Can we give Travis Boak some love?

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good player but the OP is dreaming if he thinks Boak is on the level of Pendlebury. Pendlebury is rated very highly and is still underrated. Watch the Pies go to pieces when he retires.
Some of Pendlebury's deserved stature comes from external influences of team success earlier in his career (8 straight finals appearances resulting in a couple of Grand Finals and a flag), coupled with having the public profile of playing for Collingwood.

Being in Adelaide for a less successful team, Boak compares unfavorably. The Adelaide bit especially, only have to look at how even a genuine superstar like Tredrea was never lauded in Melbourne like he should (yes I was living there and I could see it first hand)

Whilst not up to Pendlebury' s level, (possibly) a Brownlow and (less possibly) a premiership this year might close the gap career wise.

This guy has been an absolute superstar for my football club. I feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, this year as a 32 year old is having a career best season in a career that has already reached great heights. He doesn't have the star power because he is from a non Victorian team but I feel he has been every bit as good as Pendlebury, Neale, Shuey etc over the years and also shown great loyalty after the infamous Geelong invasion of 2012. He is an absolute weapon, think he will deserve to be known as one of the greats of our football club, and in turn the AFL when we win the premiership this year.
All hail Sir Travis Boak
Some points.
I feel he doesn't get the recognition he deserves - I think he gets exactly the recognition he deserves. He is a good to very good player but lets not get carried away.
He doesn't have the star power because he is from a non Victorian team.- He doesn't have star power because he lacks star power. There are plenty of "non Vic" players who have star power. Fyfe, Nic Nat, Neale, Green, even your own Robbie Gray.
He has been every bit as good as Pendlebury - Come on now, calm the farm fella. Next Hinkley will be on par with Jock McHale.
He is an absolute weapon - So is a sling shot but it doesn't hurt you like a machine gun may.
If I was to pick a team from scratch, he wouldn't be in my starting 18. Good player, respected and has a crack but just not in the top echelon.

Last edited:

Some of Pendlebury's deserved stature comes from external influences of team success earlier in his career (8 straight finals appearances resulting in a couple of Grand Finals and a flag), coupled with having the public profile of playing for Collingwood.

Being in Adelaide for a less successful team, Boak compares unfavorably. The Adelaide bit especially, only have to look at how even a genuine superstar like Tredrea was never lauded in Melbourne like he should (yes I was living there and I could see it first hand)

Whilst not up to Pendlebury' s level, (possibly) a Brownlow and (less possibly) a premiership this year might close the gap career wise.
Boak is a good player, but notwithstanding more club best and fairest, more AAs and Norm Smith, Pendles has also been better statistically.

One playing for Port and the other for Collingwood has nothing to do with it.

Boak is a good player, but notwithstanding more club best and fairest, more AAs and Norm Smith, Pendles has also been better statistically.

So recognising that everyone acknowledges Pendlebury is the better player, note that I said "some" not "all".
I've seen it living in Melb, both in Tredrea's peak years and the start of Boak' s career, and many Melbourne people literally turned off whenever a team like Port were not playing their team. They would have maybe seen Port play twice a year If that. But quick to give their assessment and comparison of players.

Pendles won AA last year over Boak because he played for Collingwood. Boaks season was way better and he was robbed.

*Edit: I still think Pendles is better but it's not as far off as some people are saying.

Last edited:
Pendles won AA last year over Boak because he played for Collingwood. Boaks season was way better and he was robbed.
Yeah agreed, however unlikely you're going to get anyone from Vic to admit that.

He compares unfavourably because Pendlebury is a better player. It does not matter where they come from or how big the chip on your shoulder is about Victorians.

He compares unfavourably because Pendlebury is a better player. It does not matter where they come from or how big the chip on your shoulder is about Victorians.
Didn't I actually say that in my post? I actually used the words "Whilst not up to Pendlebury' s level..." I even used the word "deserved" in the very first line.
Clearly not obvious enough for you.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about Victorians though.

Didn't I actually say that in my post? I actually used the words "Whilst not up to Pendlebury' s level..." I even used the word "deserved" in the very first line.
Clearly not obvious enough for you.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about Victorians though.

There is really no point, it suits you to think in narrow minded terms about some six million people. I understand that simpler is easier.

This is your direct quote which I responded to:

"Being in Adelaide for a less successful team, Boak compares unfavorably."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has always been rated about right imo. Sort of a Hall-of-Fame fringe, bit more of a club great than comp great

I think that's fair. More than that, it's perfectly ok to be "just" a "club champion" rather than a "superstar of the competition". I think pretty much everyone who follows Port, let alone is actually involved with the club, knows how important Boak has been for us both on and off the field. We don't need external validation for that, and it wouldn't even change anything.

There is really no point, it suits you to think in narrow minded terms about some six million people. I understand that simpler is easier.

This is your direct quote which I responded to:

"Being in Adelaide for a less successful team, Boak compares unfavorably."
So take one line out of context of a post, criticise it as if it were a standalone comment, then talk down to me like you're of higher intelligence?

And to top it all off, my comment is absolutely correct in context.

Victorians in general are more ignorant of interstate footballers than non Victorians are of Victorian footballers. Purely based on media exposure and what is shown FTA. Similarly with more successful v less successful teams.
That's not "narrow minded" opinion, that's purely a numbers game. It's not an opinion on the intelligence of the supporter base.

"I understand that simpler is easier". What an arrogant comment.

This is so cringe.

Why are Port supporters, players and even the coach so needy for acknowledgement?

You know you are a genuine contender when you dont give a damn what people think and just quietly go about your business adding premierships to your collection.

This is so cringe.

Why are Port supporters, players and even the coach so needy for acknowledgement?

You know you are a genuine contender when you dont give a damn what people think and just quietly go about your business adding premierships to your collection.

Lol. Richmond self awareness 101. Pre 2017. Richmond supporters stinking up every second thread crapping on about the mythical VFL Big 4 more than the other 3 clubs supposedly involved combined. Post 2017 Richmond supporters stinking up every second thread about how many members they have, their crowds, their "bigness". Even with a couple of flags in bag from their golden run of GF's at their home ground, they still are the most insecure bunch on the site. I guess you don't shake 35 years of irrelevance all that easily.

Lol. Richmond self awareness 101. Pre 2017. Richmond supporters stinking up every second thread crapping on about the mythical VFL Big 4 more than the other 3 clubs supposedly involved combined. Post 2017 Richmond supporters stinking up every second thread about how many members they have, their crowds, their "bigness". Even with a couple of flags in bag from their golden run of GF's at their home ground, they still are the most insecure bunch on the site. I guess you don't shake 35 years of irrelevance all that easily.

Opposition supporters: "why is eveeything about Richmond"

YOU MAKE IT ABOUT RICHMOND.

At no point did I utter richmond out my mouth but your jealously and envy is right here for all to see. Pathetic.

So insecure, so jealous and so lowly. I seriously laugh at you and your weak minded supporters and club.

When they did that documentary on all the captains a few years ago, I liked him a lot. A vulnerable bloke not too sure of himself. Bit like the sainted Bob Murphy. Is also a bloody good player who is better in a good team.

Not like that weirdo Rockliffe who gave him the captaincy? Scraping the bottom of the barrel at the Lions.

Or old mate Taylor Walker, he showed us round his home and had a picture of his wife with her milk bags out on display. Most bogan thing evah.

Opposition supporters: "why is eveeything about Richmond"

It's more like this
*Thread about carlton and Essendon
Richmond supporter: "BLAH BLAH BLAH NLAH RICHMOND IS SO GREAT"

Btw you literally named your bigfooty alter ego about a wwe wrestler and seem to take it quite seriously. I hope for you're sake that you're under 15 years old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back