Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Norf round 18

I agree that it was poor tackling from a few, but I saw Cole and Duggan have some broken tackles after flying at their man full tilt. I'll take that, they just need that backup tackler to come finish the job, at the moment they're successfully interrupting clean possession only for there to be no secondary pressure and the opponents run it out. Part and parcel of such an overly tall team.

Other times players do need to slow down to tackle, which they hopefully get from looking at the tape. The bigger the discrepancy in speeds and directions of the tackler and tacklee means the tackle will be harder to lay. The players need to adjust for this sometimes a bit better.

I think that our tackling has been poor for some time now. :(:huh:

Last edited:
Ultimately we were 1-3 and have finished 12-5. Given the doom and gloom on here after the 1-3, rightfully so, the boys ticked damn near every box they could have to finish the season right in with a chance.

From here it's anyone's guess, as I expect these finals will be really weird after such a strange season. If you'd offered us 12-5 or a chance to play the season out completely when we were 1-3, I know what I'd have taken.

Bring it on.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I'm not that bothered about that one, 5 games in 19 days and they took a while to get going.

But after they did, Norf only scored 18 after quarter time. So I liked our ability to tighten up where we were getting smashed in the first.

Yes, Norf missed some very gettable shots but watching them back post game it worked out 5 they absolutely should've got vs 4 we should've.

Kelly was cooked tonight, hopefully he's ok for finals.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It's just the whole coming in at full pace and then being side stepped that is annoying.

At least Duggan and Cole lunge full bodied at the player with the ball and knock them about, or cause them to fumble, he just over runs the man then tries to grab the back of the jumper, causing no real stresses to the player with the ball.

peekaye

Senior List
Jun 13, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Good to see Ainsworth getting some positive attention in here. Some of the posts criticising him and the other kids are seriously over the top - these lads are getting games here and there, often being played well out of position and are trying to find their feet on the big stage and fit into a pretty tight, well drilled unit. Would be nice if the more critical posters would give them more than 1-2 games before basically declaring them to be "delist" worthy.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that out tackling has been poor for some time now. :(:huh:
Hurn used to be unbreakable, but has let a few slip this year.

Shuey is really good at tackling players who are looking for a free kick, just knows how to bully them around.

Nobody (possibly in the league) can tackle like Yeo.

Outside of that it's not a good tackling team, although Schofield has shown good technique on the last line of defence.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
We played like a team playing a game that was/is probably a dead rubber, in horrible conditions, with a heap of sore players who are planning on heading home shortly to prepare for finals against a team who wanted something to hold on to for the end of the year - in disgusting conditions - and we still won.

I'm not overly confident on our finals hopes, but I'm not worried about that game. We did what we needed to when we needed to.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Coming back from a long-term injury as a young player will do that to you.
Was rubbish at the start of year as well.

Seems like he gets judged differently on play than others. One 5 second highlight in a game doesn't cut it. Hasn't even managed that in 2 games.

Fail

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
No real point analysing that game.

Positives:
+ We got the 4 points
+ We put pressure on Richmond and Geelong to have to win their games to finish top 4
+ 2 weeks off
+ Players coming back from injury
+ We get to go home tomorrow

Negatives:
- JK
- I'm not sure if we can just expect us to just turn it on come finals

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's been a tough tropical tour and we scraped the barrel clean with stand-in soldiers.
They played their roles some better than others, but without them we wouldn't be where we are.
Thank the gods it's over and those tired beat up guys can get the rest they deserve back home with loved ones.
Regroup, reset, re-enter. Wait and watch how the other games unfold and how our injuries unfold over the next coupla weeks...
Feeling a bit flat, but remain optimistic!

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Not counting GWS or lolDees who wont make the 8

We are a 50% chance of playing St Kilda if we finish 5th
25% chance of The Dogs
25% chancce of Collingwood

Thats good IMO as we can beat St Kilda but the Dogs and Collingwood especially Collingwood in finals at Perth is bad
Neither the dogs or saints have traveled to Perth this year . Bodes well

Not counting GWS or lolDees who wont make the 8

We are a 50% chance of playing St Kilda if we finish 5th
25% chance of The Dogs
25% chancce of Collingwood

Thats good IMO as we can beat St Kilda but the Dogs and Collingwood especially Collingwood in finals at Perth is bad

All's good my friend, worry not, regardless of who we play.

Nothing quite like a bit of strategically placed salmonella, around and inside the Bain Marie in the dinning room of the resort where they are " hubbing ", to even up the competition

Back