Review Good/Bad vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

??? That makes no sense. If he doesn't show anything for the entire game how is that a display of his talent?
Posters have good reason to be concerned about Jones --- he looks out of his depth, nonplussed, although he occasionally shows flashes of real talent.
Himmelberg/Hamill/Schoenberg/Sholl (a draft pick from the 60's) /McPherson have impacted games more than Jones.
Himmelberg would want to, he's been in the system twice as long.

The difference is all those guys are playing in positions they are comfortable in. We saw yesterday Schoenberg struggle when played more forward too.

The one thing I really don't like with Jones is he drops his head too quick. If he doesn't start well you can almost guarantee he's going to have a stinker.

Watching the replay and Ricciuto mentions that up until a week or so ago when he got overtaken by M Crouch, ROB was our No 1 tackler.

I know some players have missed games here and there but that is an absolute indictment on us

Talia is problem number 473.
He really isn't that far down the problem list considering he's the strongest pillar of our defence, and hasn't been since the tail end of of last season. Because he's got some great runs on the board, this board glosses over his diabolical kicking and his glacier slow constricted movement, and now frequent puzzling heat of the moment decisions.

He really isn't that far down the problem list considering he's the strongest pillar of our defence, and hasn't been since the tail end of of last season. Because he's got some great runs on the board, this board glosses over his diabolical kicking and his glacier slow constricted movement, and now frequent puzzling heat of the moment decisions.
Hes always been slow, and hes never been a great kick.... hes not changed since his debut.

The difference is all those guys are playing in positions they are comfortable in. We saw yesterday Schoenberg struggle when played more forward too.
I have trouble with that argument.
Why would Jones be a 3-disposal flop at HF, but a star in the midfield?
Keays and Schoenberg play like mids, to me, but both played elsewhere while Nicks went with Sloane/Crouches/Laird. Both still had a red-hot go. Maybe not as effectively as if they'd been in the midfield, but neither floundered "out of position".
Last week, Jones made a good grab and kicked a 50m goal and I thought, "Wow". I've seen him on the run passing lace-out like a bullet. But he was awful yesterday and it had nothing to do with position. It was about confidence and impact. Richmond are a big-bodied, hard/tough running side who exert relentless pressure.
Maybe Jones lacks body-confidence ... ? ... and then you look at Sholl who is even scrawnier. On potential and actual talent shown, I'd pick Sholl ahead of Jones every time at this stage of their short careers.

I have trouble with that argument.
Why would Jones be a 3-disposal flop at HF, but a star in the midfield?
Keays and Schoenberg play like mids, to me, but both played elsewhere while Nicks went with Sloane/Crouches/Laird. Both still had a red-hot go. Maybe not as effectively as if they'd been in the midfield, but neither floundered "out of position".
Last week, Jones made a good grab and kicked a 50m goal and I thought, "Wow". I've seen him on the run passing lace-out like a bullet. But he was awful yesterday and it had nothing to do with position. It was about confidence and impact. Richmond are a big-bodied, hard/tough running side who exert relentless pressure.
Maybe Jones lacks body-confidence ... ? ... and then you look at Sholl who is even scrawnier. On potential and actual talent shown, I'd pick Sholl ahead of Jones every time at this stage of their short careers.
Hes effectively playing the 'Murphy/Wright' role forward though, a defensive forward.

His confidence looks shot I totally agree, and you can see it.

I had exactly the same thought, as in he was not only the best ruckman on the ground, but also the best rover in our side. ;)
Apparently, RoB was our best tackler (numerically) until last week. I love his work around the ground --- at one stage one of our blokes was looking upfield (Brown/Kelly?) and missed seeing RoB unmarked in the centre of the ground, noticed by Ch7 commentators. Instead of throwing his arms up in frustration, RoB ran (lumbered? lol) 30-40m and marked the (hopeful) high kick to the wing, anyway.
Awesome effort. All game, too.

Jones is constantly a ‘nearly’ player. There’s been no improvement with continued selection. McHenry provides nothing more than an annoying terrier snapping at other players’ heels. Ineffectual.
Hamish ****ed that draft so badly. I can forgive the Jones or Mchenry selections in isolation but picking 2 short people to play midfield as our top 2 picks in a super draft was just mindboggling. I have no faith in Hamish when he actually has decent picks. I trust him more with pick 40 than pick 1.

Hamish f’ed that draft so badly. I can forgive the Jones or Mchenry selections in isolation but picking 2 short people to play midfield as our top 2 picks in a super draft was just mindboggling. I have no faith in Hamish when he actually has decent picks. I trust him more with pick 40 than pick 1.
short people ?? Jones is as big as a lot of midfielders.

And he didn't **** the draft, you yourself and a number of us fap over Hamill and Sholl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay and Ricciuto mentions that up until a week or so ago when he got overtaken by M Crouch, ROB was our No 1 tackler.

I know some players have missed games here and there but that is an absolute indictment on us

Problem is, Roo would think it's a good thing that the big fella is leading our tackling count.

short people ?? Jones is as big as a lot of midfielders.

And he didn't **** the draft, you yourself and a number of us fap over Hamill and Sholl.
I said I dont trust Hamish with first rounders. I like his drafting otherwise.

His talent is picking up good players late in the draft and rookies. When hes actually given first choice, he sucks ass. If you dont believe me, look at all our recent botched first rounders (Jones, McHenry, Gallucci). He gets just one of those right and we'd be way better off.

Last edited:
Well....lets hope we dont pick a skinny kid that cant play footy with pick 1.
If anyone can do it....the AFC can.
You've made some relevant points .....but you seem to believe that we should either Draft or have within the first two seasons a "finished" product

You are sadly mistaken assuming all players develop at the same rate ......what we can't afford is one position midfield players ....it seems the club is teaching a few players to play other roles outside their favored position

Whilst very disappointing games by Jones ......he still has the attributes to be a very good AFL midfielder ....just a bit of patience

Jones is constantly a ‘nearly’ player. There’s been no improvement with continued selection. McHenry provides nothing more than an annoying terrier snapping at other players’ heels. Ineffectual.

I don't even know if he is a 'nearly' player at this point. His inability to find the ball is worry some. He has been given exponentially more opportunity than some of his other teammates who have gone wayyyy past him. Given this forum still thinks Gooch will come good after 'one more preseason' Jones has plenty more time on his hands. Although with the amount of decent draft picks we will have in the next two years it better not be at the expense of others.

Worse than this....his bad moments have WAY out weighted his good moments.
Been responsible for several slipped tackles, free kicks against and ineffective contests which have cost the team dearly.
Not sure what people see in him at all. Other than blind hope because he's a top 10 pick 2 years ago...so therfore will become an elite player if we persist.
Which is the opposite of what was said of Jones ferocity and tackling in his first year ......2nd year blues is not a furphy, it's real

I had the mis-fortune of having Rozee in my SC side all year, so I have closely followed every game of his ......what a s**t 2nd year, yet he was continued to be referred all year as a star ........he has been as woeful as Jones, spending most of his 2nd season on a dead HFF

Don't look at a 2nd years players output .....look at his traits & just 23 games played

"Won the Mark Bickley Emerging Talent Award as the Crows’ best young player in 2019"

B4 you go early Crow on Sholl and McPherson, lets wait till they play their 2nd seasons

Which is the opposite of what was said of Jones ferocity and tackling in his first year ......2nd year blues is not a furphy, it's real

I had the mis-fortune of having Rozee in my SC side all year, so I have closely followed every game of his ......what a sh*t 2nd year, yet he was continued to be referred all year as a star ........he has been as woeful as Jones, spending most of his 2nd season on a dead HFF

Don't look at a 2nd years players output .....look at his traits & just 23 games played

"Won the Mark Bickley Emerging Talent Award as the Crows’ best young player in 2019"

B4 you go early Crow on Sholl and McPherson, lets wait till they play their 2nd seasons

True but at least Rozee had a stellar first year. Meanwhile, Jones has been riding off that one good end of season junk game against WB game for what seems like eternity now.

You've made some relevant points .....but you seem to believe that we should either Draft or have within the first two seasons a "finished" product

You are sadly mistaken assuming all players develop at the same rate ......what we can't afford is one position midfield players ....it seems the club is teaching a few players to play other roles outside their favored position

Whilst very disappointing games by Jones ......he still has the attributes to be a very good AFL midfielder ....just a bit of patience
Blight has a theory. He gives a player 20-25 games. If nothing has been shown in that period they generally are a bust. I agree with his philosophy.

True but at least Rozee had a stellar first year. Meanwhile, Jones has been riding off that one good end of season junk game against WB game for what seems like eternity now.
I think you can be more judgemental on players after their 3rd season .....irrespective of games played

Talls maybe a little more tolerant than Mids ....but I still subscribe to being able to spot a good AFL footballer pretty quickly, and Jones has all the attributes ......but I do agree with the comment Jones could be his own worse critic and applying too much pressure on himself

I had the mis-fortune of having Rozee in my SC side all year, so I have closely followed every game of his ......what a sh*t 2nd year, yet he was continued to be referred all year as a star ........he has been as woeful as Jones, spending most of his 2nd season on a dead HFF

I think we can all agree that the AFC thought we had a premiership team loaded with mature stars...and thus chose the 2 most underdone, skinny (but talented) kids avaiable in the first round.
I believe they did this to reduce presure on selection and increase their chance of retaining the talent long term. Give them 2-3 years in the SANFL like we did with Doedee while the men racked up finals appearences each year.

Now being forced to play them against seasoned men has set them back significantly.
Lets hope its as easy as giving them "time"....they sure dont look like 1st rounders atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back