May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Depends what they've got listed as their home address. I assume his family is still up here.

GWS lost a player because the family had two home addresses, one at their farm in NSW and a second property in Victoria where they moved when their kid went to boarding school because it was closer.
Who was that?

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have no idea what Neale is on, but do you believe he’s on overs or fair market value.

The typical narrative has always been that most good players changing clubs, cost a premium to get out of their current club.

Who were the last good players to change clubs for unders?

Certainly from reports, Lyons moved for less than what he was on at the Gold Coast, for the security of a longer term deal.

Did Lynch went for less? but that was as much as getting out of Gold Coast at the time.
Neale is the highest paid player on our list

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need a mature aged Key Forward who can demand the best key defender every week. I don't see anyone in our team now who can provide that to help Hipwood. When Hipwood plays on a shitty defender (mostly through opposition injury) he destroys them. Brown, Cameron, Daniher would all demand the best key defender every week. Wonder if we will go hard at Hogan... think he would be the best fit if he can get on the park.

It was more about Eddie and Clarko whinging.
Can't speak for the Murray region but so far as Albury is concerned, I shared their view. Was really an existing AFL heartland acquired by GWS, not developed by them.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need a mature aged Key Forward who can demand the best key defender every week. I don't see anyone in our team now who can provide that to help Hipwood. When Hipwood plays on a shitty defender (mostly through opposition injury) he destroys them. Brown, Cameron, Daniher would all demand the best key defender every week. Wonder if we will go hard at Hogan... think he would be the best fit if he can get on the park.
At present there is no plans to pursue a Mature Aged Key Forward. That doesn't mean they wouldn't look at a player should he show up on the radar but at this present time, other players for other positions are considered higher priority.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At present there is no plans to pursue a Mature Aged Key Forward. That doesn't mean they wouldn't look at a player should he show up on the radar but at this present time, other players for other positions are considered higher priority.
Awww man, that's disappointing. I think Ben Brown would add so much to us for a flag tilt.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Agree, I said the same earlier in the thread, he did play the last game so must be good re injury at the moment, he is an elite player when on the park. Would probably cost too much pick and $$$$ though.

He did move from Denny I think to Mildura but I thought it was more about the AFL removing Albury and Murray regions from their Academy zone rather than where he was living. Same with Spargo.

It was Brander.

He was originally slated to be removed because of the move to Mildura, but the removal of the Riverina area ended up being a wider cut which rendered the family decision moot.

On a related note, I knew Ely was from NSW originally but didn't realise he was actually part of the Giants academy until his family moved a couple of years before his draft eligibility.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
It was Brander.

He was originally slated to be removed because of the move to Mildura, but the removal of the Riverina area ended up being a wider cut which rendered the family decision moot.

On a related note, I knew Ely was from NSW originally but didn't realise he was actually part of the Giants academy until his family moved a couple of years before his draft eligibility.

Pretty sure it was either Conole or Noble who mentioned it in the 2018 post draft Roar Deal episode.

Made it sound like Ely hadn’t played any high level junior footy while part of the GWS academy program.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More mids/half forward flankers seeing we have been linked to Cockatoo a few times? There was an article awhile ago saying we wanted to add to our forward stocks or was that just the media making assumptions? Would these players also have a bit of toe as I think that is an area that we lack?

So the noise around us being interested in Daniher is just that? Strange because I do think key forwards is a weakness, not because I don't value Hipwood and McStay, but because one would ask who takes over if they get injured? Midfield is still an area of need clearly, and also anyone with pace e.g. Nakia Cockatoo.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
interesting. Wonder if we are looking at some contracted players that havn't been mentioned elsewhere. No doubt the QLD hub has really opened the eyes of some AFL players. QLD isn't the worst place to ply a trade.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Neale is the highest paid player on our list

Unsurprising and we’ll deserved. The real q is whether despite being the highest paid player on the list Neale is still comparatively underpaid compared to his output and market value.

I bet if he was available this off season he’d get a more lucrative contract despite being 2 years older.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
More mids/half forward flankers seeing we have been linked to Cockatoo a few times? There was an article awhile ago saying we wanted to add to our forward stocks or was that just the media making assumptions? Would these players also have a bit of toe as I think that is an area that we lack?
Ruck?

I believe a lot of the media “articles” are pure speculation along the lines of, a couple of radio hosts rambling on “what do Brisbane need? a KPF looks an obvious need, who’s potentially available, let’s discuss them a possible fit for Brisbane”.

This article discusses our supposed interest in Daniher.

I’d say the only credible reported link to any player so far, is the report of our interest in Cockatoo. It’s pretty much like the link to Ah Chee, when it came out last year.

Back