Prediction Changes and Pre match discussion vs North Melbourne round 18 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

2 snags last week from a young tall who is also rucking 20% of the time is hardly poor
Let’s look at the facts shall we.

He had four possessions against Essendon; four possessions against the Western Bulldogs - in both games he was our lowest possession getter - and five possessions against St Kilda.

I think I am very justified in saying is form is down.

I'm OK with the changes.

Outs
Brander took a bad knock to the knee late in the Saints game.
XON has played a lot in the last month and was looking a little tired. Not season over for me. He has shown enough.
Brayshaw was OK but if we need him in finals, we are not going deep.

In
Williams - I expect NicNat to be given the chance to show Goldie why Goldie will be AA Bridesmaid and Bailey to play majority of time
Sheed and Ah Chee are obvious ins
Foley - reward for being a good trainer and a hard runner. Didn't like the pick but want him to succeed. Allows Duggan and Coleman to play midfield/forward.

When we are playing an barely relevant game against a completely irrelevant team, I am even happy to endorse the Ainsworth selection.

Question for the historians. With Sheed, Ryan, Foley and Ainsworth, have we ever had 4 Subiaco players in our side? I cannot recall the Scabs every being that relevant in developing players!
I think we may have. I think we (Subi) had in the inaugural squad: Laurie Keene, Fatty Lamb, Mark Zanotti, Andrew MacNish, Phil Scott. I suspect that all five of them may have run onto the park together once or twice in 1987.

Brander needs a massive change in they way he plays if he is going to be around long term.

I don't care about possession numbers etc, but they way he plays seems soft and over thought.

He has the skill set to be a gun but needs to get the mental side of things right, commit to the contest if he wins it great, if not at least he committed.

More natural instinct and less "what is the optimal play right now, to keep my spot in the team and avoid contact".

Let’s look at the facts shall we.

He had four possessions against Essendon; four possessions against the Western Bulldogs - in both games he was our lowest possession getter - and five possessions against St Kilda.

I think I am very justified in saying is form is down.
"Let's look at the facts shall we" implies that my post didn't contain facts, when it certainly did.

Here are some more facts:
- Oscar has regularly been our youngest key position player on the park at 21 years of age
- He has just played through a stretch of 4 games in 18 days
- He recently missed a game due to injury
- All season he has been rucking part-time against (mainly) 25-30 year olds who are all bigger, taller and stronger than him
- He is averaging 2 contested marks and a goal per game for the last 3 weeks

Yet here you are harping on about low disposal counts!

Either:

(1) you have a very different idea to me of what his role in the team is;
(2) you have unrealistic expectations; or
(3) you are the type of person who thinks Nic Nat doen't get enough marks and uncontested possesssions around the ground.

"Let's look at the facts shall we" implies that my post didn't contain facts, when it certainly did.

Here are some more facts:
- Oscar has regularly been our youngest key position player on the park at 21 years of age
- He has just played through a stretch of 4 games in 18 days
- He recently missed a game due to injury
- All season he has been rucking part-time against (mainly) 25-30 year olds who are all bigger, taller and stronger than him
- He is averaging 2 contested marks and a goal per game for the last 3 weeks

Yet here you are harping on about low disposal counts!

Either:

(1) you have a very different idea to me of what his role in the team is;
(2) you have unrealistic expectations; or
(3) you are the type of person who thinks Nic Nat doen't get enough marks and uncontested possesssions around the ground.

It must be hard being Oscar's dad and posting on this forum and if you get upset that easily then maybe you need to leave.

Also, check your spelling.

I know this will be hard for you to swallow but last year Oscar was dropped for the finals because of a lack of form. He is currently heading in the same direction. The fact that Bailey Williams has been selected to play should be concerning for Oscar. We don't need three tall forwards with Liam Ryan down there.

And disposal counts do matter when you only touching the ball four times during a match. Even someone with your low IQ should be able to work that out.

Yes, we all know he has talent but he has to produce it in a consistent manner otherwise he won't be playing finals. It is that simple.

It must be hard being Oscar's dad and posting on this forum and if you get upset that easily then maybe you need to leave.

Also, check your spelling.

I know this will be hard for you to swallow but last year Oscar was dropped for the finals because of a lack of form. He is currently heading in the same direction. The fact that Bailey Williams has been selected to play should be concerning for Oscar. We don't need three tall forwards with Liam Ryan down there.

And disposal counts do matter when you only touching the ball four times during a match. Even someone with your low IQ should be able to work that out.

Yes, we all know he has talent but he has to produce it in a consistent manner otherwise he won't be playing finals. It is that simple.
You received a well balanced and polite reply to your post.
Yet once again, you always have to put in a snide, rude and unnecessary comment.
And when you get it back, you run off and cry to mummy.

I doubt you'd have the minerals to speak to people in person they way you do behind your keyboard.

Last edited:
Refresher on Foley

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "A medium-sized midfielder who can push forward and impact the scoreboard."

OVERVIEW
Luke Foley went from unknown talent to a bonafide draft prospect after an incredible 2018 campaign. In just nine games for Subiaco’s Colts team, Foley finished fourth in the best and fairest, and tenth in the Jack Clarke Medal, averaging 25 possessions, seven tackles, five inside 50s, four marks and booting nine goals. While for the Western Australia U18s State Academy, he averaged 17 possessions, seven tackles, five clearances, four inside 50s, three marks and kicked two goals from three games.
STRENGTHS
  • Accumulation
  • Skills
  • Workrate
  • Clean hands
  • Scoreboard impact
  • Big game performer
As a midfielder, Foley shares similar traits to GWS star Stephen Coniglio due to his ball-winning ability, two-way running, class on the outside and his ability to impact the scoreboard. For Subiaco’s Colts’ team, Foley ranked eleventh for total possessions (225) and third for possessions per game (25) such was his ball-winning ability. Foley accumulated 22 or more possessions in seven games, including a dominant 36 possessions against Claremont in Round 4.
When Foley has possession he does not let it go to waste, as he will more often than not lace out his targets with his penetrating kicks. Or, if he is winning the ball out of congestion he will produce a quick-fire handball to a teammate in open space. Another reason why he is so good with his skill execution is because of his clean hands. Foley rarely fumbles the ball and as such his ability to find targets either by hand or foot is exceptional.
He is also an excellent two-way runner, ranking seventh for tackles at Subiaco and third for the WA U18s State Academy. But also his ability to chase, and worry his opponents is excellent. Such is his work-rate, Foley has also demonstrated an ability to drift forward and impact the scoreboard with a combined 11 goals from 12 games between Subiaco and WA. His nous inside the forward 50 worries defenders as he sets up teammates, and can slot goals himself.
Finally, he has demonstrated an ability to play well in big games. In the second Semi-Final against Swan Districts, Foley finished with 22 possessions, five marks, five tackles, three inside 50s and two goals to be one of Subiaco’s best. He was also very close to securing the Mel Whinnen Medal (WAFL Colts’ Grand Final Best on Ground Medal) after a dominant performance in the Grand Final with 22 possessions, seven marks, six tackles and six inside 50s.
IMPROVEMENTS
  • Strength
  • Durability
  • Acceleration from a stoppage
Despite having a host of excellent athletic traits, Foley does not boast the blistering acceleration out of a stoppage that some other midfielders have. However, his endurance and ability to cover the ground should hold him in good stead. He also missed a large chunk of the season due to injury, and as such AFL clubs will want to monitor his situation closely. However, with the right medical team, the AFL club that picks him up should be able to have him durable quickly enough. It is not a massive thing, but Foley will need to put on some muscle if he is to start in the midfield for the AFL club that selects him. He is more ready-made than other midfielders, but can always increase his strength and become even more effective on the inside.
DRAFT PROJECTION: 15-30
SUMMARY
One of the premium midfield prospects for this year’s draft, Foley is a hard-working, skilful and damaging midfielder. With a full AFL pre-season behind him, expect Foley to play a few games in his first season of AFL football. He is an over-age prospect and showed at the National Under 18 Championships, that he is capable of using the ball well and making good decisions. He can play forward, back or through the middle, with his work at the stoppage very impressive. He is predicted to go somewhere in the late-first round to mid-second round, and would be a valuable addition to any side that will be looking for a versatile midfielder with good upside.

If Luke Foley is playing well today, I am sure the other 17 clubs will have their eyes open on the 3 other available Foley.

As extracted from:

"He has not been the only Foley in WAFL ranks of late, with his brother Fraser (21) on the senior list at West Perth, younger brother Kane (17) trying out for Subi colts next season and cousin Logan Foley representing the Falcons colts this year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Luke Foley is playing well today, I am sure the other 17 clubs will have their eyes open on the 3 other available Foley.

As extracted from:

"He has not been the only Foley in WAFL ranks of late, with his brother Fraser (21) on the senior list at West Perth, younger brother Kane (17) trying out for Subi colts next season and cousin Logan Foley representing the Falcons colts this year."
Brian Foley - rucked for West Perth and the State in the 50-60's - and relations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back