Adelaide's decline

either of you actually want the spoon?

Do you really want to be reminded from Port fans in which SA team got the Spoon 1st?
They’ve already won 3

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Pick 1 when used wisely can go some way towards turning around your club Riewoldt, Hodge, though I will acknowledge it is not the be all and end all. We will have a strong hand after this draft has finished. I notice you have not included a compo pick for Brad Crouch, who I believe is gone. Also, if the rumours about Rory Atkins going to GCS on a 5 year deal are true, that would possibly give us another band 2 compo pick.
Depends if you see Riley Tilthorpe from west Adelaide as a once in a generation talent.

The Brad Crouch Compo pick will be interesting as 2-4 Victorian clubs are looking at him from what I heard. I dont think you will get a band 1 compo pick like a pick 5 unless Carlton offer him a 5 year deal at $700,000 a year.

Pick 19 I think is the best case Scenario. But this is the AFL. Collingwood gave Chris Mayne a 4 year deal at $500,000 a year and Freo got pick 23 as compo.

Another scenario was Colin Sylvia. For some strange reason, Freo offered him a 3 year deal at $450,000 a year and Demons were given pick 28 as compo. that pick 28 was traded to your team for Bernie Vince. Ironically, the crows used that pick 28 to get Matt Crouch, Brads younger brother.

Agree with points 2 and 3, you don't exclusively pick local talent, but in the last 3-4 drafts we have picked kids from interstate when there have been better local options, ie 2016 with pick 15 we picked Jordan Galluci ahead of Will Hayward, who is a local. We could have also picked other Non-South Australian talent in Jarrod Berry, Sam Powell-Pepper and Tim English. Later in that draft we picked Myles Poholke and Elliot Himmelberg ahead of Willie Rioli and Jack Graham. Though Himmelberg is starting to develop nicely.
Yeah well freo did a massive trade back in 2016 and traded pick 3 to GWS. Freo got in return: Cam McCarthy, Pick 8 in Griffen Logue, Pick 32 in Sean Darcy and Pick 72 in Luke Ryan. A very good trade for the dockers. Happy to trade pick 3 for 3-4 solid players.

On you 4th point, which 2 South Adelaide players are you talking about?
I will mention the 2 South Adelaide Blokes...

Zac Dumesny has been mentioned. A 188 cm 80 kg midfielder/half back. Was playing for the South senoirs for the 1st 6 games then was dropped and played for the Ressies. He is a decent kick.

The other bloke on that list is Brayden Cook who is a 188cm, 74 kg winger/Half forward flanker. He was unknown about 4-6 weeks ago and is a draft bolter. Grown 7 cm in the last 12 months too. He has gone from an outside mid to a half back flanker or Half forward flanker as a 3rd tall with decent marking and good positioning. I have seen him play, I reckon he is very likely to be picked up.

On your final point, 1 of those 3 WWT guys is Lachie Jones, who is a Port Academy selection, and the other 2 are Jase Burgoyne, son of Peter, and Taj Schofield, son of Jarrad. 1 of the 2 at NA is Tariek Newchurch who is a Crows Academy selection. Also there is James Borlase at Sturt, who is also a Crows Academy selection. I imagine Kaine Baldwin would be one of the ones at Glenelg, along with Riley Thilthorpe at WA as previously mentioned.

the 3 WWT guys I am looking at are Lachie Jones as you said is a Port Academy selection. Taj Schofield, Jarrad Schofields son who is a short 177 mid/forward. This 3rd WWT bloke who is done ok recently who I think will get picked up is James Rowe who is a 20 year old 173 cm and 73kg forward pocket. I hear Tyson Edwards son, Luke Edwards is looked at.

the 2 Glenelg guys I have seen is Kaine Baldwin. one of the chaps on the dockers board will be upset if Freo uses a 1st rounder on him. As talented as he is, he did his knee in April this year. The other Glenelg stand out I heard is Luke Pedlar who is a 182cm and 82 kg forward/mid.

the Only Standout North Adelaide player on that Sunday Mail list was Tariek Newchuch who is 185 cm and 72 kg thats a Forward/mid that has models his game similar to charlie cameron.

Seems there are some very talented SANFL teenagers in this draft

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the opportunity is “right in front of me” for the Crows to take the late season momentum and really fast track our rebuild. Some clear steps:
  • Do whatever it takes to get pick #2 for Crouch (assuming we’re don’t have a brain fart and finish 17th)
  • Stock up at the draft with picks 1, 2 & ~8 (from GWS) to give us genuine high end talent plus other ancillary picks (inc. Atkins compo)
  • Back in our youth and never ever play Walker, Lynch, Mackay and Hartigan (or Talia assuming you only keep one of them) in front of Fogarty, McAdam, Hamill and McAsey again.
  • Build a game plan and personnel that emphasises pace, toughness and flair which can be a point of difference in this league

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think the opportunity is “right in front of me” for the Crows to take the late season momentum and really fast track our rebuild. Some clear steps:
  • Do whatever it takes to get pick #2 for Crouch (assuming we’re don’t have a brain fart and finish 17th)
  • Stock up at the draft with picks 1, 2 & ~8 (from GWS) to give us genuine high end talent plus other ancillary picks (inc. Atkins compo)
  • Back in our youth and never ever play Walker, Lynch, Mackay and Hartigan (or Talia assuming you only keep one of them) in front of Fogarty, McAdam, Hamill and McAsey again.
  • Build a game plan and personnel that emphasises pace, toughness and flair which can be a point of difference in this league

LOL Walker and Mackay back in for the Crows tomorrow?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
this makes no sense. you think freo hoped he would stay for one more year but then were happy to let him walk to brisbane. then you state you needed more tall forwards but go out of your way to mention hogan wasn't the only one you got, given you got Lobb.

surely your biggest issue is your midfield. Mundy is old now, probably his last season. Brayshaw is good but will need time. Cerra is on the HBF and might not convert into the winger people thought he would be. So now you have conca running through there.

surely the answer was to keep Neale at all cost. he's an all australian midfielder. they don't grow on trees and they're rare.

Neale is more valuable to Freo than Hogan or Lobb or anyone else.
Your post makes no sense being that this is a crows thread.

Again, we traded Lachie Neale and made the best of a bad situation.

Essentially traded Neale for Hogan. Hogan did well vs North recently kicking 4 goals.

As for the crows, they went 0-13, win 3 games in a row and are fighting the tigers

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hopefully not.

My team changes has Walker, Mrouch, Smith, Brown, Laird, Murphy & the injured Atkins as outs. Too many senior players need dropping.

Bring in the younger guys as they can't be worse & may as well get games into them.
Gong to be a very interesting off season for your mob.

Your team has picks 1, 10 (GWS 1st rounder), 20 and 29 (Demons 2nd rounder I think). 40 and 49.

Brad Crouch and Rory Atkins being free agents too.

Not a fan of culling lists of getting rid of 7-8 players in the main squad every season for 3-4 years.

I say 5-6 is moderate enough as over 3 years, thats 15-18 young kids brought in.

I have posted this before and will post this opinion again..... Had the crows played like they did vs the Hawks, giants and Blues wins in rounds 1-10, they would of got another 2-4 wins.

You guys lost to the swans in round 1 by under a goal. that round 5 game vs freo could of gone either way as Freo lead 5.3.33 to 4.8.32 at 3 quarter time. Lost to the saints by 23 in round 7.

But the crows were down by 17 points at 3 quarter time vs the saints but had a lot of inside 50s in the final quarter but couldnt convert it into goals. Then the next week in round 8, lost to essendon by under a goal. The crows kicked 1.6.12 in the 4th quarter.

So my thoughts was, had you beaten the saints in round 7, I reckon you would of been more confident and somehow played 10-15 percent better vs essendon and beat them by 2-4 goals.

To be honest, the crows can not be this bad for the 2nd season in a row. I dont think the crows will go 0-10 in 2021.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
changing the venue to Adelaide Oval was like a bit of charity from the AFL to allow them to get more than 15,000 spectators
They consider themselves to be one club. Therefore you take the good with the bad where there history is concerned.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hopefully a farewell match. 🙂
Interesting Position your team is in....

As it stands, the crows have picks 1, 10 (GWS 1st rounder), 20, 29 (Demons 2nd rounder I think), 44, 49 and 60.

So.... at least its better than the normal 1st pick of each round of 1, 19, 37, 55 and 73.

Crows will be active in the free agency, trade period and the draft it self

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
So now Adelaide have won a spoon.

See how they bounce back from this.

When we "won" the spoon in 2010 we rebounded and made a Prelim in 2011 so anything is possible.

Started showing some ok signs late.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't see that we'll bounce back that hard as we've still got some issues with spots seemingly taken up by our aging guys like Walker & Sloane whose form doesn't really warrant holding out other guys any longer. Hard to see the club having the balls to stick them both in the 2's so until we get fresh bodies in couldn't see us bouncing too high up as you can't really carry too many people against decent sides.

End of the year was still positive with the emergence of a few youngsters & some of the more experienced players getting their form back & in sync with the game plan.

Very interested to see what cuts we make and then who we draft. Not to mention coaching changes etc. There's going to be a lot of people in the AFL world available so there could easily be a few hidden gems lurking in all sorts of areas.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Has Reilly O.Brien ever had a first half like he did yesterday. Was awesome against a good ruckman in Nankervis who is a difficult customer around the ground, especially in marking contests. Haven't seen to many better halves of footy by a ruckman than that all year. Give me a ruckman who can take contested marks around the ground than a good tap ruck any day.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
You are a dickhead. Trying to deflect from the sh*t soulless organisation that you follow. Run off spooner.

Lol - why don't you play the ball? Nothing I wrote was incorrect - maybe keep the pejoratives to the bay, they are unbecoming

Dont choke in the finals - nothing like a Hinkley special

Back