Review Good/Bad vs Richmond

Did they crash out of the finals due to as much bad luck as we did in 2005/2006 and 2012...???

Every club is susceptible to good/bad luck, especially over such a long time period. It's irrelevant

So you didn't look into that....okay.

There are countless examples of teams not winning due to bad luck or other circumstances. The good teams are able to back it up and push for success the following year, or the year after that

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I'd prefer them to play on at most opportunity, because stop-look-think-look etc just enables the opposition to settle and man up.
The more they do it, the better they'll get at it, and should learn quick-smart to scan around them at all times to play-on to advantage.
2) Agree. It's awareness, like driving ie knowing where you are on the road (eg Anzac Highway) relative to all the other cars around you if you need to make a quick exit/change, moving in the rhythm of the traffic, anticipating, staying out of trouble, not driving in other cars' blind spots etc.
Some of the Crows' inexperienced players have it (awareness) all ready --- McAdam, Schoenberg, Sholl, McPherson (he is going to be very good), Keays (still only 23), Hamill, Himmelberg.
Jones has me worried. He looks panicked, maybe outclassed, but every now and then does something really good.
YEah I am in the same camp regarding Jones. At times he looks the goods. Can incept because he understands the play and he has speed when given the chance to use it but he doesnt get himself in a position to take advantage of his speed. So I think we give him another year to add strength to his frame which might help him break tackles and start to use his skills. For me McHenry is a bigger concern. He just doesn't seem to be up to ALF standard. It means both of our 2018 first round picks may be duds. Lets hope not

They made two GFs not including the replay (2009 and 2010)

And easily could have, and probably should have, won both of them.

Considering ourselves unlucky, but St Kilda a bad club over the course of the last 20 years is largely not defensible.

Over the last two decades Collingwood have one premiership, and five grand final appearances spread through three different 'eras'. Two of those grand finals were particularly tight losses.

We have one grand final appearance where we got spanked.

I'm not really sure we're the same.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You've made some relevant points .....but you seem to believe that we should either Draft or have within the first two seasons a "finished" product

You are sadly mistaken assuming all players develop at the same rate ......what we can't afford is one position midfield players ....it seems the club is teaching a few players to play other roles outside their favored position

Whilst very disappointing games by Jones ......he still has the attributes to be a very good AFL midfielder ....just a bit of patience
The only reason people afford Jones patience is because he's a top 10 draft pick. If he was some pick in the 20's or 30's, nobody would have a problem putting a line through him.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Re: Fogarty
3 seasons, 23 games, avges 6 disposals/game, 3K/3HB, 1.04 goals/game as a key forward.:neutral::grimacing:
I'm losing faith.
Played half a game yesterday probably after Nicks gave him a rocket for his pathetic first half.

That mark and goal yesterday show what he can do. Could it be that all the hype around him + the number on his back have gone to his head? Anybody else got any clues?

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
YEah I am in the same camp regarding Jones. At times he looks the goods. Can incept because he understands the play and he has speed when given the chance to use it but he doesnt get himself in a position to take advantage of his speed. So I think we give him another year to add strength to his frame which might help him break tackles and start to use his skills. For me McHenry is a bigger concern. He just doesn't seem to be up to ALF standard. It means both of our 2018 first round picks may be duds. Lets hope not
Yes, I can't figure him out.
He seems to freeze in some games and gets caught htb, or for stoppage (is that deliberate because he sees no options?). Other times he shows awareness and evasion or does something beautiful.

3 seasons, 23 games, avges 6 disposals/game, 3K/3HB, 1.04 goals/game as a key forward.:neutral::grimacing:
I'm losing faith.
Played half a game yesterday probably after Nicks gave him a rocket for his pathetic first half.

That mark and goal yesterday show what he can do. Could it be that all the hype around him + the number on his back have gone to his head? Anybody else got any clues?

A 23 game young key forward in the worst team in football with criminal delivery averages over a goal a game.

Fogarty is the least of our worries.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Well kids are covering ground. Playing outside.
4BE597C7-BC71-4321-AF16-116FDCB9F32E.png
55C14EEA-F87A-4827-8D36-34497DE7F6B6.png

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are countless examples of teams not winning due to bad luck or other circumstances. The good teams are able to back it up and push for success the following year, or the year after that
Hence why we are a good team that hasn't won a premiership as we consistently made finals or just missed out on the 8 while pushed for success the following years to build a team to a serious premiership contender every 6 years without bottoming out and did this more than some of the team that just happen to get lucky and where good for that one season where they happen to just pinch a premiership that year. We really should have won one in 2005/2006 and pinched another one in 2012 or 2017 but got hit by very bad luck in all of those opportunity.

Last edited:
Hmmm, it wasnt all round from where I was sitting.
And...yes we turned it over plenty of times too.

Which one of our EIGHT free kicks did you disagree with mate?

Blaming umpires in a game where you clearly got rub of the green is actually hilarious

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Blaming umpires in a game where you clearly got rub of the green is actually hilarious
I was too drunk to keep track of who was getting the smoother ride, but the worst decision of the match was when Tex gave away the free for a sling tackle and Vlaustin bowled him over right in front of the umpire, but no reversal.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams

I disagreed with all eight.

When you talk about the rub of the green go back and watch the 2017 grandfinal. Now that was more than the rub of the green

I disagreed with all eight.

When you talk about the rub of the green go back and watch the 2017 grandfinal. Now that was more than the rub of the green

No umpiring could have changed that 48 point belting mate lol

That youtube video with a compilation of all the frees you were "robbed" of is gold. There were just as many that we didnt get.

As for yesterday, you CLEARLY got the rub of the green. Clear ball on the wing not called before halftime was the best of the lot. And the riewoldt tackle that he got done for "holding the man" when the bloke got done ball clear as day haha funny stuff

I'm losing faith.

It's probably a mixture of a few things.

Fogarty really hasn't had a clear run of it with a large block of games. Out of those 23 games, the most played at any one time was 7 in a row, and continuity is a big thing with development.

Then there is the obvious one, he's probably not fit enough and likely to need to shed 3-4 kg to get a bit more speed into his movement. He really should be around 193 cm/90 kg instead of 193 cm/94 kg. That's probably impacting some of the key forward stuff, as it makes leading more difficult and he's not really a pack splitting forward, as much as he is capable of it.

Factor in our forward line struggles, that we really don't quite know what to do with Fogarty (Is he a midfielder? key forward? third tall?), and probably some level of pressure/expectation dulling his performance (s**t happens) and its probably all causing some struggles.

Still there have been some really encouraging aspects to his play this year. Defensively, he's improved out of sight compared to last year. Tackles are back up to 2.2 a game and it seems like there is more of a willingness to put genuine pressure on. That play he forced a stoppage against Carlton (though It might have been GWS) despite being 3 on 1 was the real shining light here. Even offensively, he's in a similar situation to Jones where he does a lot of good with the ball in hand, it's just getting the ball is the issue.

The more I've watched Darcy, the more I do suspect we've taken the wrong path with Fogarty in trying to make him a key forward. I'm coming back to the idea that we should look to turn him into a midfielder who can rotate forward, or a third tall who can take midfield minutes. That said, that's on Darcy as he'll need a big preseason to be able to do so.

Last edited:
Back