News Gibbs to retire after final game against the Blues

Does Gibbs deserve a farewell game?

• Yes

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have been embarrassed if Crows players chaired him off thats the irony.

If we thought he was worthy of a farewell game is assume we thought he was worthy of a chair off.

Though yes personally I'm with you that he didn't

Reports he has taken a significant pay cut as well. Crows were happy to have him on the list next year as a development coach. As Gibbs said himself he cannot survive mentally next year. Hope he sorts himself out as his personal issues were the contributing factor why he was dropped several times last year. He had a big gambling problem but I feel his issues went deeper. Crows felt this farewell game might have been step for recovery for him. His performance was like the old Gibbs that had no weight on his shoulders.

He had a big gambling problem but I feel his issues went deeper.

I do punt and punt hard on AFL. I can tell you if you dont have the mindset, the discipline and knowledge of what it takes to bet regularly, it can destroy a persons life.

The biggest bet of my life I made was back in 2012. The odds were not much only $1.70 for a Crows game, but I learnt from that mistake without it being catastrophic.

I can easily see how some gamblers cannot stop and think that they are only a "bet away" from winning. When you have that mindset, you actually need to step away permanently before it destroys and ruins your life and those around you.

Simple summary of Bryce's last game:

2nd highest disposals - 27
1 tackle
1 clearance
549 metres gained (3rd highest in game)
79% game time
7 rebound 50s
6 contested possessions

These stats are worthy of Gibba being given the farewell game. Kudos to the AFC and CFC for the way this game was handled both on and off the field.

I think he'll play a blinder...then there will be talk from Kane about why we didn't play him earlier in the season and that he should go on next year.
Lol, I just heard it on SEN!

Yes, Kane is saying we should have him on the list next year!

Last edited:
Lol, I just heard it on SEN!

Yes, Kane is saying we should have him on the list next year!

He played well, but 6 touches were kick outs, plus the late gift from Sloane. They'd asked around and nobody was particularly interested, but I wonder if his manager might get some follow ups with a bit more interest after a decent game.

Haven't read the whole thread and have no intention to either, after skim reading many pages. Bryce Gibbs has a serious addiction illness (assuming he still has it) which destroys families and lives. In giving him a farewell game, we ensured he left with some dignity on his part and some class on ours (and Carlton's) - and that was absolutely the way to go. And really happy the way Carlton contributed to his last AFL moments - good on you boys.

Gambling having clearly contributed to his AFL career demise it was really important to be kind to this bloke first (and by extension to his family and friends), with his career at the Crows coming a distant third behind his career at Carlton second - and that's just the way it worked out. If he had stayed at Carlton the outcome would highly likely have been the same. So sadly for Bryce, IMO it was always going to end like this regardless of where he finished his career.

Hopefully he now takes the time to sort his issues once and for all to limit the damage to him, his family and friends. And we've contributed to that by making sure we aren't the source of significant ongoing gambling cash-flow. (I'd be surprised if some-one else is not managing his contract payout for him).

Staggered that no-one on here appears to see the main game - his health and family first, daylight, then AFL. (And yes, sadly I too have been in family decimated by gambling).

Good luck Bryce, thanks for coming home and hope to see you around the AFL world in the future fit and well.

Last edited:
I do punt and punt hard on AFL. I can tell you if you dont have the mindset, the discipline and knowledge of what it takes to bet regularly, it can destroy a persons life.

The biggest bet of my life I made was back in 2012. The odds were not much only $1.70 for a Crows game, but I learnt from that mistake without it being catastrophic.

I can easily see how some gamblers cannot stop and think that they are only a "bet away" from winning. When you have that mindset, you actually need to step away permanently before it destroys and ruins your life and those around you.

Well said.

Haven't read the whole thread and have no intention to either, after skim reading many pages. Bryce Gibbs has a serious addiction illness (assuming he still has it) which destroys families and lives. In giving him a farewell game, we ensured he left with some dignity on his part and some class on ours (and Carlton's) - and that was absolutely the way to go. And really happy the way Carlton contributed to his last AFL moments - good on you boys.

Gambling having clearly contributed to his AFL career demise it was really important to be kind to this bloke first (and by extension to his family and friends), with his career at the Crows coming a distant third behind his career at Carlton second - and that's just the way it worked out. If he had stayed at Carlton the outcome would highly likely have been the same. So sadly for Bryce, IMO it was always going to end like this regardless of where he finished his career.

Hopefully he now takes the time to sort his issues once and for all to limit the damage to him, his family and friends. And we've contributed to that by making sure we aren't the source of significant ongoing gambling cash-flow. (I'd be surprised if some-one else is not managing his contract payout for him).

Staggered that no-one on here appears to see the main game - his health and family first, daylight, then AFL. (And yes, sadly I too have been in family decimated by gambling).

Good luck Bryce, thanks for coming home and hope to see you around the AFL world in the future fit and well.

yeah nah, he can go and get ****ed.

You don't let someone basically steal a million dollars from you and then wish them well.

Did he take it from your pocket?

In this case it is obviously from the club. So no not me personally.

But for some reason I'm fond of the club and don't really appreciate when it gets abused by selfish twats either.

yeah nah, he can go and get f’ed.

You don't let someone basically steal a million dollars from you and then wish them well.

Yeah, nah... we agreed to the trade so how you can possibly think he stole his salary is completely beyond me... kindness first followed closely by class... always. Obviously not something you're very familiar with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played well, but 6 touches were kick outs, plus the late gift from Sloane. They'd asked around and nobody was particularly interested, but I wonder if his manager might get some follow ups with a bit more interest after a decent game.
We handballed it to him at every opportunity during Q1 as well. That dried up during Q2. Not sure if the coaches had a quarter time WTF moment about that, or Carlton decided to turn up and play football at that point.

In the wash up, the forced retirement of Gibbs was handled well. He got some cheap ball to have a good final game and it was celebrated with a win. A good story all round.

Now let's pretend he never played for our club. We all know he will.

#Bagger4lyf

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Here we go..the AFL media narrative instead of focusing on Gibbs mental health issues as the reason that things might not have worked out and that each time he was picked he failed to deliver..just go hard at the crows and bash them...again

If you completely ignore pretty much every game he played after 2018 then yes, it's definitely all the Crows fault he ended up retiring early.

What are you on about this time? Calm down and discuss the topic instead of hurling abuse.2
lol. This is not your board to tell a Crows poster to stay on topic or not.

Youre just still salty that Carlton lost. I love it. Awesome. No finals again. Must be pathetic that your Club cant play when the Saints are about to play a finals series.

Back