Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

My Son was trying to get casual work, and just turned down a job they found for him.

Amazon , working 6.00 to 9.00
6:00AM to 9:00 PM :O

Pretty sure a doctor would recommend 8 hours sleep for a guy his age.
So after commuting time, no time for breakfast and dinner i guess. Unless its muesli bars and frozen food packs at work. ( if amazon have the facilities for them ).

Reports suggest that picking at Amazon is "full on " so i guess they employ desperate people as casuals and run them until they burn out.

RWNJ: "I can do any job if I had to, so why can't other people?"

Consultant: "Ok, here's a job where they want you to work from 6am to 9pm."

RWNJ: "Yeah OK, I'm not doing that job."

(No, I'm not implying that your son is a RWNJ.)

Last edited:
This is why I never order from them (besides the fact bricks and mortar stores are often the same price, if not cheaper than Amazon anyway).

Yeah, you can get the same items cheaper from Amazon overseas, but when they localised it they blocked that.
And i've stopped looking at Amazon, because i invariably find the same things cheaper elsewhere.

RWNJ: "I can do any job if I had to, so why can't other people?"

Consultant: "Ok, here's a job where they want you to work from 6am to 9pm."

RWNJ: "Yeah OK, I'm not doing that job."

(No, I'm not implying that your son is a RWNJ.)

My son is kind of the insecure type, and he was pretty keen to work in a warehouse picking orders, he's done it before i a place that did stationary/book packs for Schools. He likes it better than hospitality work.
He was gobsmacked when they told him the hours.

Of course if it came down to survival he could do it. Just like a ten year old could work in a coal mine.

Amazon should know about this....
So , like i mentioned, they are probably pushing hard, and just churning through employees.

Yeah, you can get the same items cheaper from Amazon overseas, but when they localised it they blocked that.
And i've stopped looking at Amazon, because i invariably find the same things cheaper elsewhere.

My son is kind of the insecure type, and he was pretty keen to work in a warehouse picking orders, he's done it before i a place that did stationary/book packs for Schools. He likes it better than hospitality work.

Of course if it came down to survival he could do it. Just like a ten year old could work in a coal mine.

So , like i mentioned, they are probably pushing hard, and just churning through employees.
Yeah there have been many horror stories online about Amazon. Timed toilet breaks, constantly increasing targets.

Oh no question, but that's not a situation that the sorts of people who spew that sort of s**t would ever face.

They're utterly incapable of understanding anything that they haven't dealt with personally, and even if they have dealt with this stuff personally they still cling to their beliefs most of the time.

My Son was trying to get casual work, and just turned down a job they found for him.

Amazon , working 6.00 to 9.00
6:00AM to 9:00 PM :O

Pretty sure a doctor would recommend 8 hours sleep for a guy his age.
So after commuting time, no time for breakfast and dinner i guess. Unless its muesli bars and frozen food packs at work. ( if amazon have the facilities for them ).

Reports suggest that picking at Amazon is "full on " so i guess they employ desperate people as casuals and run them until they burn out.
Burn out or slip discs or dislocate a shoulder or something

Ridiculous

I've seen guys do 3 x 12 hour days one week, then 4 x 12 hour days the next, or have set contracts to 3x12 or 4x12, normally they'll be at work for 13 hours a day, but they don't mind the trade off of extra days off.

But 15 hour days stink. I used to be a chef and they can be nasty

Amazon has a reputation for being run by a pack of campaigners.
Yep, I believe there are no shortage of horror stories about employee welfare.

Better off getting off the lazy bum and shopping at Kmart or Coles. At least those businesses treat their warehouse pickers well.

Burn out or slip discs or dislocate a shoulder or something

Ridiculous

I've seen guys do 3 x 12 hour days one week, then 4 x 12 hour days the next, or have set contracts to 3x12 or 4x12, normally they'll be at work for 13 hours a day, but they don't mind the trade off of extra days off.

But 15 hour days stink. I used to be a chef and they can be nasty

I work 15 or more on odd occasions, to meet particular deadlines, and it feels like an event at the end of the day. Not something i could do routinely.
I've worked a lot of elections, and a normal polling booth officer/counter is normally 15 or 16. Its a long day but not to bad, not much personal stress.
Polling booth officer in charge. I had a nightmare experience, oversubscribed booth, undermanned, my first time without having ever done the second in charge role ( 2IC has the same training ). That one was the most stressful 19 hours i ever experienced.

I've done a 20 hour shift before. Generally, 16+ is go home/get relieved type thing, as it starts to risk people falling asleep at the wheel on the drive home.

Occasionally as team leaders in busy understaffed and/or ill-experienced units you might occasionally find yourself working flat out 10-12 hour days Mon-Fri. I thrive on that sort of diligent busy so I get into the rhythm of it, but generally you like resourcing to assist a more manageable situation or coordinated workflow. Of course there are occasional high urgency/activity/disaster times that pop up on a calendar where you are happy to fully give yourself over to the work (like a fishmonger on certain holidays), especially if there is some overtime or time in lieu recompense. But not every worker out there is going to feel as devoted or aligned to their organisation's cause, and might instead feel exploited.

Long shifts aren't too bad depending on the shift cycle (how many days in a row or per week and sufficient time between shifts), type of work, homelife demands, etc.

I've often wondered about the trope of some highly skilled physician working a 36-48 hour hospital shift. And those successful people that claim to get by on 4 hours sleep routine. I can see it, but it feels a little risky and poorly managed.

I've often wondered about the trope of some highly skilled physician working a 36-48 hour hospital shift. And those successful people that claim to get by on 4 hours sleep routine. I can see it, but it feels a little risky and poorly managed.

I always assume speedy drugs are involved. Caffeine by itself wouldn't cut it, I wouldn't think.

On a completely unrelated note, I find it odd that RWNJ-types like to paint themselves as patriots, and then in the same breath bash their fellow countrymen for being too lazy to do those jobs that the oh so noble foreigners are all too willing to do.

Bashing your own countrymen and then praising foreigners doesn't seem very patriotic to me.

Just reading up on Amazon, apparently the shift "could be" as long as 15 hours. In practise they get everything picked for the day then send the staff home.
They have been described as "Hunger games management style " where staff who are considered slow aren't called in again.
So they have staff who are don't drink water because they don't want to go to the toilet , because it will count against their times.
They shortcut health and safety measures for the same reason, yet of course they are told off if they are seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is such s**t

my company is mostly staffed by australians, HQ in australia, tax base in australia, but because we had a certain %age of our revenue outside australia we were disqualified

how the actual * does NYU pass the local content bar?!?!?!?

I can't see it not getting really ugly.

The only thing they can breach jobseekers for is "failure to accept a suitable job offer or commence in a suitable job, without a reasonable excuse"
There are no penalties for any other breaches of mutual obligation.

EDIT:

The sneaky way they tell jobseekers they have to do this or that, then adding on the end that they can't be penalised for non-compliance!

https://www.employment.gov.au/what-do-job-seekers-jobactive-need-do

Mutual obligation requirements for job seekers will be gradually reintroduced from Tuesday 4 August 2020.

Importantly, from 4 August 2020, if job seeker fails to accept a suitable job offer or commence in a suitable job, without a reasonable excuse the matter will be referred to Services Australia for a determination. If Services Australia determines the job seeker does not have a reasonable excuse for refusing the job offer, the job seekers payment may be cancelled, and the job seeker may serve a four-week preclusion period.

Job seekers with providers will be required to:

• undertake appointments with their employment services provider. This can be done online or over the phone or in exceptional circumstances in person
  • agree to a Job Plan- the Job Plan sets out what a job seeker agrees to do while on payment and moving towards or back into employment.
  • undertake up to four job searches per month, tailored to local labour market conditions and
  • participate in training or other activities, either online or in person where safe to do so.

Job seekers who are in the Online Employment Service will be required to:

• agree to a Job Plan
  • undertake up to four job searches per month.

Importantly, job seekers will not face impacts to their payment or penalties for not meeting their requirements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back