Defunct footy clubs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like they were just called Collingwood.
The league also had teams such as Richmond, Carlton (Stars or Blues, or two separate teams?) and North Melbourne. Other teams from 1953 were Graham, Montague, West Footscray, AYC, Millers, Ivanhoe, Sunshine, Parkwood, Brooklyn, Angliss, Williamstown, Braybrook, and South Brunswick
Did VFL teams have Sunday Amateur affiliate clubs?

yes cheers for that, having a look at the photo now ..... it says Magpies football club, Sunday Amateur FL, winners of the Kenson Shield 1949, 50 AND 52 RUNNERS UP 1948

All the officials have what looks to be Collingwood blazers with the exact Collingwood magpie on the pocket.

looks to be some well known CFC names in the team or relations of ..... Utting, Dellamarta, Turner,

Just on the above post, i think Kenson (shield) were bookmakers, FWIU there was no horse racing on Sunday and the Sunday league was very popular with the punters, a story from my Grandfather who i got the photo from stated that one time Collingwood who were a fair way in front at half time against a team i cant remember but a 'local identity' from around the area came into the change rooms at half time and proceeded to open his coat to everyone showing a pistol, ...... surprise surprise ...... Collingwood lost.

It's a very long timeline ...
Melbourne District Association (1906-1915, 1919-24)
renamed ...
VFL Sub-District Association (1925-1949)
renamed ...
Metropolitan Football League (1950-1974)
renamed ...
Northern Metropolitan Football League (1975-1979)

timeline breaks - Fitzroy Stars (went to YCWNFA?), Batman became Coburg Districts in 1981 and went to the FDFL and now are in the EDFL, Princes Hill went to the VAFA, Jacana (YCW then EDFL?), Collingwood Districts (ESCFA), Merlynston folded soon after, East Brunswick went to the FDFL?, St. Andrews ? , Dallas Blues went to YCW, West Brunswick (VAFA?), Bellfield to ESCFA, Broadmeadows (YCW?), Preston Wanderers ? and RMIT ?

Panton Hill FL folded after 1987

Melbourne North Football League formed in 1989 (1989-1994)

Fitzroy Stars eventually to DVFL/NFL.

East Brunswick Did play in the FDFL from about 1987 to about 1992 before folding. Played at Fleming Park on Albert St. Played finals in Div 2 and were a good div 2 side, played in Collingwood jumpers.

Were very culturally 'diverse' and their home ground was very intimidating for visiting teams.

Umpired there several times and can't say I enjoyed those occasions.

There was also a Port Rovers and a Fitzroy team (Stars?) Who both played for several years in the old Western Suburbs FL around 1980 but a gun fired in a finals match at Chirnside Park brought about their demise.

East Brunswick Did play in the FDFL from about 1987 to about 1992 before folding. Played at Fleming Park on Albert St. Played finals in Div 2 and were a good div 2 side, played in Collingwood jumpers.

Were very culturally 'diverse' and their home ground was very intimidating for visiting teams.

Umpired there several times and can't say I enjoyed those occasions.

There was also a Port Rovers and a Fitzroy team (Stars?) Who both played for several years in the old Western Suburbs FL around 1980 but a gun fired in a finals match at Chirnside Park brought about their demise.
"Fitzroy Rovers", my records suggest, in 1982. They lost a grand a grand final to Werribee Centrals that year by exactly 100 points.

Mil Hanna and Tony Mokbel's team.

Interested in getting a list of defunct footy clubs in Melbourne and maybe a bit of info e.g League they were in colours, nickname, home ground, maybe why they disbanded if there are any intersting reaons.

Saint Pius Football Club (also known as West Heidelberg YCW)
Colours: Black with green yoke and narrow gold and white vee
Home Ground: Ford Park, Ivanhoe
YCW Football League (YCWFL) 1965–1978, Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA) 1979–1982
Notable Players: Peter McKenna (Collingwood, Carlton), Shane Bond (Collingwood, North Melb)
They disbanded because they became insolvent.

Any clubs not make it back post COVID? I haven't heard of any folding, albeit a couple which may struggle for numbers in all grades, which is fairly normal.

Anyone with info on the 4 teams that merged to become the Werribee Tigers. They were Werribee South, Irish National Foresters, Services and Metro Farm. I've only found Metro Farm Herefords who played in a Red guernsey with a White V.
Apart from some details of appearances and premierships in the Werribee league, the only extra data I learnt was that INF were based at Chirnside Park. However for all I know, maybe they all played out of the same ground.
I only ever got confirmation that INF, Metro Farm and Services contributed to the Werribee VFA team - and not Werribee South. But it does make sense that Werribee South were also part of this, as they ceased at the same time.

"Fitzroy Rovers", my records suggest, in 1982. They lost a grand a grand final to Werribee Centrals that year by exactly 100 points.

They were called Rover as at the time they didn't have one home ground, i believe they trained at the top end of Edinburgh Gardens near where the tram went through to Alfred Cres. They utilised Atherton Gardens before it became a soccer ground, Merri Park (not sure which oval), Flemming Park on Sunday's, Ross Straw Field and there are a few more.

Anyone with info on the 4 teams that merged to become the Werribee Tigers. They were Werribee South, Irish National Foresters, Services and Metro Farm. I've only found Metro Farm Herefords who played in a Red guernsey with a White V.
Comment to Mobbs below.
Apart from some details of appearances and premierships in the Werribee league, the only extra data I learnt was that INF were based at Chirnside Park. However for all I know, maybe they all played out of the same ground.
I only ever got confirmation that INF, Metro Farm and Services contributed to the Werribee VFA team - and not Werribee South. But it does make sense that Werribee South were also part of this, as they ceased at the same time.

INF wore Green and they wanted to put the clover on it but as we know back then it was hard to do, they were located near Corpus Christi as that's where most of the Irish located to. Think they played at Chirnside Park?
Metro Farm Herefords was at Cocoroc, they were a big club for the size and population. 1919 - 1964
Werribee South there is very little information on them and i have asked around some of the locals and some farmers who have been in the area for ages, all i found out was that they had a few identities and were called Swans like South Melbourne for a few seasons before WWII, The Battlers and Diggers after the road and after WWI vets. 1921?? - 1964
Nothing on Services FC

Last edited:
Any clubs not make it back post COVID? I haven't heard of any folding, albeit a couple which may struggle for numbers in all grades, which is fairly normal.

I would be surprised if there weren't any mergers/casualties. There is talk of the need to rationalise the number of clubs around Maryborough-Castlemaine because there are too many clubs and not enough players and the Upper Murray league has been lurching for a year or two now and is likely to go under in the next couple of years. The metro area would not be immune from all this either. The whole Covid situation might actually prove to be a death-knell for some clubs who were already struggling in recent times.

I reckon some people are going to have to choose between work and play depending on when football returns, which may put stress on clubs all across the state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a few defunct clubs in this article about the King Parrot Football Association in 1913 - https://www.dindi.com.au/wp/2020/03/08/long-forgotten-local-footy-comp-rediscovered/

The article states:

• Flowerdale, red and black,
• Homewood, blue and white,
• Strath Creek, red stockings, blue jerseys, white trousers,
• Kerrisdale, red and white,
• Yea, black and gold, or yellow and black.

Yea is still going of course, but it is interesting to see that these tiny towns and districts had teams once upon a time.

I am in the latter stages of writing a book recording all the associations, clubs and premiers from Western Australia between 1885 and 1945 - it should be ready for release in 2022.

There were a number of teams from towns that don't exist anymore - there is only a sign to prove that the town was once there!

FWIW, there were:
* 282 associations/country weeks/carnivals
* 7727 teams fielded in 1896 competition seasons by 1592 different clubs
* I have tracked 94.96% of the premier teams, with a number of the 96 unknown outcomes happening around WWI and WWII - print media dropped off and didn't report whether some seasons were completed or went into recess.
* I have also been able to confirm the final ladders for 82% of all competition seasons.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Having a lot of spare time due to the pandemic, I went down the rabbit hole of filling the gaps in the Northern Football Netball League's Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Football_Netball_League

I've managed to complete the list of Division 1 Premiership Captains (and the coaches where possible), create a Division promotion-relegation timeline, correct the years that clubs participated in the league, create the Women's section, update the Juniors section and convert the Former Clubs section from text into a table with the location, colours and other details of these clubs. Needless to say, I feel a bit of satisfaction knowing that I have been able to complete a lot of the league history which had gone missing over time (through my research it would appear that a lot of history was lost when the administrators came in and the DVFL changed over to become the Northern FL).

The hardest section to complete was on the former clubs, with almost no information on some clubs such as St Andrews Coburg, Fairfield Park, Thornbury and Thornbury Rovers in particular and I relied on Big Footy for some of the details on these clubs. I saw Fairfield Park play Mernda so I feel pretty confident that their details are correct, but I'd appreciate any feedback about St Andrews Coburg, Thornbury and Thornbury Rovers if you believe I've made an error.

If you have any time, head along and check out the Wikipedia page - if you notice any errors, please let me know and I'll fix them up as I'm pretty good on the coding now!

Thanks.

Found a few defunct clubs in this article about the King Parrot Football Association in 1913 - https://www.dindi.com.au/wp/2020/03/08/long-forgotten-local-footy-comp-rediscovered/

The article states:

Yea is still going of course, but it is interesting to see that these tiny towns and districts had teams once upon a time.
Only heard of Flowerdale (and Yea of course) from these clubs.

The article states:

I picked out a couple of results from Trove:
• June 14. Kerrisdale 2.2 (14) def by Homewood 6.7 (43), Flowerdale v Strath Creek, Yea – Bye.
• June 21. Strath Creek 0.0 (0) def by Yea 7.12 (54) - The Broadford Courier claims 5.6 to 0.1 in Yea's favour, Homewood 15.14 (104) def Flowerdale 4.10 (34), Kerrisdale – Bye.
• June 28. Yea 7.5 (47) def Homewood 3.6 (24), Flowerdale def Kerrisdale on walkover and I'm guessing Kerrisdale withdrew after that. Strath Creek – bye.
• July 5. Homewood 9.13 (67) def Strath Creek 1.1 (7) - Yea Chronicle claims Strath Creek kicked 2.6 (18)
• July 12. Flowerdale 5.12 (42) def by Yea 6.4 (40) - Yea Chronicle gives 6.5 (41) for Yea.
• July 19. Homewood 4.10 (34) def Flowerdale 1.7 (13), Yea vs Strath Creek postponed to August 9th.
July 26. Yea 4.9 (33) def by Homewood 4.11 (35), Strath Creek 3.3 (21) def by Flowerdale 3.5 (23)
August 2, apparently. Strath Creek 2.7 (19) def by Homewood 6.9 (45), Yea 6.7 (43) def Flowerdale 1.9 (15)
• August 9. Yea vs Strath Creek (postponed from July 19) - I don't know if this match was ever played.

• August 16. Homewood 4.3 (27) def Yea 0.4 (4) - Homewood wins the premiership, Yea Chronicle reports that Yea's score was 4 behinds, not 7.

Hi All,

Having a lot of spare time due to the pandemic, I went down the rabbit hole of filling the gaps in the Northern Football Netball League's Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Football_Netball_League

I've managed to complete the list of Division 1 Premiership Captains (and the coaches where possible), create a Division promotion-relegation timeline, correct the years that clubs participated in the league, create the Women's section, update the Juniors section and convert the Former Clubs section from text into a table with the location, colours and other details of these clubs. Needless to say, I feel a bit of satisfaction knowing that I have been able to complete a lot of the league history which had gone missing over time (through my research it would appear that a lot of history was lost when the administrators came in and the DVFL changed over to become the Northern FL).

The hardest section to complete was on the former clubs, with almost no information on some clubs such as St Andrews Coburg, Fairfield Park, Thornbury and Thornbury Rovers in particular and I relied on Big Footy for some of the details on these clubs. I saw Fairfield Park play Mernda so I feel pretty confident that their details are correct, but I'd appreciate any feedback about St Andrews Coburg, Thornbury and Thornbury Rovers if you believe I've made an error.

If you have any time, head along and check out the Wikipedia page - if you notice any errors, please let me know and I'll fix them up as I'm pretty good on the coding now!

Thanks.
Coburg /St Andrews was originally Coburg Amateurs the played out of De Chene reserve in bell st coburg the wore red and dark blue hoops and played in the
C grade VAFA they let the juniors slip and just where not able to get numbers then joined St Andrews

Coburg /St Andrews was originally Coburg Amateurs the played out of De Chene reserve in bell st coburg the wore red and dark blue hoops and played in the
C grade VAFA they let the juniors slip and just where not able to get numbers then joined St Andrews

Thanks, great to know! My best mate's dad played for Coburg Amateurs in the Seniors and I had wondered what happened to that club. I played against the junior side before they merged with Newlands Coburg and remember those red and navy hoops.

The only thing I had been able to find on St Andrews Coburg had been this video from 1989 when they lost the Grand Final to Mazenod in the VAFA - https://www.mazenodfc.com.au/the-club/history and a comment here on Big Footy which had said they wore the Eagles jumper when they came into the DVFL. Do you happen to know the year that Coburg Amateurs and St Andrews merged? Or what the nickname of the merged club was?

Thanks, great to know! My best mate's dad played for Coburg Amateurs in the Seniors and I had wondered what happened to that club. I played against the junior side before they merged with Newlands Coburg and remember those red and navy hoops.

The only thing I had been able to find on St Andrews Coburg had been this video from 1989 when they lost the Grand Final to Mazenod in the VAFA - https://www.mazenodfc.com.au/the-club/history and a comment here on Big Footy which had said they wore the Eagles jumper when they came into the DVFL. Do you happen to know the year that Coburg Amateurs and St Andrews merged? Or what the nickname of the merged club was?
from the ammos web site hope this helps no idea of the nick name sorry

Coburg1935-87

St Andrew’s – Coburg1986-1995

from the ammos web site hope this helps no idea of the nick name sorry

Coburg1935-87

St Andrew’s – Coburg1986-1995

That was great actually as it lead me to the VAFA website where I found the old footy record scans that confirmed their nickname and all other details - cheers!

There was a guy who collated a massive amount of data for the Panton Hill FL (later incorporated into the DVFL). His account seems to have gone from here, but I might have in social media somewhere. I can try to alert him to this conversation, not sure what takes up his time these days. He might have more info to share with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back