List Mgmt. 2020 List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlikely for most of them. They gave them a crack throughout the year and they don't strike me as people to write others off without giving them a chance. I'd actually be disappointed if these decisions were made a long time ago without giving blokes the season to try to get on board with the new coach.

You don't sack eleven blokes on Friday after starting the decision process at 10.30 pm on Thursday. I think we can take it from team selection that there's a few they wanted to give a final opportunity to but I think Brady would have had a draft of this lift since round 10 at least.

You don't sack eleven blokes on Friday after starting the decision process at 10.30 pm on Thursday. I think we can take it from team selection that there's a few they wanted to give a final opportunity to but I think Brady would have had a draft of this lift since round 10 at least.

Esp. with blokes like Wood.

Of course I didn't mean that they started the decision making process last night. Stop being ridiculous.

I was responding to a comment which seemed to imply that the papers were stamped for many a long time ago and was suggesting that I'd be disappointed if these decisions were made a long time ago rather than towards the tail end of the season. A draft of the list changes is the type of thing I was talking about, as opposed to decisions already being made at that point.

If it wasn't what was meant by their comment, fine, but hyperbolising my comment is just silly mate.

Last edited:
I like that we didn't hang on to any and try to trade them ala MacMillan, Daw, Wood and then delist them at a later list lodgement.

Clubs give token picks these days, this will enable them enough time for their managers to put the feelers out and let them walk to any club interested as a DFA.

We did the right thing in that regard.

It's certainly a positive sign that we're being swift, decisive and proactive in making changes to the list. And given how disastrous a season it was for us, I don't mind the fact we're making some bold calls on a few who could've comfortably been recontracted (though, exactly how bold the calls are depends upon the extent to which list sizes are shortened).

All the same, warranted or not, it's a shame to have seen the last of some long-serving and/or talented North players. Particularly unusual call to cut all three of Macmillan, Pittard and Williams, which presumably lends some credence to the rumours around who we might be looking to acquire... cuts are really just the beginning, the real task is who we get to fill the vacancies. Best of luck to the departing eleven.
I know its early days for them both, but maybe Brady and Rhyce think Perez and Hayden will step up in those defensive roles. Or, if we do score Zac Williams and play him in the backline, that the two would be competing for one spot, thus can cut some of the guys who they think won't be taking us forward.

Brady would have sat down with a red pen in hand the moment he decided to take the job.

The bloke's a very smart operator and I'm confident he will be just as meticulous with this list preparation as he was when he was a player.

Which was outstanding.

I've never been more confident in us as a footballing entity going forward as I am now.

Pagan's talk to young players is something that immediately popped up in my head after reading about today's cull of 11 players. Some of which were stiff.

About 1.45 in, he says something really important about AFL...

"AFL will just pick you up, chew you up, and spit you out and not even think a thing about it."

It's such an important point because it's the reality of AFL footy. Players often forget that if clubs have to make a tough decision for a rebuild at a premiership, they will.

That's why Pagan talks about effort being more important than ability. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't show up on game day then that upside becomes a waste. Blokes like Jmac are the perfect example to Pagan's point about honest 6-7/10 players playing 150-200 games. They always put in the effort week in, week out and they are respected for it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kayne has always been around the mark. I feel we've been just warming up on Froggy this year.

FWIW, I believe Shaun Atley will firm in markets as the season draws closer.

They'll shoehorn someone.

They always do.

Of course I didn't mean that they started the decision making process last night. Stop being ridiculous.

I was responding to a comment which seemed to imply that the papers were stamped for many a long time ago and was suggesting that I'd be disappointed if these decisions were made a long time ago rather than towards the tail end of the season. A draft of the list changes is the type of thing I was talking about, as opposed to decisions already being made at that point.

If it wasn't what was meant by their comment, fine, but hyperbolising my comment is just silly mate.

Fair enough. What does appear true is that, with the possible exception of Garner, no one seems to have played their way off the draft list.

To all 11 players, thank you for your service to the North Melbourne Football Club. I think I can speak for pretty much everyone on here when I say that we hope you all find careers soon, even if it’s other AFL lists. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least one of these blokes got picked up by us again and added to the rookie list (I reckon one or two blokes deserve a second chance). This is a pretty big start to our off-season. Hopefully more ‘BIG’ decisions are down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back