May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with whoever it was who said the one who is likely to be the hardest to replace is Rich. He has really grown into that role and there is no-one that we have seen so far who looks like they can step in and fill his shoes. With that said he seems to be trucking along pretty well body wise (touch wood) and I would be hoping for 2 or 3 more years playing the elder statesman distributor role back there. We have been stocking up on small / medium defenders for a few years. Hopefully they can all come together as a really solid unit.

Zorko is a bit more interesting. I rate Dayne as a player but actually think we will not miss him too much when he departs. We have to compensate for two small players in the midfield at the moment and that can sometimes be not very effective. When Dayne retires we will play differently and it could actually allow us to be more balanced and more effective notwithstanding the loss of a good player in there. It will free up time in the middle for Rayner at a time when he should be starting to demand it and it takes pressure off having to try and manufacture forward time for Berry. We also have Robertson who I think will be a very nice player on the inside if we can free up time there and I like Coleman in that half forward linking role that Dayne sometimes plays on the outside.

Berry Jnr I think is already very capable of playing the lower possession hard nut role that Mitch has played this year. His disposal skills are likely to be better. Another preseason and I think his running should get him where it needs to be.

Big O has already stepped up into the number 1 ruck role. He is better in the centre bounce and up forward but we do give away a bit around the ground. There is upside still with Oscar as well. So again different but not necessarily worse.

Overall I have confidence that we will manage the group so that not everyone departs at once and I think we can adjust and maintain current levels. The critical mass will be in a couple of years when Neale is approaching retirement. Then it will depend on how well the current first and second years develop.

No no no, seriously Zork was the mortar that held the team together when things looked bad, to discount his presences based purely upon performance is to try to relegate our team to the level of automatons. When Zork hangs up the boots we will be poorer for it, regardless of your list juggling,

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not sure brown really fits in either. Our game plan seems to be more revolved around kicking high long balls to forwards, having them create a contest, then our crumbers and repeat entries are the main goal threat. I would have thought Brown's strength was leading and marking, not so much standing under high balls and crashing packs. I'm not saying we should get him, but someone with Levi Casboult's strengths would suit better than someone with Brown's strengths.
Our game plan doesn't have to be set in stone, it can adapt to the presence of leading forwards too. Hipwood already leads plenty.

Plus I was under the impression McInerney would still spend a lot of time forward. If that's the case, well we'd need someone who can adequately play as a genuine ruck and genuine forward. If we were to recruit Brown- a good forward but only a relief ruck- and no starting 22 ruck that would mean Oscar is the full time ruck. I'm not sure I like that. If we were to recruit another ruck, it starts getting very tall with McStay, Hipwood, Oscar, Brown and another ruck/forward.
Oscar has already been the full-time ruck on numerous occasions this year and done well. I look forward to him continuing to play that role. Both Brown and McStay are capable of giving him a chop out.

Ceglar, Peter Wright, Nankervis- they seem like the guys for me who are adequate forward or rucking and could compliment McInerney- depending how much of his time the coach thinks he should spend forward or in the middle.
If Fagan sees him as a full-time ruck who rests forward occasionally (like I do), then we don't have to have this type of player. On the specific examples you gave, the Hawthorn board seem to regard Ceglar as a liability and Wright can't get a game for the Suns. Nankervis is someone who impresses me, but Brown is a better player. We'll see how Fagan views it.

I think Gunston is an excellent option too- he can play deep forward, high half forward, wing, defence and can bring others into the game with his leading and kicking. We don't have anyone like him currently. Seems like the sort of player that would play for a long time too- I'd bet that he'll play around 100 more games.
I agree, I'd just rather have a bigger forward so McStay can push back and use his contested marking around the ground.

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And yet that's exactly what Hawthorn did themselves to keep their finals window open for so long, they recruited older role players. There's no doubt they have hit the wall on that theory but I would argue Geelong does much the same. If we can keep our window open as long as they have I'll be chuffed. Follow the Fagan mantra, trade for need, draft for talent. Also I think Birch has straightened us up a lot by looking into the corridor, choosing good options and kicking precisely. Fringe or not he is still a class act and has much to teach witho etal.
And Luke Power. :heart: + you can't forget the Buckley destroyer Robbie Copeland.
Saw Bushy in the stands the other night. Not many would have a clue who he is.

Saw Bushy in the stands the other night. Not many would have a clue who he is.

One of my favourites.

nathan-buckley-for-collingwood-clashes-with-robert-copeland-for-the-picture-id2546519

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I wonder at what point we start paying unders for trade players because they want success over dollars?
I have no idea what Neale is on, but do you believe he’s on overs or fair market value.

The typical narrative has always been that most good players changing clubs, cost a premium to get out of their current club.

Who were the last good players to change clubs for unders?

Certainly from reports, Lyons moved for less than what he was on at the Gold Coast, for the security of a longer term deal.

Did Lynch went for less? but that was as much as getting out of Gold Coast at the time.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of my favourites.

nathan-buckley-for-collingwood-clashes-with-robert-copeland-for-the-picture-id2546519
For the second GF we beat them I was close enough to the boundary to hear Buckley blowing up.Bushy was so under his skin even the Collingwood players wouldn't kick it to Buckley and he was going off. Was the best time I'v had sitting near the Collingwood cheer squad and watching them start leaving before 3Qtr time. Of course I was asking loudly if they wanted my help finding their way out.

I would love another gun mid to add to our side. I think we'd be very, very difficult to beat with another prime mover rolling through the midfield. I'm hopeful Starcevich could become a quality midfielder though or even Dev Robertson stepping into the side and contributing in a meaningful way.
Yes I think we have seen this year that if Neale is held and Berry is out we rely too heavily on Lyons for grunt work. CEY is more limited than I thought he would be and I suspect Zork's days of playing predominantly in the midfield are numbered. God help us if Lyons goes down in a final or has an off day. One of those young GWS mids would do nicely but we have little chance of enticing the Vic one's to head further north I suspect.

bang_bang_benny

Draftee
Sep 17, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At least we don't have to fight Suns on this one. Hope it stays that way.

Pardon the potentially stupid question but....who are you guys talking about? :p

Sorry, I've been a Lions fan since before the Threepeat but I'm pretty new to the online forums thing and the inside word that goes with them

Pardon the potentially stupid question but....who are you guys talking about? :p

Sorry, I've been a Lions fan since before the Threepeat but I'm pretty new to the online forums thing and the inside word that goes with them

I am thinking Marcus Ashcroft’s kid, maybe🤔

I think Essendon uncle Dlions is correct.

Guess it will relay on dads job at the time.

Looks like he picked the wrong school though.

It's an AFL role now, so I think there is a bit more longevity hopefully. Either way he may not go back to Suns so soon after his stint there.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
It's an AFL role now, so I think there is a bit more longevity hopefully. Either way he may not go back to Suns so soon after his stint there.

With the cuts coming to the AFL, I didn’t know if his job would survive. Didn’t think he’d go back to the Suns.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Been reading up on Will Ashcroft. Looks like an exciting prospect but isn't he part of the Suns academy?
No as mentioned, he’s no longer part of the Suns academy.

The time living in Vict would mean he would not qualify under the Academy rules even if he ended up going back to the Gold Coast.
Apparently plugga’s nephew, Jye Lockett remains part of the Suns academy, even though he went down to Ballarat this year for schooling, and is playing for a Vic Country NAB League side, GWV.

Apparently plugga’s nephew, Jye Lockett remains part of the Suns academy, even though he went down to Ballarat this year for schooling, and is playing for a Vic Country NAB League side, GWV.

Depends what they've got listed as their home address. I assume his family is still up here.

GWS lost a player because the family had two home addresses, one at their farm in NSW and a second property in Victoria where they moved when their kid went to boarding school because it was closer.

Back