Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues Round 18 Saturday 7.40pm - The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't the worst conditions. It allowed us to play Oscar as a marking target which was invaluable. It's a myth that talls shouldn't play in the wet. It's the smaller players who rely on speed and skill which struggle in the wet.
Yes I have seen a game in torrential rain and the only guy that was marking was the tall power forward.
He didnt have to jump in slippery conditions , just stand there and mark , and then of course goal.
I give you exhibit A 2012 Bris v Geelong
Hawkins was seriously the only guy marking and goaling , he had 6 goals that day.
Ever since then I have a laugh at people saying talls are less useful in the wet as the smalls can move quickly.
I think if it's just slippery with light rain or dewy deck, then that is a different story.

Archie more so there are just two or three on here who have it in for McStay.

I doubt I am one you would count as having it in for McStay but I, like many I think, would feel that on any objective measure he has underperformed this season. A couple of times early in the season I suggested he should be dropped which based on form I thought was very fair.

I doubt I am one you would count as having it in for McStay but I, like many I think, would feel that on any objective measure he has underperformed this season. A couple of times early in the season I suggested he should be dropped which based on form I thought was very fair.

Surely regardless of form, you only get dropped if there’s someone who can perform your role better. And there doesn’t seem to be anyone else on our list who can consistently perform that role any better

Surely regardless of form, you only get dropped if there’s someone who can perform your role better. And there doesn’t seem to be anyone else on our list who can consistently perform that role any better

We saw what it looked like without McStay. There's a reason both those players were back to the reserves immediately and then Matt Eagles of all people was brought in to backup ruck.

We saw what it looked like without McStay. There's a reason both those players were back to the reserves immediately and then Matt Eagles of all people was brought in to backup ruck.

Just remembered another thing from the roar deal Lyons interview - he said that it's a players defensive effort that's been getting them games this year, not matter what position they play.

We often don't see defensive efforts as, even at games, we get sucked into following the ball and we miss the work that's done to clear spaces, block players and run patterns to drag opposition players away from the contest. The stuff that lachie does when he's getting tagged.

So based on that, if we watch closely we will probably see McStay is doing a lot of off the ball defensive stuff while witherden isn't.

He also praised Mitch - said he isn't getting the numbers but he is influencing games with his defensive work.

So no Berry this week. Starc and Linc in for CEY and Hinge? I would personally keep Hinge and drop Birchall but don't see it happening. Maybe Stef for Archie is a possibility.

I would go with this:

B: Payne, Gardiner, Birchall
HB: Rich, Starcevich, Lester
C: Robbo, Zorko, McCluggage
HF: Bailey, McStay, Rayner
F: Coleman, Hipwood, Cameron
Foll: Lyons, O’Mac, Neale
Int: Answerth, (Martin/Smith), McCarthy, AhChee

Be interesting to see what call will be made in relation to Stef.
I would probably give him a game in the ressies after such a long layoff.

I think there will be some meltdowns in 2 hours time over Coleman. CEY will almost certainly retain his spot with Berry out of the side.

So it'll be Starcevich, Martin and McCarthy for Smith, Hinge and Coleman.

Coleman and Ah Chee are fighting for the same spot. I think the coaching staff will pick Ah Chee for his experience and versatility (ie if Birchall/Rich do a hammy, he can go back) . It would be extremely stiff on Coleman, but I reckon it's how we'll go for this week and finals.

Given the number of games McStay has had this year I am not sure that we would not be getting as much out of Ballenden and Skinner as we are getting out of McStay but we are where we are and that is that he plays and the others don't. You know he is going to get to the contests and provide a physical contest and the others did not. He will have games where he marks them but even when he doesn't he brings our smalls into the game and they are used to working off him. Those are the reasons I have not called for him to be dropped lately. I am in no way however giving him a pass on the year though and think he should be giving us more to justify his spot.

Surely Coleman retains his spot. He's been fantastic since debut. I get that there's limited spots available especially coming into finals but his poise, pressure and classy disposal is exactly what is needed. We'll see in a few hours I guess!

Surely Coleman retains his spot. He's been fantastic since debut. I get that there's limited spots available especially coming into finals but his poise, pressure and classy disposal is exactly what is needed. We'll see in a few hours I guess!

I agree.

But again, I have no doubt the melts will be aimed at Ah Chee if Coleman does get dropped.

Which I agree with, Coleman has shown so much more in 3 games than Ah Chee has done all season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Coleman is a lock for me but won't be too bothered if he's dropped to make way for McCarthy etc. Disappointed though he's such an exciting player

Probably only thing keeping him in despite his performances would be for structural reasons...Which coaching wise I can understand them wanting that sort of stability.

I agree.

But again, I have no doubt the melts will be aimed at Ah Chee if Coleman does get dropped.

Which I agree with, Coleman has shown so much more in 3 games than Ah Chee has done all season.

Comments like this frustrate me. Firstly, they have played different roles. Ah Chee has played all bar three games down back. When down back, he's mainly played as a high half forward outside of his first week there where he played as a deep forward (and kicked two).

Ah Chee averages as many score involvements a game as Coleman has done despite the fact he's playing primarily in defence over that stretch of games.

I rate Coleman and think he's an exciting prospect. Further to that, I hope he stays in our best 22 although would apprehensively be my first out up forward. Long term who knows, but in the here and now that's the reality.

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT

HB: Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Jack Payne
B: Zac Bailey, Ryan Lester, Grant Birchall
C: Hugh McCluggage, Mitch Robinson, Callum Ah Chee
HF: Dayne Zorko, Dan McStay, Cam Rayner
F: Oscar McInerney, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron
Foll: Stefan Martin, Jarrod Lyons, Lachie Neale
I/C: Lincoln McCarthy, Keidean Coleman, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Brandon Starcevich
Emg: Sam Skinner, Mitch Hinge, Alex Witherden, Rhys Mathieson

IN: Stefan Martin, Brandon Starcevich, Lincoln McCarthy
OUT: Mitch Hinge (omitted), Archie Smith (omitted), Noah Answerth (managed)

Exciting to see Stef back. Big O has really gone up a level in his absence so seeing them back together should be interesting. Obviously pleasing to see Coleman rightfully retain his spot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back