No Oppo Supporters 2020 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The money is killing local footy and some in the country. Everyone should just break away
I know that our league is having its salary cap cut considerably. It will result in a clear out of older players and those who can't afford now to knock back work in order to train and play. The problem is that the money required to run a competitive club was out of control.

The money is killing local footy and some in the country. Everyone should just break away
Money is absolutely killing local comps, too much gap between the haves and have nots, breakaway leagues would be interesting, even within the local clubs there should be more emphasis on juniors progressing through to senior clubs. The way things are going the AFL may be becoming designed for this to happen.

This was posted on here last year I think, but worth re-posting as it's an interesting read about how the game is changing at junior level.

AFL has become the whole sport instead of just the major comp

But you can’t bring players through without local footy
Although that may (?) be the case in the eastern states, from a WA perspective, the WAFL is flourishing, getting big crowds, the standard of footy is high & a number of players from WAFL clubs have been drafted into AFL sides. I'm not really seeing a problem. You can listen to WAFL games on the radio & its a talking point at local pubs.

Further, the junior comps over here are doing very nicely. My son plays for one of the local junior clubs & they're well run, well coached, playing on quality grounds.

Although that may (?) be the case in the eastern states, from a WA perspective, the WAFL is flourishing, getting big crowds, the standard of footy is high & a number of players from WAFL clubs have been drafted into AFL sides. I'm not really seeing a problem. You can listen to WAFL games on the radio & its a talking point at local pubs.

Further, the junior comps over here are doing very nicely. My son plays for one of the local junior clubs & they're well run, well coached, playing on quality grounds.
I wasn't talking about WA , but the Aussie Rules heartland

That’s good maybe we need more WA influence at the AFL, SA probably the same?

The tassie stuffs been run into the ground with afl interference and also the fact smaller towns teams dropped off

When I was younger I cared as much about statewide comp as afl

That’s good maybe we need more WA influence at the AFL, SA probably the same?

The tassie stuffs been run into the ground with afl interference and also the fact smaller towns teams dropped off

When I was younger I cared as much about statewide comp as afl
People don't realise how big the VFA was and then got run over by the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money is absolutely killing local comps, too much gap between the haves and have nots, breakaway leagues would be interesting, even within the local clubs there should be more emphasis on juniors progressing through to senior clubs. The way things are going the AFL may be becoming designed for this to happen.
And in my local league there are so many young players who will commit to whoever pays them the most money. The frustrating thing is that their skills and abilities should simply not qualify them to earn that sort of money. There is an undercurrent of entitlement by players in the league that is staggering (with some exceptions, of course).
One kid from my club said during his end of season interview last year that he would like to get paid more next year. The response was that if he was good enough to stop playing reserves and make the senior team then he would. Reserves players demanding more money...

This was posted on here last year I think, but worth re-posting as it's an interesting read about how the game is changing at junior level.

It will be interesting next year and beyond from one particular angle. Speaking to a friend who is involved with one of the schools, he was commenting on how full-paying international students basically subsidise football programs and the ability to offer scholarships to prospective footballers. The issue with the likely reduction of the international student base is the financial impact on these schools. Some schools are at risk of closing football programs , indeed, prior to COVID some of the football programs only existed because of the money from international students

Interesting views I thought, don't know how close to the bone that is but there is some sense to it.

Half a season of Rampe still better than a full season of Lloyd. Rampe nominated for most courageous and Stephens best first year player.
Ramps work with a broken hand was pretty impressive.

Hence my comment elite juniors in Vic may well start to head elsewhere to pursue their dream. Being able to play a full WAFL/SANFL season in the Colts u/18 equivalent compared to what is being proposed for 2021 in Victoria is just demoralising for young players looking to earn a spot of n a list. Couple that with the number of good people involved with these leagues, the NAB League, in particular, the AFL are forcing out with their 'ideas' and you are losing a lot of talent that you don't get back. The AFL, and the area of pathway's are rudderless. They do not communicate with leagues, and make decisions on the run. Watch this space I reckon, the fallout is unavoidable.

People should stop being concerned with where and when a GF for a season, that for mine is no more than a glorified pre-season, is played and start thinking more about the long term sustainability of their decision making right now.

Used to be easy when Players would trip over themselves to play for Hawthorn, remember they were in the mix for Coniglio, Lynch and who knows what else.
Yeah, and that gem from Richmond.....Ty Vickery

Can't see Cameron giving up his easy access Sydney fishing for Port Phillip Bay. Pretty dire around Melbourne for fishing, isn't it?
Probably just setting the market.

Wow , delistings starting today. 4-6 from Port already announced.
Might see some more this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back