Review Round 17, 2020 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just the way of footy followers. It's cyclical.

When you're a crap team you're down in the mouth about not being able to win but look to every promising player as the second coming and celebrate the 3 or 4 wins you get every year like a grand final. Mistakes and poor performances are part and parcel of being no good. You know you can't be improved because you've tried most of your reserves 2 or 3 times over.

When you're a good team on the rise everyone gets put under the microscope , you're looking at any way you can to get even better so you can never be beaten. Every loss gets over analysed , anyone who isn't performing well could easily be replaced by someone better and because reserves haven't been given much chance who knows how good they could be.

We're at that stage now where we're good but haven't had sustained success . That's when you keep trusting the guys who've won premierships until you realise too late they're not what they were.

That is about the same as with McStay. He is an elite pack crasher. Virtually every other aspect of his game is below average.
I wouldn't say his field kicking is below average.

I think it is pretty clear people expect more goals from key forwards. Very understandable too, because it's been that way since the inception of the sport. Small and medium forwards have only recently become a thing in a way. Fagan bangs on about it all the time, "even spread," it's what he wants and what all of the coaches want. If McStay and Hipwood dominated, but no one else did anything, and one day they were both shutdown, it's obviously a disaster. So, if we're going to drag McStay down for goals, may as well also drag down half the forward line.
Does this even spread have to happen in practice, or is it about the potential threat posed by the 3rd/4th/5th forwards? I'd hate it if Ben Brown was available for a reasonable price and we didn't take him due to this concept of even spread. Even if a dangerous key forward gets shut down, surely the point is that other players are able to take over even if they aren't consistently in the goals each week. For example if Brown and Charlie both get the top defenders, Hipwood and McCarthy dine out against the lesser ones.

I wouldn't say his field kicking is below average.

Does this even spread have to happen in practice, or is it about the potential threat posed by the 3rd/4th/5th forwards? I'd hate it if Ben Brown was available for a reasonable price and we didn't take him due to this concept of even spread. Even if a dangerous key forward gets shut down, surely the point is that other players are able to take over even if they aren't consistently in the goals each week. For example if Brown and Charlie both get the top defenders, Hipwood and McCarthy dine out against the lesser ones.
Of course it doesn't happen to a tee in practice, but by at least trying to implement it, the result is more even than what it otherwise would be imo. I completely agree with everything you said, if we can get some more good forwards then great. My point was in the context that all forwards should be regarded evenly. Therefore if someone is going to talk smack about McStay's goal output, they should also include Cameron and McCarthy.

Had the wind behind it, but that is an almighty effort.
The gust measured at the time was actually caused by the swing of his leg.

Back