Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s worse players than Rourke Smith getting games around the league, he’s quite dependable really. Tries hard, covers a lot of ground, good in the air and reliable set shot. Would prefer he misses more games than he Plays but we’ve definitey got bigger issues than him imo

Do people not realise Daniel pretty much played half forward for the last quarter of last game? With how dominant he's been last two weeks (a level above even the good season he's had before that), Freo almost certainly put a forward tag on him.

He can't have kicked the goal that he did last week if was playing the same role that allowed him to get 15 kicks or whatever the obscene number it was he got in the first half of last week.
All well and good to play JJ, Williams Croz or Daniel up the ground but what are we replacing them with? Wood is not exactly offering us the same ball use or drive

All well and good to play JJ, Williams Croz or Daniel up the ground but what are we replacing them with? Wood is not exactly offering us the same ball use or drive

But that could very well be true if Daniel gets tagged and we put JJ back a bit deeper where he's played his weaker games this year.

Crozier's played up the ground anyway since he's come back from his injury (couple of scoring shots he didn't have last year or earlier this year) and nobody's said it hasn't worked.

Williams won't play up the ground because he's slightly better as a one-on-one defender and natural intercept marker compared to them.

But that could very well be true if Daniel gets tagged and we put JJ back a bit deeper where he's played his weaker games this year.

Crozier's played up the ground anyway since he's come back from his injury (couple of scoring shots he didn't have last year or earlier this year) and nobody's said it hasn't worked.

Williams won't play up the ground because he's slightly better as a one-on-one defender and natural intercept marker compared to them.
I'd give Croz the edge in intercept marking over Williams and I'd have him starting back there at centre bounces

The set up from centre bounce restarts may differ a bit from how they want the back line set up in general play.

I'd give Croz the edge in intercept marking over Williams and I'd have him starting back there at centre bounces

The set up from centre bounce restarts may differ a bit from how they want the back line set up in general play.
Crozier's better at athletically getting to contests and killing chaos.

Williams has been fantastic in more "conventional" defence, ie, beating opponents and reading the ball in packs - what I mean by a natural intercept player, not just Crozier who can jump high or sprint to a contest.

Not that it really represents much, but Williams is averaging 4.75 intercept possessions a game and Crozier 4.15.

Williams has been fantastic in more "conventional" defence, ie, beating opponents and reading the ball in packs - what I mean by a natural intercept player, not just Crozier who can jump high or sprint to a contest.

Not that it really represents much, but Williams is averaging 4.75 intercept possessions a game and Crozier 4.15.
They’re both A super important part of the backline, both could have traits that could work up the ground. I dunno I’m not sure a must win game in the last round of the season is the time to experiment though. Our defence has been the one settled part of the ground this year I don’t really like us ******* with it

Congrats to Mitch Wallis on 150 games and having a great season. His junior side, St.Bernards must have been a strong one, with his Dad as coach and Libba in the side as well. Mitch and Libba have also just about played the identical number of games in the AFL. Libba due to to play his 150th in the Prelim.

1600513369409.png

Last edited:
I’m ok with the changes, though agree we are short a forward (would swap Cavarra and Gardner personally).

Walters out is a good thing, but he has not had a great year.

Honestly, we should be defeating Freo comfortably if we are serious. They have been ok this year but never in contention.

Rotations galore
Fingers crossed should win

On a slightly different note
I was at the western oval round 22 1987
We played Melbourne for spot in the finals
In a very tough game we unfortunately lost
Melbourne supports didn’t move after the game until the results came in from the Hawthorn v Geelong game, Melbourne also needed Hawthorn to win at Geelong. I was half way across the ground when the Melbourne supports broke out in loud cheering
Add that to the Grinter thing the following year, making the finals and keeping Melbourne out would be a nice double

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sensible changes.

I'm not too worried about tomorrow. Freo's been improving but the media has seemingly been hyping their form up for little reason.

Since their bye they've beaten Hawthorn, Sydney, Melbourne and North, none of which are tough opponents, especially since they've had significant home advantage in a few games. Lost to Carlton and were comfortably beaten by GWS and Richmond.

On form, we should see an easy win, particularly given Walters being out. Just depends on how we come out in the first quarter

Haven’t Been this nervous for a dogs game for quite some time.
I'd been quite confident all week, but have the jitters now - hope the boys have more of the right stuff than me.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Wood is 185cm. Hogan would destroy him.

Mystified at the Garnder to be dropped calls. A classic case of first impressions of a footballer dogging their entire career. Deserves to hold his spot after the last couple of weeks.
to be honest. I hope freo dont win this game.

I rather your mob take 8th spot over the demons to be honest.

Imagine if we got to the GF with our current lineup. Roarke Smith, premiership player.
Fletcher Roberts, premiership full back.

Role players are valuable if they play their role well enough

Happy with both TBH (as are you I suspect). My thinking is that from a 6 on 6 standing start at a CB, where the one that is likely to get you is a quick clearance to a mark inside 50, it's Croz I'd want flying to spoil or intercept. After that phase is done or the threat has passed, Williams appears the better architect and has a booming kick. Even then there's not much in it and Croz is dominant left and Williams dominant right.

Luv em both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back