Preview Round 18, 2020: Hawthorn v Gold Coast Suns, 20 September 2020, 1.05pm @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not usually too upset about team selection, but dropping Finn after one game (and I actually agree he looked off the pace) is bewildering. Sure, bring back Frawley, and I can understand playing Moore and Morrison as a last chance (although I'm pretty convinced they won't make it), but surely player development has to feature somewhere in the decision making calculus?

Why not rest Titch who has looked cooked for a month now?
What would we learn about the firing players with a midfield of omeara (not fit) finn and cousins not winning enough ball to bring the fringe players into the game? Don’t get me wrong, even with a rest-needing Mitchell, it is going to be hard for fringe players to get a kick.

I think we know what these guys can do.

I can only assume we are playing Moore for the same reason we didn’t “omit” Howe.

They lose whatever small value they might have(not a great deal) on the trade table should they be dropped late in the year.
They tried to mange Howe last week. He is coming back from plantar fascia. If it flares up it is weeks on the sideline. I think they are genuinely managing him. No one is trading for Moore or Howe regardless.

What would we learn about the firing players with a midfield of omeara (not fit) finn and cousins not winning enough ball to bring the fringe players into the game? Don’t get me wrong, even with a rest-needing Mitchell, it is going to be hard for fringe players to get a kick.
That's a fair point, and maybe I'm over rating Finn, but as the only player we have coming through with power and speed (and endurance as a bonus) I would really like to see us exposing him as often as possible to allow him to adjust to the pace. Particularly when we're not challenging and JOM/Titch are struggling. If there were VFL it would be fine to develop through that avenue.

Anyway, it's only one game, and obviously a farewell game for two great champions of our club, but I really hope we give him a long run at it next year..

I really don’t get people defending Clarko’s selections claiming “we’re learning about what we have on the list”
Surely we bloody know what we have with Frawley by now? He’s been on the list how many years?
Wouldn’t Jackson Ross get a game if that was the idea?
So what’s your explanation then? Clarkos inept yeah?

You can understand why supporters aren’t happy.

we made a call to recruit Mitchell / OMeara / Wingard etc to try for a flag sooner rather than later.

To win that flag we need to develop players. Moore / Morrison aren’t going to be apart of that potential flag with the guys we brought in from other clubs. Either is Frawley. Finn on the other hand needs game time.....like Day and Scrimshaw. We need to fast track our best youngsters......unless this selection means we don’t actually rate Finn??

You can understand why supporters aren’t happy.

we made a call to recruit Mitchell / OMeara / Wingard etc to try for a flag sooner rather than later.

To win that flag we need to develop players. Moore / Morrison aren’t going to be apart of that potential flag with the guys we brought in from other clubs. Either is Frawley. Finn on the other hand needs game time.....like Day and Scrimshaw. We need to fast track our best youngsters......unless this selection means we don’t actually rate Finn??
Name me a player the club has ****ed up their development in by not giving them enough games in the past 15 years. The club have got it right as good or better than any other club in the comp. It’s not like Clarko has a history of ruining the development of young high end talent...

Word has been he’s got a long way to go with his running work, and sometimes if you’re not doing that properly then no amount of games will fix that.

Relax, he’ll have 10+ years if he’s any good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we're in trouble on the draft picks front. We will beat Gold Coast.
iu

I really don’t get people defending Clarko’s selections claiming “we’re learning about what we have on the list”
Surely we bloody know what we have with Frawley by now? He’s been on the list how many years?
Wouldn’t Jackson Ross get a game if that was the idea?
It’s frawley’s 100th game for the club. Even if it wasn’t, don’t you think Stratton and poppy would want to go out with him beside them?

We have two club stalwarts retiring tomorrow. That alone is motivation enough for both Clarko and the players to want to win.

With that in mind Clarko is going to pick a team to give us the best chance at winning and of the available fit players, its really only Moore and maybe Harry who are arguably not best 22 (debates about Stratts and Poopy aside as they were certainties to play their farewell).

But having said that about Moore and Morrison, the other potential options to be playing are really no more or less fringe players than they themsleves are so their selection is case of 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other. Posters spitting the dummy over their favorite fringe player not playing and carrying on like our future success or failure depends on it is crazy stuff.

"Farewell" game in front of all of 12 Hawthorn supporters at the ground.

Though to be fair we are more of a chance to secure pick #3 with Stratton in the side than out of it, so that's a silver lining.
Quite a few Hawks supporters in Adelaide i for one shall be there to farewell the 2 retiring champs.

Name me a player the club has f’ed up their development in by not giving them enough games in the past 15 years. The club have got it right as good or better than any other club in the comp. It’s not like Clarko has a history of ruining the development of young high end talent...

Word has been he’s got a long way to go with his running work, and sometimes if you’re not doing that properly then no amount of games will fix that.

Relax, he’ll have 10+ years if he’s any good.

I’m sure a few more games into an ‘under done’ Joey Kennedy may have changed that outcome.

But I understand where you’re coming from. I’m not backing down from the fact that I believe Finn would benefit from another game more so than Dylan or Harry.....everyone is entitled to their opinion though!

Looking at the team selections, can't see us losing because we didn't try, pick or no-pick. Clarko would have to throw it away in the coaches box in a big way. A big chunk of the team will be trying to get a win for Poppy and Stratton. Those too young to have played many games with those two, will be playing to impress the club in order to cement spots for next year (or indeed avoid getting cut when the list sizes dwindle). If we lose to GC, it is because we are actually that bad, and deserve the earliest pick we can get our hands on.

So I take it Patton wasn't right in the end.
I don't care how minor; a torn tendon is a torn tendon.

I find it hard to believe it was ever seriously a 2 week injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back