Preview Changes: R18 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if Wright still wants to play, we can't have them both in the side in that case.
Well then the next question becomes.. if we have Matty Wright already doing it and he wants to continue doing so.. then why do we need Mackay?..

Sounds like we are gonna give up a valuable spot on the main list for a guy we have no intention playing in the AFL 22.. so he can be a “player/coach” in the SANFL side even though we probably already have Matty Wright in that very role..

Just reeks of desperate attempt to cling onto David remaining on our AFL list for as long as possible.

So... Which young potential talent are we going to miss out on bringing in to our rebuilding side for this extravagance?.

Safe to say Mackay, Hartigan and Kelly are required players for 2021. Dissapointed we didn't give Butts or Worrel more of a shot in the Kelly easy position.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn't say that's a given, as I alluded to in my post above. We've got a team composed roughly half half of youth vs experience. If we can push these guys, you can go either way, say we've got good enough youth, therefore cut more oldies, or say we're not good enough, need to cut more deadwood be it old or young and or keep a bit of so-so wood, even a mackay, to keep a bit of experience around to carry the inevitable further shift to inexperienced players. Note mackay was a proxy for any number of players, kelly, harto, lynch etc.

Well then the next question becomes.. if we have Matty Wright already doing it and he wants to continue doing so.. then why do we need Mackay?..

Sounds like we are gonna give up a valuable spot on the main list for a guy we have no intention playing in the AFL 22.. so he can be a “player/coach” in the SANFL side even though we probably already have Matty Wright in that very role..

Just reeks of desperate attempt to cling onto David remaining on our AFL list for as long as possible.

So... Which young potential talent are we going to miss out on bringing in to our rebuilding side for this extravagance?.
I think with an even younger squad next year than this year we'll want senior bodies in the SANFL side. I'd wager a guy like Wilson wouldnt have survived last year if we knew COVID was coming

Pretty disappointing. Glad we didn’t pick Hamill but surely there were other options. And why not give Butts Kelly’s role. How the * are we going to develop young players if we don’t give them games when we have two experienced KPDs next to them. That one irks me much more than Mackay.

Just why?

True. Such a waste if thats the case. I still reckon all 3 will get another year or at least 2/3 will.

Nah, you could probably say with 99% certainty both Hartigan and Mackay are gone. A decrease in list sizes and our draft hand pretty much forces our hand in that regard as it means we'll need to dump anyone who is out of contract.

Kelly is here to 2021. He should be gone by then, but he's certainly the type of spud Adelaide loves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balme would know you need to do everything to win a flag. Blood the guys that will be a part of that side.
Mackay and Kelly are getting us nowhere.
Richmond have list fillers too, in fact all the club's he's been at do. Richmond are a side full of average talent role players.

It is Adelaide, you cant say that with any certainty. If Mackay is gone why hasnt he retired and we give him a big show for his last game? He would have been told by now surely and he is not naive enough to think he is in demand from another club.
Nah, you could probably say with 99% certainty both Hartigan and Mackay are gone. A decrease in list sizes and our draft hand pretty much forces our hand in that regard as it means we'll need to dump anyone who is out of contract.

Kelly is here to 2021. He should be gone by then, but he's certainly the type of spud Adelaide loves.

A sniff of getting off the bottom of the ladder (which only helps the club from an image/marketing perspective) and BOOM, old guys in, young guys out.

So depressingly typical
A 10 goal beating may be just what the club needs.

Worried there might be too many pats on backs up at the suits level after the last 3 weeks.

Richmond have list fillers too, in fact all the club's he's been at do. Richmond are a side full of average talent role players.
Richmond have the right role players which is why they are premiership players.

It is Adelaide, you cant say that with any certainty. If Mackay is gone why hasnt he retired and we give him a big show for his last game? He would have been told by now surely and he is not naive enough to think he is in demand from another club.

Much like Douglas he'll be forced out, but we'll wait for list size changes.

Or do they have the right system ?? I have no doubt a spud like Castagna wouldn't be half as good with us.

Indeed , they all have at least one elite or excellent part to their games that fit the squad and game style .

Kane Lambert is a prime example , Butler was another ... there are of course many more but it is friday night and i am being lazy .

Going all out for the win. Wonder how close they'll get? Good way to evaluate your list to a degree, if wwe push them all the way, perhaps we have a better list than we think, maybe cull a bit less, or a bit more, depending on how you look at it.
I agree we should push Richmond and play our best team. I just happen to believe our best team won't get within 4 - 5 goals of them currently. No shame in that as they are the benchmark and will most likely be premiers in a month. The problem I have is that Kelly, Mackay and Walker aren't in our best team imo. Our best team has one of Lynch/Walker(I would play Lynch) and one of Hartigan/Kelly (I would play Hartigan). Moving forward I hope we can find replacements for both through the trade and draft or on our list. I understand they want to facilitate Walker breaking modra's record (although this wouldn't be a discussion if modra didn't leave) but hopefully once it occurs Walker can retire from the AFL team and puts all his efforts into fast tracking the youth in the sanfl. Our best team also doesn't include Mackay but I understand not risking Hamill this year. The last 3 weeks should be an indicator that the club is on the right path and a more aggressive list overhaul is the right course. No shortcuts can be taken in a rebuild and mistakenly overvaluing 3 wins(although they were a good turnaround) is fraught with danger. This game will be a good indicator of where we truly sit but I do believe the young nucleus we have shows a lot of promise.

Last edited:
Or do they have the right system ?? I have no doubt a spud like Castagna wouldn't be half as good with us.

Having the wrong role players for your system means you have the wrong role players. Because they aren't suitable for the role

I'm not sure that's right, but they are playing.
Youre not sure whats “right”?..

That Mackay isnt a required player for 2021?

Its becoming obvious that mackay is a required player and will probably be given another contract for next season.

And a few here seem to brush this off with a “it ok, he’s not gonna play anywhere other than in the SANFL side”..

Of course this is completely ignorant to the fact that we said the exact same thing when mackay was re-signed at the end of 2018, then he missed nearly all the 2018-19 preseason and was picked in the starting 22 for round 1 2019.

Then end of 2019 he was given another year and everybody brushed it off with “oh, he wont be playing anything but SANFL footy next season”.. how many games is it that has he now played in 2020?.. anyone?...

Now here we are at the end of 2020 and mackay is likely to get yet another contract extention..

And people are still pushing this “oh, but he wont play anything but SANFL next season” horseshit!..

Please forgive me for not buying into everyone’s optimism on this!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back