Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Brisbane Sat 19th Sept 7.40PM @ Gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Mathematical hypotheticals......
If we win by couple of goals, Freo lose, & GWS lose by same margin, we go to 10th on ladder.
If we get beaten by Brisbane less than what Dockers get beaten by Western Bulldogs, we will overtake them on the ladder. 12th to 11th. (There is only 1.1 difference in percentage.)
If we lose and * beat Demons. (* overtake us) We go to 13th on ladder. So, pick 6 or 9 up for grabs. What do we prefer?
Draft picks Neither here or there. However, finishing 13th does mean you have an easier draw by playing 3 bottom 6 teams twice (usually). This on a 22 round system.

Last edited:

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely they give hmac a game before they delist him

I can't see MacReadie being delisted, with Jones and Casboult being 30 & 31 before next years season stats and only Goddard and Ben Silvagni as back up rtall defenders surely we keep a 22 year old we have been developing and is just starting to overcome injury?

I would keep him over Goddard, Lang, Moore and probably O'Dwyer, we already have Kreuzer and Simpson going and question marks over Betts - not sure we need to drop off too many more.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
One thing I saw last week and all season really that made me cringe is our ruckman attending stoppages in our forward line.

We have McKay and Casboult up forward and there is TDK attending a stoppage, I'm not the coach but if I was this is something which would make my brain melt.

I reckon TDK or whoever is rucking needs to be sitting a kick behind the play when it comes to stoppages in the forward line.

There are a lot of little things and some big things tactically and structurally that we don't get right and this is one of them.

Levi plays so far up the ground for most of it, TDK is an athletic ruckman with key position player traits but struggles a bit with being a bit undersized and hence struggles a little with the around the ground ruck contests, Casboult is a big strong unit of a man who is good in the body on body stuff, we are right on the too tall limit with our forward structure....

Our coaching team in all their wisdom have not put all this together yet! The obvious thing to do here is play TDK in the ruck but around the ground he plays a kick behind the contest and as an extra defender helping out Weitering, Jones and Plowman and sitting in the prime space of their opponents. Casboult takes all the around the ground ruck contests in the forward half of the ground.

This is an untapped tactic that would work favorably in our advantage.

It would:

- Make better use of Casboult in our team who goes missing a lot.
- Make better use of McGovern in our team who goes missing a lot, mostly because we have Casboult and McKay and never go to McGovern or allow him to occupy the prime space they are afforded.
- Significantly improve the quality of footy Weitering, Jones and Plowman play by blocking their opponents space and giving them what they want, more one on ones.
- Increase our defensive results, more intercepts and less scores against.
- Actually make use of a very tall forward line.
- Teach TDK how to read they play and identify space and give him a defensive education.
- Avoid TDK's weakness by having him attend less around the ground stoppages.
- Aid in the team's defence.
- Possibly open the forward line up a little.

I'd just like to see us defend and employ some defensive tactics this game but defend to attack not defend to stop the bleeding as we saw under Bolton.

Brisbane have nothing to play for in ladder position and so we will either get a hiding because they are just overall better or win by 3 goals and still finish 11th.

How can teams that seemed down and out like Brisbane rebound so quickly, whilst Carlton stay bottom 4 year in year out.

The difference is Chris Fagan. He’s a special mix of technical and people/relationship manager.

Even the players that don’t get Afl games seem to love him and want to stay for the long haul.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Brisbane have nothing to play for in ladder position and so we will either get a hiding because they are just overall better or win by 3 goals and still finish 11th.

How can teams that seemed down and out like Brisbane rebound so quickly, whilst Carlton stay bottom 4 year in year out.
God, don't prompt that conversation again.

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely in Cripps 100th game against his bunny team in Brisbane with Simpson retiring (big games in everyone of his milestones) we can get up. Brisbane are coming second no matter what.

Les Bleus

Debutant
Feb 21, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
One thing I saw last week and all season really that made me cringe is our ruckman attending stoppages in our forward line.

We have McKay and Casboult up forward and there is TDK attending a stoppage, I'm not the coach but if I was this is something which would make my brain melt.

I reckon TDK or whoever is rucking needs to be sitting a kick behind the play when it comes to stoppages in the forward line.

There are a lot of little things and some big things tactically and structurally that we don't get right and this is one of them.

Levi plays so far up the ground for most of it, TDK is an athletic ruckman with key position player traits but struggles a bit with being a bit undersized and hence struggles a little with the around the ground ruck contests, Casboult is a big strong unit of a man who is good in the body on body stuff, we are right on the too tall limit with our forward structure....

Our coaching team in all their wisdom have not put all this together yet! The obvious thing to do here is play TDK in the ruck but around the ground he plays a kick behind the contest and as an extra defender helping out Weitering, Jones and Plowman and sitting in the prime space of their opponents. Casboult takes all the around the ground ruck contests in the forward half of the ground.

This is an untapped tactic that would work favorably in our advantage.

It would:

- Make better use of Casboult in our team who goes missing a lot.
- Make better use of McGovern in our team who goes missing a lot, mostly because we have Casboult and McKay and never go to McGovern or allow him to occupy the prime space they are afforded.
- Significantly improve the quality of footy Weitering, Jones and Plowman play by blocking their opponents space and giving them what they want, more one on ones.
- Increase our defensive results, more intercepts and less scores against.
- Actually make use of a very tall forward line.
- Teach TDK how to read they play and identify space and give him a defensive education.
- Avoid TDK's weakness by having him attend less around the ground stoppages.
- Aid in the team's defence.
- Possibly open the forward line up a little.

I'd just like to see us defend and employ some defensive tactics this game but defend to attack not defend to stop the bleeding as we saw under Bolton.

Thanks GBM. I like your analysis and solution a lot. I wonder whether anybody at Carlton sifts through board posts to find the gems like these so that they might be passed up the chain for consideration?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Surely they give hmac a game before they delist him
Macreadie should be played this week down back to see what he can offer. Rest Jones or Plowman for last game.
Polson in for Docherty.
Owies in for Fisher. Drop McGovern for anyone. Rest Ed Curnow and play a youngster in the middle too for something ******* different.
I'd expect 4 or 5 changes minimum so we can have a look at players we need to look at more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back