Review Good/Bad vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Not one young fella in the midfield the whole game.
I know I banged on about it in the game day thread, but I just can't understand it.
I prefer to think of it as anti-tanking Insurance ;) . If the AFL tries to take away the Pick#1 for tanking, Chapman et al can say that Nicks played the most experienced mids, all game.

Ugly

Riewoldt propelling himself forward in every single marking contest, can’t believe he doesn’t get done for staging
He's either swandiving or "flying for marks" that are nowhere near and never gets a hand on and he never gets done for either.

1) Playing on. I often get pissed off at how we can play on without knowing whats around us and usually it results with us giving up the ball. I agree that we can get a lot of benefit by playing on but only when it is advantageous for us to do so.
2) Sometimes we just need to slow up and make better decisions. The real trick is knowing when to play on or when to hold up the play and our youngsters dont know that yet ...
I'd prefer them to play on at most opportunity, because stop-look-think-look etc just enables the opposition to settle and man up.
The more they do it, the better they'll get at it, and should learn quick-smart to scan around them at all times to play-on to advantage.
2) Agree. It's awareness, like driving ie knowing where you are on the road (eg Anzac Highway) relative to all the other cars around you if you need to make a quick exit/change, moving in the rhythm of the traffic, anticipating, staying out of trouble, not driving in other cars' blind spots etc.
Some of the Crows' inexperienced players have it (awareness) all ready --- McAdam, Schoenberg, Sholl, McPherson (he is going to be very good), Keays (still only 23), Hamill, Himmelberg.
Jones has me worried. He looks panicked, maybe outclassed, but every now and then does something really good.

The big difference I saw tonight was the players for Richmond that look to run from behind their teammate in possession for the handball to set up the loose man and over lap leading to chains of play.
This!
The Crows used to do that. 2017, until the last game :'( .

From AFC site: " BEST
Adelaide:
O'Brien, B.Crouch, M.Crouch, Lynch, Laird, Smith ".
Lynch?
I thought RoB was awesome, but a mate of mine and I watched Lynch closely because I was talking about BF and posters who want to delist him. I thought Lynch bumbled and fumbled and turned the ball over a lot. What did I miss?
I'd put Keays in that spot instead of Lynch.

Smith ahead of McPherson???? Looks like somebody’s been reading the stats sheet.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
We just have to make a couple of big changes in the midfield. Brad to go is an easy one, but I would also move Sloane to a half forward Tom Lynch role full time. Matt and Laird can stay in the middle but we bring in a couple of more dynamic mids like Schoenberg and perhaps one of our 2020 draftees.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sloane is a massive problem. There's nothing to suggest he'd be an AFL quality half forward. Let alone $850k quality. Disastrous contract that one, he looks comfortable out there, living up to his "enjoying football more than ever" comment. He needs a huge summer and return to the gut running inside/outside player.

Hey guess thanks for a cracking game you hit us hard and made us earn every moment probaly one of the best opposition we have played

You looked awesome when you got it in quick and fast the umps didn't help you probs cost you 5 goals easy

Big future ahead for you guys are you next September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asterisk 2020* season, everything is asterisk.....wooden spoon*, premiership*, draft* and fixture* (who Port Power has been kissed by).

Ughh, for some reason my whole message didn’t post!!

The response, “no, this will be the hardest season to win a GF with everyone travelling”.

What makes me laugh is these family members give it but cannot take it. And I never give it because it can always come back to bite you in the A$$!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jones is taking the pressure off Mchenry nicely who is a big worry also.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jones is constantly a ‘nearly’ player. There’s been no improvement with continued selection. McHenry provides nothing more than an annoying terrier snapping at other players’ heels. Ineffectual.

... or he doesn't show anything for the entire game so the talent is definitely there.
??? That makes no sense. If he doesn't show anything for the entire game how is that a display of his talent?
Posters have good reason to be concerned about Jones --- he looks out of his depth, nonplussed, although he occasionally shows flashes of real talent.
Himmelberg/Hamill/Schoenberg/Sholl (a draft pick from the 60's) /McPherson have impacted games more than Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back