Traded GWS trade #6 and future R1 pick (tied to GWS) to Adelaide for #4

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Ends up Pick 4 (Adelaide 2019) for Pick 6 (GWS 2019) and Pick 7 or 8 (GWS 2020).

Pretty bloody stoked with that.
Pretty beneficial either way, best case for us last year was that he didn't get bid on before 6 so we pick up Ash/ Young, then go into deficit for this year (knocking our pick back into the late teens anyway), worst case was a bid at 3 and we'd have just gotten this years pick. Pretty happy with what Ash was able to do this year, his gradual improvement has been encouraging. Green probably our best stoppage player already.
McAsey going to be a good long term piece for the Crows and you assume our pick (ends up being about 10 after bids) will be used on a midfielder, I think both clubs would do this deal again

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

That aged well....bwahaha

GWS managed to get Tom Green with that pick you gave them in the trade.
There is 1000 - 1 odds The Crows will get a player as good as Green in this draft, you passed on Butters and Duusma for Chayce Jones.

Giants still win this trade by a mile, despite their diabolical H and A season.

Oct 2, 2002
* . . port lincoln
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Seattle SuperSonics
There is 1000 - 1 odds The Crows will get a player as good as Green in this draft, you passed on Butters and Duusma for Chayce Jones.

but how is it a bad trade for the crows? care to explain

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

You just twisted yourself up in knots trying to make out like it was a terrible deal for the crows..thats what you said back then. But you got it wrong as it was a super super deal for the crows..you could litetally put up that trade to anyone pick 4 for picks 6 and 8 AND stil get the player at 6 that they would have at 4 and they would bite your arm off for it. I couldnt give a stuff from gws perspective as that is irrelevant .you said it was a terrible deal for the crows and were dead wrong

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
but how is it a bad trade for the crows? care to explain

Last year's first round draft class seems like a very solid group at this stage, and of course the AFC were Not to know this, but due TO COVID19 and all junior and state league comp's beinf called off, this year's draft is far more of a lottery after the top 5 or so standout selections

TheVelourFog

All Australian
Dec 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last year's first round draft class seems like a very solid group at this stage, and of course the AFC were Not to know this, but due TO COVID19 and all junior and state league comp's beinf called off, this year's draft is far more of a lottery after the top 5 or so standout selections

What???? You do know we still used a first round pick in last year's draft. We moved back 2 spots in the draft to get an extra top 10 draft pick. Doesn't matter that it is in this year's draft it is still basically a free top 10 draft pick.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you know if Stephens or McAsey was their first choice? Regardless, pick 7-8 is probably worth missing out on your first choice in that case.
McAsey. Crows key defender stocks were diabolical.
McAsey gives us someone to build around.

McPherson ~ Butts ~ Doedee
Hamill ~ McAsey ~ Luke Edwards

That's likely our future back six in 4 years which looks pretty good to me.

We wouldn't have gotten Ash without this deal. It was absolutely worth it.
I guess we'll wait and see. If he becomes a 300+ gamer then yeah it's worth it. But equally would someone like Young would only be a slight downgrade and in this case you get an extra first round pick.

I'd think there'd be half a chance Ash would've been available anyway? It was only a two pick upgrade.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I guess we'll wait and see. If he becomes a 300+ gamer then yeah it's worth it. But equally would someone like Young would only be a slight downgrade and in this case you get an extra first round pick.

I'd think there'd be half a chance Ash would've been available anyway? It was only a two pick upgrade.

It was about getting ahead of Sydney so we could get Green and Ash.
If we didn’t we would of only got Green.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

I don't get how so many people don't understand what was done and why?!?

Crows would likely have picked Tom Green at #4, forcing us to either miss him to select Lachie Ash (or Young - I would have equally have chosen him around that pick), or take Green and miss Ash. No trade with Crows meant GWS were getting only one of the two draftees. Effectively, all we did was pay our 2019 & 2020 first rounders plus a bit more for Green and Ash. Both those players would be selected before pick 6 let alone 8, 12 or 18 (the original picks).

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

Our extra first round pick was getting Tom Green.

Make no mistake, I don't think we expected to be giving up a top 10 pick this year and we have plenty of work to do over the off season, but in terms of this trade, it really doesn't matter- as we needed to move up in the draft to make sure we weren't forced to use pick #6 on Tom Green, and we achieved that.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Crows won. Sorry EJ but you need to let this one go.

Crows would likely have picked Tom Green at #4,
I agreed with this when it was done (and completely understood why it was done), but if this were accurate why didn't they when it was at #6?

If it was I wouldn't be criticising the deal at all.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I agreed with this when it was done (and completely understood why it was done), but if this were accurate why didn't they when it was at #6?

If it was I wouldn't be criticising the deal at all.
That was an ''agreement'' - probably unspoken so there could be no accusations of draft collusion - for Crows not to bid in exchange for such a good price.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our extra first round pick was getting Tom Green.

Make no mistake, I don't think we expected to be giving up a top 10 pick this year and we have plenty of work to do over the off season, but in terms of this trade, it really doesn't matter- as we needed to move up in the draft to make sure we weren't forced to use pick #6 on Tom Green, and we achieved that.
This deal is one that is viewed totally differently between the cluvs. Gws got green and effectively landed ash and forgo a 1st round pick in this draft to do so and are probably very happy with the outcome.

The crows traded down from 4 to 6 and still got mcasey who they would have taken at 4 and got an extra 1st this year. That that first is going to end up pick 8 or thereabouts is a stunning result and means that they get a top 10 kid this year for free.

Both clubs very happy with how it worked. For certain posters on here to come out and make like tge crows stuffed up or lost out is some of the dumbest posting on big footy and there has been some real dumb stuff

Back