mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
I think some people on here are underestimating how busy some of these blokes are. If you're a talking head like David King or Nick Dal Santo, fair enough you should be watching the vast majority of games. But someone like Ralph would be reporting on much more than just gameday and as such would be researching, writing and following up leads during the week moreso than watching five-day-old matches between 15th & 16th on the ladder...
Didn't know you read the Freo board Ralphy.

It's actually not hard at all to watch the break free replays the day after. You can get through a game per hour, hardly asking much when it's part of your job.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
A couple of years ago Kevin Bartlett on SEN said he actively avoided watching Freo whenever possible. He was an AA selector at the time (no idea if he still is). That’s how professional this competition is.
That's the other end of the spectrum. KB should have been kicked from the committee as soon as those comments came out.

Shaymuhz

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
1060 West Addison
AFL Club
Fremantle
Didn't know you read the Freo board Ralphy.

It's actually not hard at all to watch the break free replays the day after. You can get through a game per hour, hardly asking much when it's part of your job.

Let's say he watches four games over the weekend, in between writing articles, doing radio spots and other presenting duties. That means he has another five to go on the Monday, which would (very generously) take at least eight hours, or in other words, a full work day. I'm pretty sure his boss would be pissed if that was how he spent his Mondays, which leaves him doing it... when? That night? Instead of seeing his wife and kids after being away all weekend? It's unrealistic and an inefficient use of time.

I feel like some people on here are so precious about the media that it shows a lack of understanding about how it works, what the job requirements are, and where a poorly performing (until recently) second team in a small market city sits in the overall pecking order of the national media landscape.

I feel like some people on here are so precious about the media that it shows a lack of understanding about how it works, what the job requirements are, and where a poorly performing (until recently) second team in a small market city sits in the overall pecking order of the national media landscape.

We aren't precious about the media. What shits us is when the VFL media ignore the interstate clubs time and again and then show they know next to * all about us when we are spoken about. It is not hard to watch one of our games every now and again to at least come across that you have some kind of idea what you are talking about.

Shaymuhz

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
1060 West Addison
AFL Club
Fremantle
We aren't precious about the media. What shits us is when the VFL media ignore the interstate clubs time and again and then show they know next to fu** all about us when we are spoken about. It is not hard to watch one of our games every now and again to at least come across that you have some kind of idea what you are talking about.

Can't argue with that. But I think tarring everyone with the same brush is disrespectful to the likes of Dunstall and Healy, while expecting print journos working for Melbourne-based media publications to dedicate as much time on Freo as they do the Pies or Richmond doesn't make sense.

I agree they should watch every team 'every now and again', especially if they're going to be on nationally-broadcast programs, but I was more pointing out watching every game, every week would not be possible.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kind of like the Premier League does on Optus, you can watch a game in like half an hour instead of having to watch the full few hours with the breaks and everything.
Not sure which provider I saw it on, but I'm pretty sure someone offers an option of watching the game at 1.25x or 1.50x speed.

edit: AFL Live Pass is definitely one that allows you to adjust the speed you watch it at...Kayo too (and you can even see time markers for goals etc)

Last edited:

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
No, it's one element of his job. Ralph primarily isn't paid to provide detailed gameday analysis. He's paid to break news and report on every aspect of the AFL (particularly with a Victorian focus, as it's a Victorian paper). Not saying he isn't a flog, just that it's not realistic to expert him to watch 600+ hours of footy on top of all his other work duties
it's not 600+ its roughly 12 hours.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
A guy like Ralph is a Melbourne-based journo writing for a Melbourne based paper. I'm sure he watches every Essendon, Collingwood, and Richmond game because that is a core part of his beat. He is "expert" mostly in what is going on in the inner-Melbourne clubland because that is what is readers care about. He is no an expert on happening on the field. When you see him on a FoxFooty show, he is generally giving some kind of off-field goss on what just happened or being the "straight" man to the real analysts like King or Dunstall.

A guy like Ralph is a Melbourne-based journo writing for a Melbourne based paper. I'm sure he watches every Essendon, Collingwood, and Richmond game because that is a core part of his beat. He is "expert" mostly in what is going on in the inner-Melbourne clubland because that is what is readers care about. He is no an expert on happening on the field. When you see him on a FoxFooty show, he is generally giving some kind of off-field goss on what just happened or being the "straight" man to the real analysts like King or Dunstall.

I still feel like the key problem with AFL journalism is the blurred lines of distinction between a state market and a national one and the entry level requirements/KPI's one has to perform at for those jobs.

Herald Sun/The Age: Perfectly reasonable to heavily focus to the Victorian market as they're Victorian publications. Watching 2 interstate teams is not really required to be competent. The more Senior members may require some effort of study from interstate sides for the sake of analysis.

FoxFooty/Channel 7: A national audience. There's some carryover yes but it should be standard to watch at least a condensed version of every game to be able to establish context and be able to contribute to any discussion/panel/analysis/rumour mongering to stop heavily weighted or completely 1 sided discussions.

I still feel like the key problem with AFL journalism is the blurred lines of distinction between a state market and a national one and the entry level requirements/KPI's one has to perform at for those jobs.

Herald Sun/The Age: Perfectly reasonable to heavily focus to the Victorian market as they're Victorian publications. Watching 2 interstate teams is not really required to be competent. The more Senior members may require some effort of study from interstate sides for the sake of analysis.

FoxFooty/Channel 7: A national audience. There's some carryover yes but it should be standard to watch at least a condensed version of every game to be able to establish context and be able to contribute to any discussion/panel/analysis/rumour mongering to stop heavily weighted or completely 1 sided discussions.
so much this, frankly don't really care about the coverage in the Herald Sun etc, as that's clearly for a Victorian market first, but shows that are pretending to be national that are just a continuation of the Herald Sun etc is the bigger issue.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
We aren't precious about the media. What shits us is when the VFL media ignore the interstate clubs time and again and then show they know next to fu** all about us when we are spoken about. It is not hard to watch one of our games every now and again to at least come across that you have some kind of idea what you are talking about.
Lets be honest here. You and everyone that liked your post are Freo supernerds. As much as you love Freo, you are such a fan that compared to the average member you are basically an extremist. The media makes mistakes with every team you just notice Freo because you're obsessed.

Also, our team sucks. You get bad press when you lose and good when you win and we lose more than we win. It's not rocket science.

It's not the medias job to make us feel better about our club.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Lets be honest here. You and everyone that liked your post are Freo supernerds. As much as you love Freo, you are such a fan that compared to the average member you are basically an extremist. The media makes mistakes with every team you just notice Freo because you're obsessed.

Also, our team sucks. You get bad press when you lose and good when you win and we lose more than we win. It's not rocket science.

When almost all media is coming out of Melbourne, with most journalist having strong like to Melbourne clubs of course there is going to be a conflict of interest.
The major demographic is also a Melbourne audience.

Top that off with west coast having twice the numbers in a 2 team town. We are under reported or an easy target..

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
The only media the AFL react to is Victorian. They set the agenda. The rest is just noise. Gil has a weekly radio interview on some Melbourne radio station whilst ABC Perth can’t get him on once in a year. Not right, but it “ain’t changing”.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Barlow

Attachments

• 52469C4B-70D5-4495-B93B-3DCF95EE4659.png
    52469C4B-70D5-4495-B93B-3DCF95EE4659.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 531
  • B634FE1E-00CB-4A3F-81CF-A29914ACADA8.jpeg
    B634FE1E-00CB-4A3F-81CF-A29914ACADA8.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 337

Nobody is asking the media to make us feel better about our club. All we are asking is for them to do their job. Their job is to report on and discuss the AFL and not the VFL. I wouldn't have thought that is too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back