Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we beaten Freo since winning the flag?

I am confident but wouldn't be surprised if we lost.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we beaten Freo since winning the flag?

I am confident but wouldn't be surprised if we lost.
We pumped them at Marvel last year, but hadn't won before that. Home team wins every time dating back to 2015.

Neutral ground makes it hard to call, but we should be winning this

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Does Melbourne's result today make any difference to team selection?
If Essendon throttle Melbourne and we are ahead with percentage, then Wood probably gets an extra week rest. I’d rest English if that was the case too. Would all depend on percentage though.

In every likelyhood, we’re going to have to win to go forward so it’s probably a moot point.

Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
I was wondering that myself. Possibly give a player or two a refresh. English and Libba being the obvious. Might also depend on us knowing if the Eagles are locked into 5th.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
If Essendon throttle Melbourne and we are ahead with percentage, then Wood probably gets an extra week rest. I’d rest English if that was the case too. Would all depend on percentage though.

In every likelyhood, we’re going to have to win to go forward so it’s probably a moot point.

I'd still bring in Easton to get him conditioned for finals. Another two weeks off wouldn't be ideal for his preparation.

I don't think resting anyone is a good idea now that we have a pre-finals bye.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I was wondering that myself. Possibly give a player or two a refresh. English and Libba being the obvious. Might also depend on us knowing if the Eagles are locked into 5th.
There’s a bye between finals. There won’t be any resting of players if it’s the difference between playing the Saints at GC compared to quarantine in Perth for a week to play the Eagles.

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s a bye between finals. There won’t be any resting of players if it’s the difference between playing the Saints at GC compared to quarantine in Perth for a week to play the Eagles.

Not sure who I would prefer to play. Saints have smashed us in the last two outings and Ratten is far superior tactician than Bev. Bev will tell defenders to play 10 metres in front and the ball will fly over their heads and Saints will run into an open goal. inside 50s will favour us. Ratten has Bevo measure and even though our midfield is 5 times better I cant see us winning unless he changes his tactics

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure who I would prefer to play. Saints have smashed us in the last two outings and Ratten is far superior tactician than Bev. Bev will tell defenders to play 10 metres in front and the ball will fly over their heads and Saints will run into an open goal. inside 50s will favour us. Ratten has Bevo measure and even though our midfield is 5 times better I cant see us winning unless he changes his tactics
This is pretty fair IMO the way they play really doesn’t suit us. I really don’t know why we don’t play to our strengths, if anyone has the stats I’d love to know our scores from defensive half vs scores from forward half. Also how many points we’ve scored in quarters where we’ve had over 70% of ball in our forward half vs quarters where it’s more 50-50 or even played more in our defensive half.

I could be completely wrong but seems to me we struggle to score when we lock the ball inside 50. We don’t have forwards that are capable of scoring in those situations and I feel when we dominate the play like that we press up so high and just try and try and try until finally the opposition get one out the back and score with ease.

Why don’t we set up our defensive further back, don’t even worry about keeping the ball inside 50 let them bring it out. Our pressure on ball carrier through the middle of the ground is usually elite, our intercept players down back are great and our transition and ball movement after a turn over is our biggest strength. Why don’t we play to it? Let them bring it out, make them turn it over and hit them on the rebound, gives guys like Wally, and Naughty better looks in non clogged forward lines where they’ll win more contests than not. Plus it makes us less susceptible to turnovers and being burnt out the back which our defense hates

This is pretty fair IMO the way they play really doesn’t suit us. I really don’t know why we don’t play to our strengths, if anyone has the stats I’d love to know our scores from defensive half vs scores from forward half. Also how many points we’ve scored in quarters where we’ve had over 70% of ball in our forward half vs quarters where it’s more 50-50 or even played more in our defensive half.

I could be completely wrong but seems to me we struggle to score when we lock the ball inside 50. We don’t have forwards that are capable of scoring in those situations and I feel when we dominate the play like that we press up so high and just try and try and try until finally the opposition get one out the back and score with ease.

Why don’t we set up our defensive further back, don’t even worry about keeping the ball inside 50 let them bring it out. Our pressure on ball carrier through the middle of the ground is usually elite, our intercept players down back are great and our transition and ball movement after a turn over is our biggest strength. Why don’t we play to it? Let them bring it out, make them turn it over and hit them on the rebound, gives guys like Wally, and Naughty better looks in non clogged forward lines where they’ll win more contests than not. Plus it makes us less susceptible to turnovers and being burnt out the back which our defense hates

Ropeadope

Back