ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders

Read this. Genuinely can't remember anything truer being said.

His Footyology pod is a good listen and he, as well as co-host Finey, talk well about all clubs, not just Vic ones.

This is part of the solution. Follow and support media like Footyology and un-follow and don’t click on the Fox Footy, Footy Classified, clickbait stuff.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with this. Footyology is great podcast.

I used to listen to Finey on SEN back in the day. I couldn’t stand him. But he’s genuinely good to listen to on this. He and Rohan have a great rapport and offer some great insight.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
His Footyology pod is a good listen and he, as well as co-host Finey, talk well about all clubs, not just Vic ones.

This is part of the solution. Follow and support media like Footyology and un-follow and don’t click on the Fox Footy, Footy Classified, clickbait stuff.
Hopefully bigfooty doesnt get bought by the afl or ch7 otherwise Im outie

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We just had a nice little segment on First Crack with Kingy, Montagna and Kat (I think that’s her name, apologies). Those with Kayo should be able to watch.

Spoke about whether we should rest Nic and Jjk as it’s a dead rubber. Also some great vision of clever knock ons we did against Saints. We are number 1 in the league for knock ons. That shocked me

David King is by far the blokes opinion i rate the most in the industry at the moment. He's usually on the mark

He also defended Gaffy after his hit on Brayshaw to the hilt so thats some brownie points

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

Good read! - lots of truth in there but that’s what happens when the ‘footy universe’ is controlled by about 20 different talking heads, the vast majority of which live in the same city and polish each other’s knobs to keep their heads on TV.

They all have their agendas, their projects, their club alliances.

Melbourne play s**t? - Gary Lyon will be outraged as if he hasn’t played a leading hand in Melbourne being s**t for decades.

Essendon play s**t and aren’t being coached by a close friend? - Matthew Lloyd is ready to role.

....but if they play well....look out....expectations are high and all is well....

Woosha copped a serve this week for telling it how it is about Essendon. When he said ‘Essendon People’ he didn’t mean ‘the fans’ as the ‘experts’ seemed to decide - he was talking about the likes of Lloyd and Mark Robinson that have this expectation that Essendon are Essendon therefore they must be successful....despite being a middle of the road club for 20 years. Woosha took them on when nobody would and got a mediocre list to finals in 2 of his 4 years with a full squad. They were NEVER in the picture for a flag - that’s ridiculous to even suggest really - and they are still a way off now because unfortunately, the cattle they have just isn’t good enough.

Great get Avishka.

Kane Cornes love the grab and has for a while now - my favourite description of a footballer was when Ollie Wines's brother said he "sheep dogged" his was to 300 games. So accurate.

David King is by far the blokes opinion i rate the most in the industry at the moment. He's usually on the mark

He also defended Gaffy after his hit on Brayshaw to the hilt so thats some brownie points

Yeah but let's be honest, King loves the Eagles coz he loves Simmo. Something we can all get around IMO.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
Good read! - lots of truth in there but that’s what happens when the ‘footy universe’ is controlled by about 20 different talking heads, the vast majority of which live in the same city and polish each other’s knobs to keep their heads on TV.

They all have their agendas, their projects, their club alliances.

Melbourne play sh*t? - Gary Lyon will be outraged as if he hasn’t played a leading hand in Melbourne being sh*t for decades.

Essendon play sh*t and aren’t being coached by a close friend? - Matthew Lloyd is ready to role.

....but if they play well....look out....expectations are high and all is well....

Woosha copped a serve this week for telling it how it is about Essendon. When he said ‘Essendon People’ he didn’t mean ‘the fans’ as the ‘experts’ seemed to decide - he was talking about the likes of Lloyd and Mark Robinson that have this expectation that Essendon are Essendon therefore they must be successful....despite being a middle of the road club for 20 years. Woosha took them on when nobody would and got a mediocre list to finals in 2 of his 4 years with a full squad. They were NEVER in the picture for a flag - that’s ridiculous to even suggest really - and they are still a way off now because unfortunately, the cattle they have just isn’t good enough.

Essendon let Sheedy go too early. If Essendon had kept him around for another year or two, perhaps with a transition in place to Matty Knights, I think success would have come. He knew how to inspire his players and draw their talent to the surface.

Not sure if Sheedy would have been happy with a transitional approach though. Like Malthouse, he’d probably have baulked at the idea of handing over the reins to someone else.

Still, there’s no chance the supplement saga happens under Sheedy’s watch.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFC inquiry: West Coast Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett dismisses claims he’s ‘the godfather of WA football’

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has dismissed as “nonsense” a description put to him at a parliamentary inquiry that he is “the godfather of WA football”.
The Eagles’ “control” over how the sport is run in WA, its refusal to let its 100,000 members elect board members and the level of financial support provided by the club to grassroots football all came under the microscope in a 90-minute grilling from a committee of MPs.
Public Accounts Committee chairman Tony Buti asked Mr Nisbett if he told a meeting of WAFL club presidents and chief executives at the WA Football Commission’s headquarters that, “if we don’t work together we could lose our government funding”.
Mr Nisbett twice said he couldn’t “recall” exactly what he told the meeting of footy bosses after the inquiry was launched into how the WAFC spends the almost $11 million in taxpayers’ money it receives each year from the State Government.
“I can’t recall exactly what I said at that meeting, but I explicitly said that football should work with football on all occasions, but certainly there was no intention to impede this inquiry. We actually welcome this inquiry,” he replied.
Mr Nisbett and his counterpart at the Fremantle Dockers, Simon Garlick, appeared before the committee via video link today after inaugural Eagles coach and respected sports administrator Ron Alexander last month lifted the lid on football’s alleged “underbelly” and claimed a “ruling class” controlled the code.
Labor MP Mr Buti alluded to these allegations when he asked Mr Nisbett if he was aware he had been referred to as “the godfather of football in Western Australia”.
“No sir, I haven’t. I find that ...” Mr Nisbett replied. “That may be an opinion of someone, but I’ve been in football for 45 years and coming from the country, being in the WAFL system, I understand the system well.
“I’ve been with the West Coast Eagles for 31 years. I’ve been in football all my life and I’ve devoted my life to football. I find those sort of comments nonsense.”
He added: “I think our performance as a football club would illustrate, and some of the directors of our club over a number of years would probably be offended to think that that was the case or that was the assertion.”
The inquiry today heard that of the 18 AFL clubs, West Coast and Fremantle were the only clubs that did not give their members the power to elect at least some board members. The Dockers removed their member-elected directors last year.
Asked why the Eagles didn’t allow their 100,000 members the opportunity to vote for who sits on the club’s board, Mr Nisbett replied that in his 21 years at the helm, West Coast hadn’t had elections and “it’s proved fantastic for our football club”.
He said there had been little interest from members wanting to stand for election, and the appointment system via the WAFC had resulted in the appointment of “outstanding” directors with the skills the club requires. Mr Nisbett has sat on the Eagles board since 2003 and told the committee he saw no conflict of interest in holding the dual positions.
Mr Buti highlighted that last year the Eagles made revenue of $88.7 million, a profit of $8 million and contributed $4.1 million to the WAFC.
He said an argument could be mounted that more money should be going from West Coast to the WAFC to distribute to grassroots football in WA.
“Mr Chairman, it is an argument ... we have on a regular basis with our owner, the WAFC,” Mr Nisbett said, who pointed out the club contributes “significantly” through the Optus Stadium-user agreement.
“We recently engaged in a new agreement with the football commission based around a percentage of our profit.
“We believe it’s the appropriate royalty agreement based around an incentive for our club to continue to make profits.
“A profitable club is then able to build its reserves for times like this year ... when we’ve (had) this COVID-19 issue and consequently we’ve had to delve into our resources ... to ensure we can get through this year.”

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
The ABC have been producing some good, thoughtful analysis on the game this year. This one is on the ruck role. Lots of graphs and videos, so it is best to click the link.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFC inquiry: West Coast Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett dismisses claims he’s ‘the godfather of WA football’

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has dismissed as “nonsense” a description put to him at a parliamentary inquiry that he is “the godfather of WA football”.
The Eagles’ “control” over how the sport is run in WA, its refusal to let its 100,000 members elect board members and the level of financial support provided by the club to grassroots football all came under the microscope in a 90-minute grilling from a committee of MPs.
Public Accounts Committee chairman Tony Buti asked Mr Nisbett if he told a meeting of WAFL club presidents and chief executives at the WA Football Commission’s headquarters that, “if we don’t work together we could lose our government funding”.
Mr Nisbett twice said he couldn’t “recall” exactly what he told the meeting of footy bosses after the inquiry was launched into how the WAFC spends the almost $11 million in taxpayers’ money it receives each year from the State Government.
“I can’t recall exactly what I said at that meeting, but I explicitly said that football should work with football on all occasions, but certainly there was no intention to impede this inquiry. We actually welcome this inquiry,” he replied.
Mr Nisbett and his counterpart at the Fremantle Dockers, Simon Garlick, appeared before the committee via video link today after inaugural Eagles coach and respected sports administrator Ron Alexander last month lifted the lid on football’s alleged “underbelly” and claimed a “ruling class” controlled the code.
Labor MP Mr Buti alluded to these allegations when he asked Mr Nisbett if he was aware he had been referred to as “the godfather of football in Western Australia”.
“No sir, I haven’t. I find that ...” Mr Nisbett replied. “That may be an opinion of someone, but I’ve been in football for 45 years and coming from the country, being in the WAFL system, I understand the system well.
“I’ve been with the West Coast Eagles for 31 years. I’ve been in football all my life and I’ve devoted my life to football. I find those sort of comments nonsense.”
He added: “I think our performance as a football club would illustrate, and some of the directors of our club over a number of years would probably be offended to think that that was the case or that was the assertion.”
The inquiry today heard that of the 18 AFL clubs, West Coast and Fremantle were the only clubs that did not give their members the power to elect at least some board members. The Dockers removed their member-elected directors last year.
Asked why the Eagles didn’t allow their 100,000 members the opportunity to vote for who sits on the club’s board, Mr Nisbett replied that in his 21 years at the helm, West Coast hadn’t had elections and “it’s proved fantastic for our football club”.
He said there had been little interest from members wanting to stand for election, and the appointment system via the WAFC had resulted in the appointment of “outstanding” directors with the skills the club requires. Mr Nisbett has sat on the Eagles board since 2003 and told the committee he saw no conflict of interest in holding the dual positions.
Mr Buti highlighted that last year the Eagles made revenue of $88.7 million, a profit of $8 million and contributed $4.1 million to the WAFC.
He said an argument could be mounted that more money should be going from West Coast to the WAFC to distribute to grassroots football in WA.
“Mr Chairman, it is an argument ... we have on a regular basis with our owner, the WAFC,” Mr Nisbett said, who pointed out the club contributes “significantly” through the Optus Stadium-user agreement.
“We recently engaged in a new agreement with the football commission based around a percentage of our profit.
“We believe it’s the appropriate royalty agreement based around an incentive for our club to continue to make profits.
“A profitable club is then able to build its reserves for times like this year ... when we’ve (had) this COVID-19 issue and consequently we’ve had to delve into our resources ... to ensure we can get through this year.”

Interesting read. I think Nisbett has done an outstanding job at the Eagles and what he says is true: why would they consider changing their current model for electing directors when the club is the most successful football organisation in the land?

However, I do find his insistence that there is no conflict of interest in having a seat on the board of directors and being ceo somewhat disingenuous. Strange that Buti didn’t pursue Nisbett’s reasoning on that.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting read. I think Nisbett has done an outstanding job at the Eagles and what he says is true: why would they consider changing their current model for electing directors when the club is the most successful football organisation in the land?

However, I do find his insistence that there is no conflict of interest in having a seat on the board of directors and being ceo somewhat disingenuous. Strange that Buti didn’t pursue Nisbett’s reasoning on that.

It's an identical model to the AFL.

Gil is CEO and has a spot on the Commission, and Goyder is the chairman.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
It's an identical model to the AFL.

Gil is CEO and has a spot on the Commission, and Goyder is the chairman.

You’re right. Interesting.

I thought when the commission assumed control from the directors, one of the stipulations was that the CEO could not be on the board.

It just seems like it could cause a conflict of interest.

EDIT: On further research it seems it’s pretty common, particularly in law firms. Makes you wonder why Buti would call it into question as you’d think he’d be pretty familiar with it.

Last edited:

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
I am happy with current arrangements at West Coast as well, it has been a model of success. Why would you want joe blow, who knows nothing about running a footy club let alone a business that turns over $88 million in a year, having a say in who runs it? Stupidity.

In saying that I was friends with a WAFL head coach who told me about 15 years ago that he would not cross TN or his career in WA footy would be over. His opinion was that Trevor was the most powerful person in WA footy, so Godfather may not be too much of a stretch.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

I would want the CEO on the board so that meetings have direct operational input. It would only be a conflict if the CEO (and the organisation they led) had a different aim to the Board. We woud assume that the board sets the aim and others are judged on how the achieve it.

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Screenshot_20200921-092844~2.png

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Last night I was listening to sportsday on 6pr and Darling came on for an interview. It was probably the first time I’ve ever heard Jack do a full interview. Was a breath of fresh air, seems a top bloke with a lot of care for his teammates.

it was good to hear him speak about his role in the team and what he needs to be doing.

Goldfish

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Last night I was listening to sportsday on 6pr and Darling came on for an interview. It was probably the first time I’ve ever heard Jack do a full interview. Was a breath of fresh air, seems a top bloke with a lot of care for his teammates.

it was good to hear him speak about his role in the team and what he needs to be doing.
Nice. For those interested I found the link:

Back