Boomers vs Kids these days

Remove this Banner Ad

On a national scale this probably puts you in the top 10%. People tend to vastly underestimate how 'rich' they are in the national scale.

My household income in probably in the top 5% of Australians. Buying a house in Sydney would terrify me.
Considering 5% own 95% of the wealth. This is a crazy reality.
Without spending about $10 K on weath creation seminars. Around 1999-2000 Which I had to borrow for. I probably would be in the 95% in the “dead or dead broke” at 65 years old. Same age different outcome.

Genuine LOL at being in a position to live at your parents home whilst full time working, and yet still convincing yourself that you have had it so tough that no one could possibly understand these days.
Yes, until I was around 19 or 20 and had to leave. Not like many of today's kids who are still in the family home into their 30's. I do acknowledge that it is harder for younger folks to own a home today, and jobs are not quite as easily come by, but there are definitely some Millenials, Gen Z's who seem to feel entitled, and don't want to start at the bottom and work their way up. Whilst some of my generation have had solid jobs for much of their careers, there's plenty like myself, who've had to constantly re-skill / up-skill and take on different jobs across different industries just to make a living.

Yes, until I was around 19 or 20 and had to leave. Not like many of today's kids who are still in the family home into their 30's. I do acknowledge that it is harder for younger folks to own a home today, and jobs are not quite as easily come by, but there are definitely some Millenials, Gen Z's who seem to feel entitled, and don't want to start at the bottom and work their way up. Whilst some of my generation have had solid jobs for much of their careers, there's plenty like myself, who've had to constantly re-skill / up-skill and take on different jobs across different industries just to make a living.
My kid has been told since the day dot... you will have to reinvent yourself throughout your lifetime. My hubby who has been in Academia forever... has still had to reinvent himself in terms of research focus, many times over the 40 years I've been with him. And me? I've been in private retail, public service, corporations, experiential training, motivational and personal development and, research and management administration. I think there are definitely some [insert age bracket here] who seem to feel "entitled" (hello Linda) - this is not an age limited thing, it's all about whether the individual is a tosser or not.

You mean the generation advocating aggressive action on climate change, better social safety nets and a society more accepting of diversity in race, religion and sexual/gender identity?

Yeah going to be horrific having to put up with that if we have our way. Poor kids.

Spare me..

Once I was conceited now I am just perfect..

Does it not make you feel utterly hollow inside to openly admit 'yeah once I cared about other people, but now I've got mine and I live a comfortable existance so fu** those others'?. Like have you ever stopped to think what that says about you as a person?
Wow.
Please re-read that.
Before you posted, did you stop "to think what that says about you as a person"? Are you proud of that comment?

I have a suggestion, which I intend without rancour or judgment. Please save that post of yours somewhere so that you can re-read it occasionally over the years.
At some time, hopefully sooner than later, I believe you'll look back at that and go:
"Wow. That was intolerant and judgmental; nasty, too" and realise why people who are not yet born are talking at you in the same way that you posted at mistylake.
If you're lucky, you'll live to a ripe old age. I hope you do :thumbsu: :), but please consider now how you'd like to be spoken to at that age.
Giving/receiving kindness is free and much more pleasant and less stressful than being negatively judgmental

Wow.
Please re-read that.
Before you posted, did you stop "to think what that says about you as a person"? Are you proud of that comment?

I have a suggestion, which I intend without rancour or judgment. Please save that post of yours somewhere so that you can re-read it occasionally over the years.
At some time, hopefully sooner than later, I believe you'll look back at that and go:
"Wow. That was intolerant and judgmental; nasty, too" and realise why people who are not yet born are talking at you in the same way that you posted at mistylake.
If you're lucky, you'll live to a ripe old age. I hope you do :thumbsu: :), but please consider now how you'd like to be spoken to at that age.
Giving/receiving kindness is free and much more pleasant and less stressful than being negatively judgmental
Did you actually read what was posted?

'Yes I used to care about climate change etc, but then I got older and became more "conservative"'.

There's not really another way to think about that. Today's older conservatives were yesterday's Vietnam war protestors.

1) Did you actually read what was posted?
'Yes I used to care about climate change etc, but then I got older and became more "conservative"'.
2) There's not really another way to think about that. Today's older conservatives were yesterday's Vietnam war protestors.
1) To be fair/honest, no, I didn't read back. You make a fair point. It means that both of them need to calm down and back off a bit, doesn't it?
2) I was one of those Vietnam War protestors, marching in the first Moratorium (1971/2, not sure --- I can't find my glasses or my memory, ha!) when I was at Adelaide Uni, but I was barely Radical then, just as I am not Conservative now. I didn't understand fully at the time why I was there; the intricacies of the Politics/ideology/paranoia/Imperialism behind the Vietnam War eluded me. I just know I had a strong sense of fairness and there was something very rotten about the whole thing.
I never used to think about how I would think, or feel or behave when I'd be older. I wish I had.
All I can say is that the Millenials who are in here now will, with great luck, be much older one day as well and would benefit from considering how they'd like to be talked to, then.

Wow.
Please re-read that.

It says I am utterly intolerant of those who aren't trying to make this world better. I'm ok with it now and if you like I'm happy to reconsider if I feel the same in the decades to come, but I certainly hope it doesn't change.

Did you actually read what was posted?

There's not really another way to think about that. Today's older conservatives were yesterday's Vietnam war protestors.
Lots of generalisations going on here.

Lots of generalisations going on here.
We are talking about en masse generations, of course there are generalisations. You don't fit the generalisation, great, don't worry about it.

Conservative voters are 'in general' older and wealthier, with current policy settings likely to ensure that continues. This isn't unique to Australia.

If you have a kinder way to interpret:
' The thing is that your preaching the same stuff that us older generations were banging on about before we bought houses and started becoming more conservative which you will also do, then you’ll get a chance to be at the pointy end of decision making and do the same. '

Which was posted in response to a comment about diversity, equality, climate change, etc, then I'd like to hear it. Misty in fact said 'I used to bang on about those topics, but then I bought a house.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It says I am utterly intolerant of those who aren't trying to make this world better.
Everyone has their own story.
Some people's lives are so poor/unhappy/love-deprived/(*insert negative circumstance*) that it's all they can do to make their own lives better. I don't blame them for a lack of altruism or philanthropy if their focus is self-improvement, which will indirectly make the world a better place, anyway.

Everyone has their own story.
Some people's lives are so poor/unhappy/love-deprived/(*insert negative circumstance*) that it's all they can do to make their own lives better. I don't blame them for a lack of altruism or philanthropy if their focus is self-improvement, which will indirectly make the world a better place, anyway.

Well thats rather naive.

If people focusing on purely themselves still made the world better we'd be in paradise.

In reality people who have a lack of altruism or care for their fellow man actively make the world around them worse in their quest to improve their own lot in life.

2) Well thats rather naive.
1) If people focusing on purely themselves still made the world better we'd be in paradise. In reality people who have a lack of altruism or care for their fellow man actively make the world around them worse in their quest to improve their own lot in life.
1) I wasn't talking about the blatantly selfish, of course. I was talking about "the some" who "... are so poor/unhappy/love-deprived/(*insert negative circumstance*) that it's all they can do to make their own lives better ". Self-improvement under difficult conditions, not self-aggrandisement or greedy misanthropy.
I'd explain myself better without having to use the relative brevity of post-speak, but you do not want reasonable dialogue.
You want to be right. What are you, 25-35? It's OK, I wanted to be right then, too. Trying to reason with you is like trying to advise a younger-me. I wouldn't have listened, either. I didn't believe that people who'd lived 2x or 3x longer than me might be smarter-via-experience, too.
2) OK, millenial :) .
That's a cheap shot and unfair. You don't know me and have latched onto what you think I said; not what I really said.
I'm a lot of things but naive isn't one of them --- the years take care of that. In fact, often I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know back then.
Being 60+, I have perspective that you won't get until you're 60+, or thereabouts.
You'll see 🌈 .

Think it was called the "lock up your daughters" tour :)

And yeah it is disturbing when you find out what they got up to, it is like the ones who portrayed themselves as evil devil worshippers were actually wholesome folk at heart but those who went for the genuine good guy tag, end up being the disturbing bastards...sort of like the preacher who spouts "morals...living by gods word etc" is the one cheating on his wife with a multitude of women.

Thought more Rolf would look after the daughter whilst Bill had a nice wine and chat with mum.

when people say 'boomers have had a free ride' i think that erroneously gets interpreted as if they haven't worked hard - That is obviously not true, in general -

It's supposed to read that no matter how hard the ordinarly layperson of the GenX/Millenial generation work, they'll never be able to accumulate the same amount of capital that boomers did with a comparative work rate

Back in the day a single income could bring up an entire family while the Mum stayed at home

these days dual incomes are barely enough to pay the child care rates

Apart from everything that's been said the Boomers had the Beatles.
Every year they produced something different and fresh, exciting at the time...I'm told!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back