List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I felt like this was true til I saw how the AFL is shaping up to overcompensate them for Atkins.

I can see them giving them an end of 1st/start of 2nd for Atkins + pick 2 for Crouch.
The Crows are going to go into this draft with 2 top 10 picks to start with. The AFL isn't going to be looking at giving them a leg up with picks through compensation. Atkins will probably rank a band 3 compensation based on Ellis's and CEY contract, which is identical to Band 2 for the Crows.

They're still trying to give Gold Coast a leg up, and having the Crows grabbing so many of the non-NGA kids out hampers that.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who remembers when the AFL themselves suggested for Essendon to void Ryder's contract to get a first round compo pick and Port to trade their first so that Essendon could get two first round picks.

Then other AFL clubs started bitching and it didn't happen.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I don't believe they actually get to keep him. It's like when Dangerfield left, you then have to trade with the club of choice
My point is that if they know they wont get pick 2 as compo and Crouch is keen to come to Port, they will offer the same money and just keep him. I think he would probably also be keen to stay.

Although compo decision is after the fact, clubs know what they are going to get.

Mundusa

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Trade or they stay. Crouch has said he would like to stay so it is in the crows court now to offer him a decent deal.
I haven't visited the crows board so I'll ask here.
What do the supporters honestly think of a player like Brad potentially leaving? Surely he's right up there with being the most required player at AFC

What do the supporters honestly think of a player like Brad potentially leaving? Surely he's right up there with being the most required player at AFC

I'm sure Patrick Dangerfield was a required players once too.

They wanted him long gone!

Then he came back and they have won every game since.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They wanted him long gone!

Then he came back and they have won every game since.

Nah the majority of their board definitely want him out if it results in pick 2.

They're hypocrites. In the event he stays because it won't net them pick 2, they're going to go on a parade how they're all about loyalty and never wanted him gone.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah the majority of their board definitely want him out if it results in pick 2.

They're hypocrites. In the event he stays because it won't net them pick 2, they're going to go on a parade how they're all about loyalty and never wanted him gone.

They really are kicking goals in mending their retention and culture issues.

'Many believe he will leave the Crows if a strong suitor emerges – "One always does," a list manager said – with the view that if he did depart Adelaide, he would attract a deal worth $600-700,000 a season. One club placed his value at approximately $500-550,000 a season, citing his lost zip after missing all of 2018 with groin troubles.

A player agent said if he was managing Crouch he would start his asking price at $750,000 knowing it would likely end up closer to $600,000, adding that the length of the contract was important.

"He's 26, so I would be asking for a five-year deal," he said.'

From what I have heard this isn't that far away from the truth. Apparently there is a stand off between years and dollars at the moment. My preference would be front loaded 4 yr deal (not too dissimilar to Rockliff) to average at the $600-625k mark.
Given the broadcasters have given the AFL approx a 15% or so haircut on TV rights for 2020-22 years, (Telstra didn't cut their $50m/year), and many other revenue streams are still uncertain you would have to discount any "old salary figures" down by 20% maybe more.

So when you hear $600k interpret that as he will be offered closer to $500k. Will Ken Woods formula for compensation have a covid adjustment factor??

JakeNeadeFan

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given the broadcasters have given the AFL approx a 15% or so haircut on TV rights for 2020-22 years, (Telstra didn't cut their $50m/year), and many other revenue streams are still uncertain you would have to discount any "old salary figures" down by 20% maybe more.

So when you hear $600k interpret that as he will be offered closer to $500k. Will Ken Woods formula for compensation have a covid adjustment factor??
Ken Wood has been layed off.

August.

So doginess maybe back in vogue. Good i've talked about doing partnerships with Uni's and private companies re dodging the soft cap - ie footy department expenditure - where Port doesn't spend any money to own assets by the partnership but uses the assets for a peppercorn rent. Maybe get Woods on as a consultant to confirm the form over substance structure.

Back