Have two rules disappeared?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the ball rests on your hand it's a possession
Ok now I get your point and agree with you. I think however that if you are tackled and gain possession simultaneously, its a ball up if the ball does not spill free and play on if it does spill free except if the tackler continues to hold you once the ball is free then it's your kick. I wouldn't even use the word "prior" too confusing....just all players should be given an opportunity to get rid of the ball... full stop.

Ok now I get your point and agree with you. I think however that if you are tackled and gain possession simultaneously, its a ball up if the ball does not spill free and play on if it does spill free except if the tackler continues to hold you once the ball is free then it's your kick. I wouldn't even use the word "prior" too confusing....just all players should be given an opportunity to get rid of the ball... full stop.
Ok but the blokes was staying in that scenario if it was knocked free in the tackle that would automatically be holding the ball

HTB/Incorrect disposal has been the most inconsistent rule for the last decade, that's not anything new. The whole prior opportunity thing has made it too complicated.

Simple solution, if you are legally tackled and lose possession of the football without kicking/handballing it then it's a free kick against. No grey areas for prior opportunity.

If you get tackled and aren't able to dispose of the ball, then that's when they can assess what prior opportunity you had, but at least the first interpretation for incorrect disposal is clear and would make an improvement. I would argue if you are able to take a step, then that's enough time to dispose of the ball, the only time I would call no prior is those stoppage situations where you take possession and are immediately wrapped up.
This rule has always been contentious, but after a flirtation with the traditional interpretation early this year, we are back to ridiculous inconsistency. The 1970 grand final is readily available on video to show what the rule once was and should be now.

A whole lot of throwing and holding the man going unpenalised in Brisbane-Richmond.

Dropping the ball and holding the man seem to have simply disappeared, anyone else seeing this?

Surely paying the frees would open the game up and get us away from these brutal mauls.
Dropping the ball was gone circa 2016.

2020 is all about putting the ball on the ground.

I thought they had done a reasonable job of calling holding the ball consistently, but it was all thrown out the window Clarkson's complaints earlier this year.

The rule used to be that if
1. a player had prior opportunity, and
2. was legally tackled and
3. Either did not dispose of it, OR disposed illegally,
...it was holding the ball

Now, we seem to have a lot more of Holding the ball , even if no prior, but if the ball does not come out, or if the player did not make enough attempt to get it out.

But it is randomly enforced at best - and after going to so much trouble to get it consistent, I reckon the AFL has just introduced another poorly thought out grey area, which not surprisingly, is interpreted inconsistently.

The other rule which seems to have disappeared is 50m for encroaching on the mark - once again, the AFL were red hot on this for several years, and changed the behavior of players - but now they let it go all the time - just seem to pluck the odd one out.

I've honestly never understood that remark for justifying a non call. If it was forced out in the tackle, then the tackle created an incorrect disposal. Surely.
It's bizarre isn't it.

I understand if the ball is knocked out of your hands without an actual tackle being laid, but if you tackle someone and they don't dispose of it legally, they're gone. Surely.

Seems so simple and obvious to me. Don't know why the AFL tinkered with it and complicated it so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back