Autopsy Rd 18 Blues go down fighting in Simmo's farewell game

Who gave their all in Simmo's farewell game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You're too much of a stats man. They never tell the whole story.

Our tackle numbers don't reflect the quality of our tackles. So many just don't stick.

Tackle numbers don't mean we didn't go in too tall. You're also just in love with tall players. Wanted us to draft Lukosius ahead of Walsh despite all the talented talls we already have... thank Christ we didn't...and yes I know that talls generally take longer but imagine our midfield without Walsh...

The talls are generally prone to struggling more at ground level. That is a fact which is what Lappin's point was - "ball spends more time on the ground than ever before"... think he makes a better point than your tackle numbers stat...

BTW, Levi, McGovern and Pittonet had very little say in your beloved tackle numbers and generally provided fa around the ground...and that's not just last night..

To top that off, TDK had his worst match since he's run out in the Navy Blue. How do explain having 4 talls that gave us nothing last night not being a problem? And don't make the conditions excuse... surely selection panel had a look at the weather report...

This is right up there with that Dow was our most defensive runner against GWS stat you pulled out...

Bingo.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of those tackles actually held the ball in or held up the play. Very few of our tackles really impact the ball carrier.

Spot on. Losing teams just whinge about umpiring. Winning teams don't because they're too busy **** winning. It seems our supporters after 20 years of this crap have taken on this mentality.

Some umpiring decisions will go against you - some will be in the opposition forward 50. A good chance to avoid this is to not allow an entire bloody quarter to be played deep in the opposition's forward 50.

Winning teams don't normally whinge about umpiring because, in the vast majority of times, they have had the best of the umpiring decisions.

And it's sometimes bloody hard to get out of the back 50 when the umpiring count runs better than 2:1. At one stage there I counted 3 straight goals against us from frees. I'm not saying that they were all bullshit but anyone who doesn't recognise that as a momentum carrier doesn't understand the concept of momentum shifts.

I've never said that the umpires win or lose a game, I've specially never said that umpires show a bias. But when you see such an uneven free count in an otherwise relatively even match I think it's worthy of some mention. Particularly when you hear someone like Richo (far from a Carlton supporter)question decisions several times during the course of the match.

BTW I particularly liked the one to Rich who dropped his head and ran directly into one of our players. WTF is he supposed to do, get out of the way.

You're too much of a stats man. They never tell the whole story.

Our tackle numbers don't reflect the quality of our tackles. So many just don't stick.

Tackle numbers don't mean we didn't go in too tall. You're also just in love with tall players. Wanted us to draft Lukosius ahead of Walsh despite all the talented talls we already have... thank Christ we didn't...and yes I know that talls generally take longer but imagine our midfield without Walsh...

The talls are generally prone to struggling more at ground level. That is a fact which is what Lappin's point was - "ball spends more time on the ground than ever before"... think he makes a better point than your tackle numbers stat...

BTW, Levi, McGovern and Pittonet had very little say in your beloved tackle numbers and generally provided fa around the ground...and that's not just last night..

To top that off, TDK had his worst match since he's run out in the Navy Blue. How do explain having 4 talls that gave us nothing last night not being a problem? And don't make the conditions excuse... surely selection panel had a look at the weather report...

BTW I'm certain his first point was directed to players like Murphy...

This is right up there with that Dow was our most defensive runner against GWS stat you pulled out...

Blue, try and stay with the subject matter and this game rather than a draft 2 years ago, where I was ranking talent. Secondly I selected Smith in our mock draft, or should we discuss you wanting Rankine at pick one?

We won the tackle count easily last night and ranked 4th for the year

Even if the Dogs win every qtr today, we will rank equal 3rd for qtrs won, again with games we have played tall

Our game style contributes to poor momentum swings, we are ranked last for disposal efficiency. These are our number one priority in terms of improving

We lost by 3 goals to a top 2 side, on their home deck, we lost to another top 2 side by a kick

Tackles and playing tall are not the main concern

Lastly, just stop with the condescending tone

Last edited:
think you are right about what has become of this batch of supporters - or perhaps supporters following this period of the club - the victim mentality is insufferably rampant among them and worryingly it will infect future generations.......we have basically become footscray/melbourne/stkilda supporters....

Pretty hard to have a success mentality if you've been following this club for 20 years. Reckon if we don't start to get something happening soon we won't have to worry about infecting future generations.

Sometimes your intolerance can become a little.....(what is the word?) ah yes....insufferable.

Blue, try and stay with the subject matter and this game rather than a draft 2 years ago

Even if the Dogs win every qtr today, we will rank equal 3rd for qtrs won, again with games we have played tall

Our game style contributes to poor momentum swings, we are ranked last for disposal efficiency. These are our number one priority in terms of improving

We lost by 3 goals to a top 2 side, on their home deck, we lost to another top 2 side by a kick

Like I said, you're too much of a stats man. Do you honestly think Lappin is going to look at the stats before he posts something based on his observations? Be honest, do we look like a side that tackles hard enough?

They've got some bloke in a stats room that presses a button whenever one of our players "tackles"... Murphy had 5 last night, please don't try and tell me he's a hard tackler, opponent breaks away nearly every single time. This is why Skinny made that comment about tackle numbers... they don't stick so based on observation it looks like we don't tackle enough... this is what the stats don't tell you.

Too tall is a main concern because it does contribute to our speed around the ground. Not everyone is Matty Kreuzer. Even if you have a tall with speed, they'll generally lack endurance. But when you talk about Gov, Pitto and Levi you can't make a case for their speed and endurance...

We're ranking high with quarters won but can you honestly say it's off the back of Gov, Pitto and Levi? Levi maybe the only one of those three this year that made a solid contribution to our quarters won stat... and that would've mostly been in the first half of the season...

We lost by 3 goals true.. but 11.12 to 10.1 tells me we were very lucky to only lose by that much... how many times have we been that accurate this year? And the Lions should have converted more opportunities despite the gimme's from the umps.

We rank last for disposal efficiency because we play a slugfest, contested game... because we don't have enough runners who can spread. We can't keep that contested game up for 4 quarters and when teams break away they go on a goal spree.

Hahahahahahahaha... coming from you of all people...

Like I said, you're too much of a stats man. Do you honestly think Lappin is going to look at the stats before he posts something based on his observations? Be honest, do we look like a side that tackles hard enough?

They've got some bloke in a stats room that presses a button whenever one of our players "tackles"... Murphy had 5 last night, please don't try and tell me he's a hard tackler, opponent breaks away nearly every single time. This is why Skinny made that comment about tackle numbers... they don't stick so based on observation it looks like we don't tackle enough... this is what the stats don't tell you.

Too tall is a main concern because it does contribute to our speed around the ground. Not everyone is Matty Kreuzer. Even if you have a tall with speed, they'll generally lack endurance. But when you talk about Gov, Pitto and Levi you can't make a case for their speed and endurance...

We're ranking high with quarters won but can you honestly say it's off the back of Gov, Pitto and Levi? Levi maybe the only one of those three this year that made a solid contribution to our quarters won stat... and that would've mostly been in the first half of the season...

We lost by 3 goals true.. but 11.12 to 10.1 tells me we were very lucky to only lose by that much... how many times have we been that accurate this year? And the Lions should have converted more opportunities despite the gimme's from the umps.

We rank last for disposal efficiency because we play a slugfest, contested game... because we don't have enough runners who can spread. We can't keep that contested game up for 4 quarters and when teams break away they go on a goal spree.

Hahahahahahahaha... coming from you of all people...

Sorry Blue, now you are trying to read Lappin's mind? Bizzare

My original post, was a direct reply to what lappin suggested where we lost the game and it lacked any form of accuracy, not to mention any analysis as to why we lost the game, like most in here

I am comfortable as to how I see the game, or any of the predictions i make

Sorry Blue, now you are trying to read Lappin's mind? Bizzare

My original post, was a direct reply to what lappin suggested where we lost the game and it lacked any form of accuracy, not to mention any analysis as to why we lost the game, like most in here

I am comfortable as to how I see the game, or any of the predictions i make

I'm not trying to read his mind... it's what most of the footy world can see when it comes to our tackling ability...

If you think our tackling isn't an issue then I don't know which team you're watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not going to win any Brownie points for this but the sides celebration of Simpson’s goal whilst heartwarming is also a symptom of why we have a bog ordinary near enough is good enough culture at our club.

The goal was great and team lifting but the get around him celebration was like yeah that’s it, if we don’t win at least we can celebrate Simo’s goal.

It should have been the catalyst for an all in no holds barred supreme effort.
I’ve met homeless junkies with a more positive outlook than you!👍

I'm not trying to read his mind... it's what most of the footy world can see when it comes to our tackling ability...

If you think our tackling isn't an issue then I don't know which team you're watching.

You were trying to read his mind, indicated by you suggesting Lappin's comment on tackling was directed at Murphy, how did you come to that conclusion?

We, like any side can improve in many areas, but given we laid our 2nd highest number of tackles for the year(WC was our highest, strangely another game with massive point swing), IMHO, there are other areas of priority

Blue, try and stay with the subject matter and this game rather than a draft 2 years ago, where I was ranking talent. Secondly I selected Smith in our mock draft, or should we discuss you wanting Rankine at pick one?

True, and that is with predominantly wet and dewy conditions.

Queensland - beautiful one day, perfect to * up Carlton's tall set-up the next.

With Charlie back, we can have a maximum of one of Levi and Gov playing. Even then, if Pittonet is rucking we have to fit Harry, Charlie and TDK in BEFORE we look at Levi, Gov and even JSOS.

How do you see it playing out? Gov going back compromises Marchbank's opportunities. I guess it depends a lot on who we pick up, but our round 1 side could have about a third of a new team compared to last night.

True, and that is with predominantly wet and dewy conditions.

Queensland - beautiful one day, perfect to fu** up Carlton's tall set-up the next.

With Charlie back, we can have a maximum of one of Levi and Gov playing. Even then, if Pittonet is rucking we have to fit Harry, Charlie and TDK in BEFORE we look at Levi, Gov and even JSOS.

How do you see it playing out? Gov going back compromises Marchbank's opportunities. I guess it depends a lot on who we pick up, but our round 1 side could have about a third of a new team compared to last night.

I think we are flushed with non KPD general defenders, or options to play that 3rd tall role, so if we are able to attract all our trade targets, one of them will be traded out

I didn’t mention Gov by name and I haven’t been sticking the boots into him like some...

However Gov is a shadow of the player he was at the crows. His output is by far the worst of any big money recruit we have attracted.

I don’t see intensity, I don’t see team sacrifice. Yes he has a decent leap and good grab. Lovely kick for goal and decent field kick but the man has no tank. Absolutely no fitness base. He can’t play forward in his physical condition and he doesn’t have a long term spot in defence come 2021.

I’m really concerned and I think this will make or break Teague as a coach. He needs to get ruthless and he needs to start with his “favourites” in Gov and Betts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me it's more wanting to know what the hec has happened with him.
Is it positional, an injury, not coping with hubs?
He was marking and goaling for us with ease earlier in the season.

You were trying to read his mind, indicated by you suggesting Lappin's comment on tackling was directed at Murphy, how did you come to that conclusion?

Who else could he be talking about? Just because I said I was certain he's talking about players like Murphy doesn't mean I'm trying to read his mind... how do you come up with this stuff 😂

We, like any side can improve in many areas, but given we laid our 2nd highest number of tackles for the year(WC was our highest, strangely another game with massive point swing), IMHO, there are other areas of priority

Again with the tackle numbers...

A lot of positives tonight

-Walsh is a superstar. #Vanilla
-Thought SPS had a good game. Felt like a transition occurring last night where we said goodbye to Simmo and we saw SPS have a very solid game.
-Harry was great.
-Willo will be a great player for us.
-Plowman had a ripper. Destroyed CC
-No Cripps for a half of football and was still able to play decent football. Probably should have rested him for at least 2-3 games. Hopefully this shows Teague we don't always have to go with the tried and true, and other blokes can get involved.

Negative
-Saying goodbye to Simmo and Kruez :(
-Umpiring.
-Another 5 goal brain fade.

A lot to build on for next year. Lets have a good off season and really identify our needs and take the next step! GO BLUES

Who else could he be talking about? Just because I said I was certain he's talking about players like Murphy doesn't mean I'm trying to read his mind... how do you come up with this stuff 😂

Again with the tackle numbers...

More interested in how you can state who lappin was talking about, staggering really

Stats and vision go hand in hand, as I clearly stated all sides can improve in all areas, just like tackles

Perhaps watch other games with the same focus, you will see how many missed tackles there are

3/5 goals in the 2nd were from very debatable set shot frees.

The real issue though was 23 inside 50s to 3 in that quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Spot on.
This is when it come back to playing tempo footy and keeping the ball off the opposition

Back