Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues Round 18 Saturday 7.40pm - The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you think of the backline set up I posted? I reckon it looks good. I think we can accommodate Lester, Payne, Andrews and Gardiner.

Lester is playing the role Adams/Walker/Payne was supposed/would to play. Because of that, you can’t have Lester and Payne in the same backline

I'm still scratching my head as to why Birchall is a walk up start,

Hinge can consider himself very unfortunate

I'd go so far as to say that unless Birchall shows something this game, Hinge could/should be an automatic replacemenmt for the QF
i agree with Hinge being unfortunate but i think we all knew Hinge was going out with regulars coming back. At least he was a) given an opportunity and b) he took that opportunity so his name would not be scrubbed off the white board. Hopefully what he produced is enough to keep him on for next year. I personally think and have mentioned in other posts i think he can play the roll of Birchall next year when Birchall is rested as we know he won't play a full year next year. Fingers crossed because he looked so cool and composed with ball in hand last week and the score involvements he was involved in were at key times.

I would be expecting Smith and Prior to be putting their hands up for consideration in the backline as well next season. Smith as a defensive stopper type and Prior as a run off distributor perhaps a little like Bailey getting up the ground a bit onto the wing.

The blackout we have experienced on the ressies matches this year has been annoying and makes it hard to assess how the young guys are settling in but hopefully they are doing well.

With Hinge showing he can play at AFL level, Witherden hopefully back and a few others there will be plenty of competition.

The competition for spots has already started :thumbsupemoji:

Lester before Witherden, which is where Fagan has it now. Other than that. I like yours too.

Lester’s playing a third tall role now, that’s why he’s in front of Witho. That changes with Payne, Andrews and Gardiner playing together. Third tall role is taken.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm still scratching my head as to why Birchall is a walk up start,

Hinge can consider himself very unfortunate

I'd go so far as to say that unless Birchall shows something this game, Hinge could/should be an automatic replacemenmt for the QF
I agree with you, and have been stating all year that we had some young guys that were worthy of some exposure to gain some experience, but i can't see them dropping Birch for the finals. I am against Birchall getting another year in 2021, further hampering development of Hinge or one of the other young guys.

Lester is playing the role Adams/Walker/Payne was supposed/would to play. Because of that, you can’t have Lester and Payne in the same backline
Lester been better than I thought he would be this year, so good luck to him and has probably received another contract. However with Payne being bigger, stronger, faster, providing he keeps developing Payne is likely in the team in 2021.

I agree with you, and have been stating all year that we had some young guys that were worthy of some exposure to gain some experience, but i can't see them dropping Birch for the finals. I am against Birchall getting another year in 2021, further hampering development of Hinge or one of the other young guys.
IF we were to win a Premiership, I really don’t think he will go on anyway.
But I agree, if we were to lose Hinge or Witherden (Or both) as a result of keeping Birchall I actually think it would be setting us back.

Hinge also brings flexibility given he’s mainly played wing at AFL level but can play down back.

Id have

B: Gardiner Payne/Adams Starcevich
HB: Ah Chee Andrews Rich

Bench: Hinge

Answerth misses out because of his kicking

Completely agree, I'd have Hinge > Witherden > Birchall off HB atm. Just really unsure what Birchall is bringing to the team as he doesn't have much penetration in his kicking anymore and generally just takes easy options or goes down the line.

I think that's essentially what I think we value him in the side for. He generally makes the right decision with ball in hand and generally doesn't incite panic with his disposals because he's aware of his limitations. With the way teams set up behind the ball defending their own forward 50, realistically 9 times out of 10 you're either going short or down the line and you need players that can reliably make that decision and then execute the disposal.

That being said I'm hoping that one of the younger guys can push him out of the side next season (since it sounds like he'll trigger his extension), especially with the respective natural improvement/regression. Would be good experience for the reserves to play alongside him too, especially because they'll be playing tougher opponents next season.

Last edited:
My crush on Chris Fagan runs unabated. Good on him for his praise of Kade Simpson in midweek
presser. Also, did anyone else notice, during post-swans game interview, a small thing that speaks
volumes of his character? A reporter asked him a question and, inexplicably, forgot Lachie Neale's
name. It was an embarrassing brain fade, (brownlow favourite, best player etc.), but Fages, rather
than castigate or humiliate or even roll his eyes, helped him out and, when thanked, just gave the
most gracious response and genuine respectful smile. It's a small thing but I have a recollection of him
doing a similar thing a year or two ago: a young reporter, possibly with a stammer, was having a nightmare
trying to make an intelligible observation. It was awful and you felt sorry for the bloke. Fages, to his immense
credit, didn't make a fuss, answered thoughtfully and said it was a good question. It took the heat off the
hapless scribe and swiftly cleared the awkwardness. Football genius and , evidentially, a really nice fella.
He rightfully pointed out that the Blues have Simpson to play for this week. If you were going to put in
a special effort out of respect for a retiring player, he's the one you'd go an extra yard for. Absolute champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back