06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
Also, the club has never won a knockout final in week 2 of finals after having won in week 1 and that grates on me in a very irrational way. Our record is really really terrible in such situations going back over our history and it would scratch an itch of mine if we were to finally get that monkey off the back.

We've also never won a flag at the Gabba, so let 2020 be the year we end these 2 massive streaks.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't mind finishing 5th given the only chance of hosting finals is in the first week and top 2 is not an option.

Given our extensive injury toll, an easier final first up will allow some of our guys to work they way back via an easier game first up, and I also worry about match fitness going in to a Prelim when guys like Shuey, Yeo and Redden would have played just one game in many many weeks.

I'm not concerned about the prospect of arriving in the PF/GF dead on our feet from 4 finals. Shorter quarters means we should be fresh enough and less time off shouldn't be an issue.

Finishing 5th also means 3 uninterrupted weeks in Perth.

Ideal pathway for me is Melbourne/St Kilda > Port > Richmond > Brisbane/Geelong

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't mind finishing 5th given the only chance of hosting finals is in the first week and top 2 is not an option.

Given our extensive injury toll, an easier final first up will allow some of our guys to work they way back via an easier game first up, and I also worry about match fitness going in to a Prelim when guys like Shuey, Yeo and Redden would have played just one game in many many weeks.

I'm not concerned about the prospect of arriving in the PF/GF dead on our feet from 4 finals. Shorter quarters means we should be fresh enough and less time off shouldn't be an issue.

That is one of the huge benefits of finishing 5th above all, but finishing in the top 4 is still the shortest path to a flag.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Pull your head in boys. Finishing 4th is way better than 5th.

If we're any chance at this years' COVID Cup we need that 4th possie.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
One has a better chance to win the flag.
The other has the opportunity to see the family/friens/fans.
It depends on Family is more important or Flag is more important.
At the end, if the Eagles think that Family and Flag are both important, they should have won the GCS and Bulldogs games.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
One has a better chance to win the flag.
The other has the opportunity to see the family/friens/fans.
It depends on Family is more important or Flag is more important.
At the end, if the Eagles think that Family and Flag are both important, they should have won the GCS and Bulldogs games.

Every team has lost 1 or 2 games against teams below them

Port - St Kilda
Brisbane - Hawthorn
Geelong - Carlton
Richmond - Hawthorn/St Kilda

Flipside is we are 1W 3L against teams in top 5.

Richmond 3W 1L
Port Adelaide 2W 2L
Geelong 2W 2L
Brisbane 2W 2L
West Coast 1W 3L

The Brisbane and Port game are the ones that defined our season so far. Brisbane we went in to half time in front. Port we got within 10 points. Both times we folded like a cheap tent when the game was on the line.

Now if we are going to win the flag, we most likely need to do it the hard way.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Its much better to finish 4th BUT finishing 5th has never been less of a disadavantage IMO. Its a better consolation prize then normal
Totally agree here. It's particularly the case with a chunk of players coming back from injury. Having to play in week 2 (assuming we win week 1) at least means getting some of those guys some desperately needed game time instead of another week off. I seem to remember the same thing happened back in '06. Losing week 1 to the Swans turned out to be a benefit, allowing Chad Fletcher (I think?) and maybe some others to get an extra game back under their belt after a layoff.
Anyways, glass half full, silver linings, and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Either way, I don’t expect us to go deep.

Injuries have disrupted on field connections between players. And when the missing links are midfielders - a bridge too far for mine.

Hope to be surprised but.....everything is crossed for team cohesion.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Every team has lost 1 or 2 games against teams below them

Port - St Kilda
Brisbane - Hawthorn
Geelong - Carlton
Richmond - Hawthorn/St Kilda

Flipside is we are 1W 3L against teams in top 5.

Richmond 3W 1L
Port Adelaide 2W 2L
Geelong 2W 2L
Brisbane 2W 2L
West Coast 1W 3L

The Brisbane and Port game are the ones that defined our season so far. Brisbane we went in to half time in front. Port we got within 10 points. Both times we folded like a cheap tent when the game was on the line.

Now if we are going to win the flag, we most likely need to do it the hard way.
What makes one the best team is that one does not make the same mistake as the others.
There will be ONLY ONE best team in any particular year!!

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Either way, I don’t expect us to go deep.

Injuries have disrupted on field connections between players. And when the missing links are midfielders - a bridge too far for mine.

Hope to be surprised but.....everything is crossed for team cohesion.

This is the reason that finishing fifth is not the preferred option, but has SOME silver linings.

An easier final first up at home gives an opportunity for to find the connection and form before we face off against the big boys.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
I hear ya.

Having two weeks between games will allow intensive sessions aiming to have system gel. So it’s not all doom and gloom.

Still backing the boys every time they run down the race.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast

This is certainly the year to finish 5th.

I just hope the players dont come out conplacent thinking the games already won and get completely outworked like 2016.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we need to accept that we will finish fifth from here. Crows are not beating Richmond and Sydney are not beating Geelong.

We are 5th, deal with it.

I think Crows have an equal chance of beating Tigers in Adel to last year when hawks beat us at Optus last round. It is pretty much the same with Adelaide hosting which makes it even more interesting.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
This is certainly the year to finish 5th.

I just hope the players dont come out conplacent thinking the games already won and get completely outworked like 2016.

Outworked?? Who won the flag that year?? make it sound like we lost to a s**t team.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
What the fu** are you on about. They completely outworked and outplayed us.

The dogs timed their.run perfectly. History shows they are a slightly above average side.

All I am saying is we lost to the eventual premiers that year, don't make it sound like the loss was all directed at Eagles's performance.The opponent end up winning it the whole thing . Context matters.Relax, breathe and sit down when you hear something a little different to yours.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Crows have an equal chance of beating Tigers in Adel to last year when hawks beat us at Optus last round. It is pretty much the same with Adelaide hosting which makes it even more interesting.

I got on the line at +38.5, have a very large bet in place. The crows are a very proud side and are as good a chance of beating richmond as anyone imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back