Preview Changes: R18 v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Which AFL club has he worked in previously?
Guess we better move him on and get a fail AFL coach to come on Board,
You do Understand Balme started without AFL admistration experience,
Again Piontless conting I believe Kelly good enough you don't so why Bother.
still don't believe Balme comming,

Guess we better move him on and get a fail AFL coach to come on Board,
You do Understand Balme started without AFL admistration experience,
Again Piontless conting I believe Kelly good enough you don't so why Bother.
still don't believe Balme comming,

I think he's likely talented and will grow into the role. But he's a newbie, you must accept that and if you can get Balme to come in and rebuild the system, with his experience, you take that opportunity every single day of the week. It's a complete no brainer. And Balme had extensive high level coaching experience prior to entering his first football Ops (not admin) role. Kelly's experience is admin, you're right there, Balme is an Ops guy and Kelly couldn't hope for a better short term counterpart.

200-games-jpg.964781
Hopefully that's a Father-Son photo in a few years' time.

Get to it, Daniel. :grin:

Or do they have the right system ?? I have no doubt a spud like Castagna wouldn't be half as good with us.
Spud? Only in his 5th season averaging 12 disposals a goal and almost 3 tackles a game as a small forward that’s pretty handy. It’s called recruiting for need Castagna has elite speed and endurance Rioli the same Butler was the same.

Spud? Only in his 5th season averaging 12 disposals a goal and almost 3 tackles a game as a small forward that’s pretty handy. It’s called recruiting for need Castagna has elite speed and endurance Rioli the same Butler was the same.
A woefully skilled player.

But that's the point, he doesn't have to have great skill in the role he plays.

For the vast majority of the season I would agree. In the last few weeks however, there has been a clear change.

The selections of Hartigan, Mackay, Kelly and Lynch in particular are not that far off what we did at the end of 2019.
I broke down all midfield CBA in another thread and the same has happened in our midfield where it's basically only Crouch x2, Sloane, Laird and O'Brien in the past month. Himmelberg in for a few and Keays once in a couple of games.

That being said, that part I probably don't have a huge issue with as we did try a heap of guys in the midfield without much sucess and I think holding our own for a change has given Nicks the ability to access some of the other areas which would have been near impossible earlier in the year due to lack of opportunity.

Taylor Walker is currently our leading goal kicker for the season with just 14 goals.

Crazy to think we'll have a guy win the goal kicking award with way less than 20 goals. The previous lowest was 30 goals by Johncock in 2003

Taylor Walker is currently our leading goal kicker for the season with just 14 goals.

Crazy to think we'll have a guy win the goal kicking award with way less than 20 goals. The previous lowest was 30 goals by Johncock in 2003
Yeah been a very rough season for us up forward.

I suppose it's 5 less games and you'd want to multiply the score by 1.25 to make up for the loss game time. Even with that, we still fall way short of the 30 goals.

Just looking into it further, currently we've scored 793 points for the season, 2003 we scored 2114 (we finished 6th, so just lack of forwards). We're averaging 49.5 points a game so over 22 games brings us to 1,090 points over 22 games. x1.25 to get us to full game time and we sit at 1,393 points - shows why we're 18th :'(

Yeah been a very rough season for us up forward.

I suppose it's 5 less games and you'd want to multiply the score by 1.25 to make up for the loss game time. Even with that, we still fall way short of the 30 goals.

Just looking into it further, currently we've scored 793 points for the season, 2003 we scored 2114 (we finished 6th, so just lack of forwards). We're averaging 49.5 points a game so over 22 games brings us to 1,090 points over 22 games. x1.25 to get us to full game time and we sit at 1,393 points - shows why we're 18th :'(
Despite all that, scoring as a whole is way down on previous seasons. Port average 70 points a game, or about 88 if a normal season. When is the last team the highest scoring team of the season averaging less than 100 points a game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I guess we aren't having any retirements this year or they would've been announced by now? :shrug:
Gibbs?

The only other two are Tex and DMac.

Tex should retire. If he stays on he better be committed to a massive preserving. Drop 5kg and expect to play a running game next year.

But I feel DMac deserves another year. He played some good Footy this year at times. Post Geeling game, everything before that IMO was about the draft.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Despite all that, scoring as a whole is way down on previous seasons. Port average 70 points a game, or about 88 if a normal season. When is the last team the highest scoring team of the season averaging less than 100 points a game?
Be curious how much scoring is done in the final 5 minutes of quarters when teams are normally gassed given that's what we've lost.

The product as a whole has certainly become a lot worse in recent years. The rules/adjudicating certainly hasn't help in my eyes, very few neutral games I've watched this year where I've walked away been satisfied with the game as whole. Instead I just get frustrating with the tacky rules and the contest being pretty lackluster.

I do feel we'd be better off removing the interchange cap, we had plenty of high scoring games prior to that coming in but the need to see a contest changed that and I don't think the game has benefitted as a result.

Sad times when everyone is resigned to Mackay getting another year after starting to play passable games in the last month.

Gibbs?

The only other two are Tex and DMac.

Tex should retire. If he stays on he better be committed to a massive preserving. Drop 5kg and expect to play a running game next year.

But I feel DMac deserves another year. He played some good Footy this year at times. Post Geeling game, everything before that IMO was about the draft.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad times when everyone is resigned to Mackay getting another year after starting to play passable games in the last month.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
To me DMac and Atkins are similar players.

Great in a good team. Found out in a poor team.

Can't have two on the list. Atkins is gone.

Having said that I dont see DMac as a must keep. Woud even argue right now is a great time for him honourably retire. That ship salied for Tex last year....

Ijust understand why they would keep him.

To me DMac and Atkins are similar players.

Great in a good team. Found out in a poor team.

Can't have two on the list. Atkins is gone.

Having said that I dont see DMac as a must keep. Woud even argue right now is a great time for him honourably retire. That ship salied for Tex last year....

Ijust understand why they would keep him.

The excessive hate for Mackay seems to only come here, even Tredders said on 5AA last night that his form had been good over the last month and that whether he is kept on will depend on senior players like Hartigan moving on and what list sizes are. He’s heard it will be 38 with no rookie list.

I think Hamill will take his place round one next year like he did upon restarting this season and he will remain as senior depth and might even captain the sanfl side.

Does the selection committee understand we were 8 goals to one UP at half time without Mackay in our side?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yes, but with his elite endurance we would have held up better in the second half. Obviously.

Don't have faith in Tex to storm past Modra's record by kicking 16 goals against Richmond and equaling Johncock's season tally?

I think he's likely talented and will grow into the role. But he's a newbie, you must accept that and if you can get Balme to come in and rebuild the system, with his experience, you take that opportunity every single day of the week. It's a complete no brainer. And Balme had extensive high level coaching experience prior to entering his first football Ops (not admin) role. Kelly's experience is admin, you're right there, Balme is an Ops guy and Kelly couldn't hope for a better short term counterpart.
an option might be balme replaces roo as football director on board and roo takes another board role

Dmac was actually good tonight and looks like he has started to listen to what the coaches want from him, and added some attack on the ball to his game (even though it got him suspended last week).

I think they will retain him based on his last month, as much as I would like him to move on as I think he's got Shaun Marsh syndrome. Still getting picked on potential into their 30's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back