FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Just finished watching Witch Hunt (Norwegian - Heksejakt) on SBS on Demand 8 episodes, Stars Ingrid Bolso Berdal (played Armistice from Westworld) She plays a CFO of a law firm and she‘s asked to a sign bill for a company she never heard of, she realises something dodgy might be going on. Excellent series
Just finished this myself.

I thought it was a great look at how the little guy (or woman in this case) can get screwed over by various institutions of Western Democracy. Ingrid Bolsø Berdal was brilliant as the main character. I absolutely loved the architecture in this too - whoever had to find the locations for filming did a great job

I'm not sure why the SBS blurb describes her job position as a CFO though, and I couldn't help but think that so much of what happened to her could have been avoided if she'd just created a paper trail by writing an email after her first meeting with PK re-iterating her concerns.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
The Third Day.

Just watched the first ep of six so far and it's good. Jude Law is in the woods for a reason that is unclear, then meets a girl who is in distress. Takes her back to her weird community that lives on an island accessible only by a tidal causeway. Gets trapped there. It's very much got a Wicker Man feel about it.

torq

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
DES the Dennis Neilson story .

Ditto. Another quality UK limited series. Also watched Tennant guest starring in ‘Criminal: UK’ (episode 1). He’s superb as usual.

Now watching ‘Line of Duty’, starting with series 1 from 2012. Already hooked.

And for a recommendation of something a little off the radar, ‘De twaalf’ (The Twelve), a Dutch courtroom/jury room murder mystery drama.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I saw a headline the other day about more Utopia, but am disappointed to learn that it's a US re-make. I don't watch US re-makes on principle, whether it's The Office or The Bridge. Get your own ideas! The original Utopia was a great show, very original and different, and it went under the radar a bit at the time, in much the same way as the excellent Giri/Haji did, I think.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
The Third Day.

Just watched the first ep of six so far and it's good. Jude Law is in the woods for a reason that is unclear, then meets a girl who is in distress. Takes her back to her weird community that lives on an island accessible only by a tidal causeway. Gets trapped there. It's very much got a Wicker Man feel about it.

Just watched the first episode and yeah looking forward to seeing where this one ends up going.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I saw a headline the other day about more Utopia, but am disappointed to learn that it's a US re-make. I don't watch US re-makes on principle, whether it's The Office or The Bridge. Get your own ideas! The original Utopia was a great show, very original and different, and it went under the radar a bit at the time, in much the same way as the excellent Giri/Haji did, I think.

I rewatched the first series of Utopia and am part way through S2. It's brilliant. At times there is extreme violence then other times there is slapstick comedy. The colours in the cinematography are amazing. Then there's the quirky soundtrack. Dennis Kelly also wrote The Third Day that I mentioned above.

Agree with what you said about the US remakes. Also, the British shows are usually more compact at 6 episodes than the US shows padded out to 10 or even 20.

Thanks for tip on Giri/Haji. Will check it out :thumbsu:

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
GLOW (Glorious Ladies of Wrestling).

Another Netflix drama set in the 80s about a Female wrestling show. Found it though Marc Maron's WTF podcast as he is a star in the show. Not even a wrestling fan (or a woman) and loving it. A good funny easy watch.

It also helps that Alison Brie is amazingly hot.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Finished all 3 seasons of Kingdom (MMA show)

Top 10 show ever for me. Hit me right in the feels. The characters all felt like real people you would meet in every day life. The drama was good but not overdone. Alvey and Jay were just absolutely amazing characters and the actors did a great job.

Onto The Boys Season 2 next.

Sep 14, 2014
Robe SA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I will be Gone in the Dark.
Done three episodes. Slow and methodical but I think it going to be worth the wait to get the full appreciation of what this doco is about and where it leads to in the present.
Yeesh - just made the mistake of watching all six episodes the other night home alone. Another great job though by the HBO doco crew.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Away - netflix series about first manned mission to Mars, more soapy than sci-fi so far but I'll hang in there in case they actually manage to get to the red planet, maybe everyone will stop crying every 5 minutes then....

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm currently watching re runs of Star Trek Voyager (a guilty pleasure) and was very suprised to see recent looking Dermott Brereton staring back at me flying a 29th century star ship.
20200929_203519.jpg

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
3 episodes in and The Third Day is weird and trippy and led by great performances. Paddy Considine is on one.

And now there's an intermission of sorts with a 12-hour live stream / theatre performance (on the island where the show is set) and I have no idea what that's even going to look like.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Seven Deadly Sins you know the main character is just going to add another zero to his power level when needed and there's the usual Japanese anime trope of older characters drawn as children, it's all justified in story but as an old man it can still make me cringe. Still there is a decent overall story, lots of characters getting interesting personal arcs and it just feels like a lot of the old anime I used to watch growing up.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
Started Deutschland 89 (aka season 3 of Deutschland 83) last night

I'm only 2 episodes in but it looks and feels like its the same high quality show the previous 2 seasons were

i didnt realise it had been released, been waiting for it since season 2 ended

Back