza too, really he hasn't been needed this season but is a handy break glass gorilla forward that would have enabled us to retain structure if Charlie went down.
Continuing to try and have a player in the side that isn't up to standard to "retain structure" is what Richmond did prior to 2017. as they continually played rubbish second tall forwards to maintain structure.

They finally gave up on maintaing that two talls structure in 2017 and reworked their game around the players they had that were up to standard. We all know what the end result was. They went back to two talls when they had two that were good enough to be playing.

Where is this story actually published? I cant see it on the site? Have they gone a bit early and removed it?
Member's first email like the Hoff retiring link to the article. Here is the link, they will change the URL and put it on the front page of the website

story on the website confirms this

Midfielder Jake Patmore and defender Martin Frederick have been advised they will not be considered for AFL selection during finals and will therefore no longer train with the club beyond this week as the club awaits a decision on the future of list sizes and Category B rookies.

The decision sees them not bound by the AFL’s COVID-19 protocols.

Good guess...from the club article " The decision sees them not bound by the AFL’s COVID-19 protocols."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back