Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couple of prospective draftees named on their teams extended benches for a possible League debut on the weekend, Bailey Chamberlain for West Adelaide and Jack Saunders for Norwood. Riley Thilthorpe not named again likely still having the groin issue?
His managers told him not to take any risks with it. He's 99% fit.

Question

Is there an absolute #1 pick standout and is both Norf and us likely to want the same player at pick 1 ?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
North need talent in many areas of the ground like we do. If they get rid of a brown then a key forward would have to be a high priority, so they would be into Macdonald and Thilthorpe. But their midfield is quite 1 dimensional too so would probably be keen on Hollands also.

North need talent in many areas of the ground like we do. If they get rid of a brown then a key forward would have to be a high priority, so they would be into Macdonald and Thilthorpe. But their midfield is quite 1 dimensional too so would probably be keen on Hollands also.
So it sounds like their is no absolute standout pick 1 and both clubs could prioritise pick 1 on a biggest needs basis ?

So it sounds like their is no absolute standout pick 1 and both clubs could prioritise pick 1 on a biggest needs basis ?

I would think both clubs would take who they thought was best talent available. Both clubs just need as many talented kids added into their squad. I think its dangerous picking for needs with a top 2 pick.

I would think both clubs would take who they thought was best talent available. Both clubs just need as many talented kids added into their squad. I think its dangerous picking for needs with a top 2 pick.
Back to my first question is there a standout pick 1 player based on talent not needs ?

and if brown goes but they pickup jcam or daniher then they would pick hollands. we can’t afford to lose pick 1 now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally you absolutely shouldn’t. But where we are now, a 25 year old is 29 by the time our next window of opportunity opens up.
Look through most premiership sides, their average age would be 27 . Book still playing well at 30 odd. What I’m saying is you need a mix, can’t have all u25 yo

According to most draft watchers, the best midfielder is Will Phillips. That’s who I think north will pick (if we don’t)
And I don’t think we would get him at pick 1. So if we get the same player at pick 2 as we would have at pick 1 anyway, what’s the difference? May as well go all out for the win and try and avoid the spoon.

And I don’t think we would get him at pick 1. So if we get the same player at pick 2 as we would have at pick 1 anyway, what’s the difference? May as well go all out for the win and try and avoid the spoon.
Yeah... but then we lose the ability to be able to say to another club, we may be trying to negotiate a trade with, “look, we are trying to trade in good faith with you here but you are not being reasonable so we may just have to pick up _____ in the PSD”...

What if a trade for a currently OOC Caldwell, hately, Sparrow etc etc type player goes wrong in the up and coming trade period and they are forced into the PSD?..

It would just be like this club to hand the first opportunity to North Melbourne to pick that player up... all because we had to instead prove how great we are by winning a dead rubber against the tigers... for nothing more than a “my dicks bigger than yours” exercise in futility.

Sure, I agree with most here, I couldnt give a flying fck about having pick 1 or 2 in the main draft.. we will get a bloody great prospect at either pick...

But pick 1 in the PSD could be an extremely valuable commodity this year given their are not only some decent players OOC this trade period that may not find a new home but, with potential list reductions, you just never know what half decent player might fall through the cracks and end up in the PSD..

Do we want first dibs on that player?.. or do we want to hand that nice little advantage over to Norf?..

Yeah... but then we lose the ability to be able to say to another club, we may be trying to negotiate a trade with, “look, we are trying to trade in good faith with you here but you are not being reasonable so we may just have to pick up _____ in the PSD”...

What if a trade for a currently OOC Caldwell, hately, Sparrow etc etc type player goes wrong in the up and coming trade period and they are forced into the PSD?..

It would just be like this club to hand the first opportunity to North Melbourne to pick that player up... all because we had to instead prove how great we are by winning a dead rubber against the tigers... for nothing more than a “my dicks bigger than yours” exercise in futility.

Sure, I agree with most here, I couldnt give a flying fck about having pick 1 or 2 in the main draft.. we will get a bloody great prospect at either pick...

But pick 1 in the PSD could be an extremely valuable commodity this year given their are not only some decent players OOC this trade period that may not find a new home but, with potential list reductions, you just never know what half decent player might fall through the cracks and end up in the PSD..

Do we want first dibs on that player?.. or do we want to hand that nice little advantage over to Norf?..
Pick one would also help with dealing with Sydney and Bulldogs. "make the deal sweeter and we wont bid on your academy player" has massive points ramifications in the draft.

You mean like how Gold Coast and Melbourne had first dibs on Jack Martin?

And we’re only talking Jackson Hately here. If his mind is set on Adelaide, then North would have bigger fish to fry with their opportunity. They could offer a mill to McGrath or De Goey instead.

You mean like how Gold Coast and Melbourne had first dibs on Jack Martin?

And we’re only talking Jackson Hately here. If his mind is set on Adelaide, then North would have bigger fish to fry with their opportunity. They could offer a mill to McGrath or De Goey instead.
Im think more of a Nick Stevens type situation!..

The jack martin one was slightly different because the Blues structured his contract (over a million in his first year) in such a way that no one else could really make a move for him..

North Melbourne are aparently one of the clubs, along with StKilda and us, looking at young Caldwell.. if he slips through to the PSD I’d rather we have first dibs on him. And, unlike Jack Martin, he’s not gonna have a million dollar price on his head.

You don't want to try to lose, ever.

Give more opportunities to young kids? Fine. Try players in some new roles? Sure.

But don't have the mindset of wanting to be a loser. That absolutely destroys clubs.

im thinking Phillips would be high on their list. Experts say best midfielder in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back