Membership 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a similar issue. Joined the club from inception as a full AFL member with Lions Club Support package and then a few years later the club said due to a problem with their database they couldn't confirm when I became a member so they would only count it from that later date. Fortunately I had kept my old AFL membership cards showing me as a club support member and the key ring issued to foundation members back in 1997 and after sending them copies and extensive toing and froing eventually I convinced them to accept that I was a foundation member. Took quite an effort though.
I'm not one to collect anything, including merchandise or footy jumpers or the like, but as a fellow Foundation Member, I have kept every single membership pack (97-20), including badges, stickers, lanyard, fridge magnets (other than the membership card, I've not used any of it) and any other snail mail correspondence i.e the Lions Tale paper, team posters, Financial Reports, End of Season Review Magazine and the mag that the club sent members at the commencement of the season (all of the stopped at least 10 years ago when everything went digital), which is a shame because they were such a good memento and records of each season. In addition to other bits and pieces acquired from the club, including special draft books I got from the club at the special Melbourne Draft Nights, all of it is in pristine condition and stored in a plastic container given none of it is has ever been used as such.

Problem is, I have no idea what to do with any of it and just keep adding to it each year. No doubt there would be quite a bit of stuff you'd be lucky to find unless others have kept it. The only thing I thought of doing, which may look quite average, was to frame every single membership card collectively in chronological order. Next year will be the 25th membership card, so perhaps I might do it then with a 5 x 5 layout or something.

The afl membership meant you still got to go to other afl games right? while joining the lions meant only six games a year (at the time, and we all know it’s even less now). I wouldn’t want to just stop going to games cause my team moved away. hell, I go suns games.

If the afl membership got access to the lions games it wouldn’t be a stretch to skip the direct lions membership.

Given how tough the fans had it with their team moving away surely a bit of largess from the new identity is appropriate. It wouldn’t be many
The AFL restricted member back in 1997 was you could go and watch up to 40 home and away games in the season. Brisbane Lions was my club choice.

I'm not one to collect anything, including merchandise or footy jumpers or the like, but as a fellow Foundation Member, I have kept every single membership pack (97-20), including badges, stickers, lanyard, fridge magnets (other than the membership card, I've not used any of it) and any other snail mail correspondence i.e the Lions Tale paper, team posters, Financial Reports, End of Season Review Magazine and the mag that the club sent members at the commencement of the season (all of the stopped at least 10 years ago when everything went digital), which is a shame because they were such a good memento and records of each season. In addition to other bits and pieces acquired from the club, including special draft books I got from the club at the special Melbourne Draft Nights, all of it is in pristine condition and stored in a plastic container given none of it is has ever been used as such.

Problem is, I have no idea what to do with any of it and just keep adding to it each year. No doubt there would be quite a bit of stuff you'd be lucky to find unless others have kept it. The only thing I thought of doing, which may look quite average, was to frame every single membership card collectively in chronological order. Next year will be the 25th membership card, so perhaps I might do it then with a 5 x 5 layout or something.
I like how you start of Dylan12 with " I'm not one to collect anything" and then you reel off all the stuff you have collected;) . Nice little collection you have stored away.:clapping:

I like how you start of Dylan12 with " I'm not one to collect anything" and then you reel off all the stuff you have collected;) . Nice little collection you have stored away.:clapping:
More that I just keep adding each year's membership pack into the container's without intentionally collecting it, but yeah, you make a good point. I just can't throw the stuff away. :thumbsu:

The first Lions Tale paper with Michael Voss on the front modelling our inaugural strip is pretty special though.

More that I just keep adding each year's membership pack into the container's without intentionally collecting it, but yeah, you make a good point. I just can't throw the stuff away. :thumbsu:

The first Lions Tale paper with Michael Voss on the front modelling our inaugural strip is pretty special though.
Mate don't you dare throw any of that away. If you ever want to get rid of anything I'm sure people would be interested in some of it *hint* :)

Just got an email saying that there was a problem rolling over my September membership this year (which I was charged for by the way) and hitting me up to pay an extra $50 with no guarantee that the September membership will even give me priority. That's some scam level bullcrap right there that I never expected from our footy club.

Just got an email saying that there was a problem rolling over my September membership this year (which I was charged for by the way) and hitting me up to pay an extra $50 with no guarantee that the September membership will even give me priority. That's some scam level bullcrap right there that I never expected from our footy club.

Wtf, that's not right.

You got charged accordingly and you were a September member last year. I'd recommend to call the club to sort this out if possible.

Went back and it wasn't itemised on my invoice. I didn't add September membership on until half way through last season. My two memberships in 2018 for last season were $950. This season I was invoiced $1080. If September membership isn't included in what they charged me that's a ridiculous price increase.

Got the same email. I think it is to all those who added September memberships throughout last year when it became clear we were a finals chance - those September memberships weren't automatically added onto memberships again this year (as they normally are I believe for September Members).

Think it's quite unfair to call it a scam though. I think they have been receiving a whole heap of messages asking about September membership re: priority ticketing to a Gabba grand final in particular and so wanted to address the situation. What they're saying is that they don't have info on that yet, but to those who rightfully could argue they thought their September membership would roll over, they can have the chance to add that to their account now knowing that it's at least going to give you a better chance at finals/grand final tickets than not having it will. It's an option people who weren't September Members last year don't have either.

Went back and it wasn't itemised on my invoice. I didn't add September membership on until half way through last season. My two memberships in 2018 for last season were $950. This season I was invoiced $1080. If September membership isn't included in what they charged me that's a ridiculous price increase.

Our cards came at the beginning of the year with SM (for September membership) printed on the top line next to the ticket type. Might be worth checking your card and if it's printed there you have your proof.

Got the same email. I think it is to all those who added September memberships throughout last year when it became clear we were a finals chance - those September memberships weren't automatically added onto memberships again this year (as they normally are I believe for September Members).

Think it's quite unfair to call it a scam though. I think they have been receiving a whole heap of messages asking about September membership re: priority ticketing to a Gabba grand final in particular and so wanted to address the situation. What they're saying is that they don't have info on that yet, but to those who rightfully could argue they thought their September membership would roll over, they can have the chance to add that to their account now knowing that it's at least going to give you a better chance at finals/grand final tickets than not having it will. It's an option people who weren't September Members last year don't have either.

I specifically asked at the time of renewal, because I've had issues with only being charged on one of my memberships in the past and I made the switch from the payment plan to paying upfront.

And I can't find record of non SM prices reserved seat membership prices because they seem to have been scrubbed from the internet but the pricing i'm pretty certain was $500 or less without an add on. "Pay extra for this thing you've already paid for and was our administrative error that we can't even guarantee will mean anything" is problematic even if not intentionally a scam.

Our cards came at the beginning of the year with SM (for September membership) printed on the top line next to the ticket type. Might be worth checking your card and if it's printed there you have your proof.

SM is definitley printed on both my cards. Just checked, wouldn't have noticed so thanks for the tip.

I specifically asked at the time of renewal, because I've had issues with only being charged on one of my memberships in the past and I made the switch from the payment plan to paying upfront.

And I can't find record of non SM prices reserved seat membership prices because they seem to have been scrubbed from the internet but the pricing i'm pretty certain was $500 or less without an add on. "Pay extra for this thing you've already paid for and was our administrative error that we can't even guarantee will mean anything" is problematic even if not intentionally a scam.

SM is definitley printed on both my cards. Just checked, wouldn't have noticed so thanks for the tip.

Could you let us know if that’s sufficient because I don’t have an invoice that specifically states September member and I’ll be gutted right along with you if it’s not.

Could you let us know if that’s sufficient because I don’t have an invoice that specifically states September member and I’ll be gutted right along with you if it’s not.

Will chase it up tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About Grand final ticketing

Competing club members have the largest allocation with 54 per cent of the overall amount (16,200 of 30,000).

Finals Series ticket holders and relevant AFL and Medallion Club Memberships 15 per cent, Premium hospitality packages 16 per cent and the remaining 15 per cent made up of AFL stakeholders, Corporate and Broadcast partners.

Any club members allocation that isn't taken up then goes on sale to the general public.

Read in the Herald Sun that we have 24,672 Queensland based members (source: Article)

With 29,277 members in total, that leaves 4,605 to the remaining states. I'd be surprised if we had more than 4000 VIC members.

I feel the club puts in a lot of effort for such a small percentage of our membership base (HOF functions, draft nights, family days and aftermatch functions). This year aside, the margin on a VIC membership would be pretty low.

Food for thought when the fixture gets released and we don't get 6 games in Melbourne "per the merger agreement", which I might add is outside the control of the club anyway.

P.s. I'm a VIC member.

For the full finals price list on all venues go to link below

Adult-Concession -Junior & Family prices available for weeks one to three
For grand final only Adult & Concession prices available

Gabba Only- Looks same pricing at other venues but i did not check thoroughly
Week one and two: Adult $35 to $93 (four categories)
Week Three.........: Adult $65 to $187 (four categories)
Grand Final..........: Adult $185 to $422 - Concession $157 to $359 (four categories)

Club finally got back to me. My September membership was intact. I was on the email list by mistake. I fixed it when my membership didn't roll over properly last December and called them up to pay it all in one go rather than the installment plan. The misunderstanding came about because I had forgotten I actually had a rollover problem previously. There may be others like me but I guess that most who received the email would have received it correctly if they are still on monthly payments.

Read in the Herald Sun that we have 24,672 Queensland based members (source: Article)

With 29,277 members in total, that leaves 4,605 to the remaining states. I'd be surprised if we had more than 4000 VIC members.

I feel the club puts in a lot of effort for such a small percentage of our membership base (HOF functions, draft nights, family days and aftermatch functions). This year aside, the margin on a VIC membership would be pretty low.

Food for thought when the fixture gets released and we don't get 6 games in Melbourne "per the merger agreement", which I might add is outside the control of the club anyway.

P.s. I'm a VIC member.

I suspect the vic membership is important for the dialogue of the lions being a historically proud club. Which is important for setting the expectations of the club and the players.

which means they all fit under the 8100 member tickets available for the grand final if 30k limit still in place.

I expect it won’t be that simple though - I reckon pledged members will be before non pledged september

You can't be non pledged and a September member though can you?

You can't be non pledged and a September member though can you?

if you bought your September membership at the beginning of the year then didn’t pledge technically you would be but yeah, maybe you wouldn’t be considered as September member for finals this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back