Oppo Camp The Non-North Footy Discussion & Matchday Chat Thread (NNFD&MCT) VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cam Smith is what pisses me off about Boomer the most. Still had 100-150 goals in him and about the same in goal assists.

Should of played at least 2 more seasons as the cupboard was bare and still is when it comes to crafty, goal kicking smalls.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't have been against Boomer going on but I reckon there is a bit of fantasy about this. In our forward line of the last few years he would have had a chance of being a liability. We relied on tall forwards surrounded by heavy forward pressure (before this year). He did not apply a lot of pressure and was slowing down in his last year or so. He could very easily have ended his career limping to the line.

Like I said, I wouldn't have been against him going on but I there is every chance that in our setup he would not have gone out on a high note.

There’s a lack of sun at night game in Queensland? What a f’ed up state.

Dew has been an issue for 100 years, it’s nothing new!
And I bet you a dollar that if you were to google earth on any given dark night in Queensland, the sun would be shining in Syria at exactly the same time. 🙃

I wouldn't have been against Boomer going on but I reckon there is a bit of fantasy about this. In our forward line of the last few years he would have had a chance of being a liability. We relied on tall forwards surrounded by heavy forward pressure (before this year). He did not apply a lot of pressure and was slowing down in his last year or so. He could very easily have ended his career limping to the line.

Like I said, I wouldn't have been against him going on but I there is every chance that in our setup he would not have gone out on a high note.
Yeah, nah.

He might of needed speed playing high HF, but as a pocket he would of kicked goals regularly with just skill and nous imo

Its all good having pressure forwards but you need 1 or 2 that can hit the scoreboard too.

Anyway, history.

Yeah, nah.

He might of needed speed playing high HF, but as a pocket he would of kicked goals regularly with just skill and nous imo

Its all good having pressure forwards but you need 1 or 2 that can hit the scoreboard too.

Anyway, history.

Not saying he needed to be a pressure forward, saying that we didn't have any pressure in the forward half and he would have added to that problem (potentially). Personally I would have had him forward earlier - it was always a danger sign of how Scott ran his teams when a 38 year old was still one of our midfield prime movers, irrespective of how good that player was.

Not saying he needed to be a pressure forward, saying that we didn't have any pressure in the forward half and he would have added to that problem (potentially). Personally I would have had him forward earlier - it was always a danger sign of how Scott ran his teams when a 38 year old was still one of our midfield prime movers, irrespective of how good that player was.
Yeah, the flip side to having no pressure inside 50 is at least 1 small in there had the potential to hurt on the scoreboard...

Great player and great club man. Deserved to go out on his own terms and that is the crux of the ill feeling some supporters had towards the club.

Yeah, the flip side to having no pressure inside 50 is at least 1 small in there had the potential to hurt on the scoreboard...

Great player and great club man. Deserved to go out on his own terms and that is the crux of the ill feeling some supporters had towards the club.

I'm comfortable saying he might have had more good football in him, but to say that he deserved to go on his own terms... that can't ever be the way, no matter who the player is. The only players that get to go on their own terms are those that decide it's time to go before the club makes the decision.

No player, ever, is bigger than the club.

I'm comfortable saying he might have had more good football in him, but to say that he deserved to go on his own terms... that can't ever be the way, no matter who the player is. The only players that get to go on their own terms are those that decide it's time to go before the club makes the decision.

No player, ever, is bigger than the club.
For sure, I didn't mean it like that.

If Brent felt like he had good football left in him, then that should of been good enough for another 1 year deal - just like the 10 before that.

The fact that Bard told him they were transitioning to youth and then a year later recruited Polecat, Pittard et all is the kick to the guts that some members took to heart.

The fact that his last seasons numbers were ******* fantastic didn't help the club either...

Screenshot_20200920-105428_Chrome.jpeg

For sure, I didn't mean it like that.

If Brent felt like he had good football left in him, then that should of been good enough for another 1 year deal - just like the 10 before that.

The fact that Bard told him they were transitioning to youth and then a year later recruited Polecat, Pittard et all is the kick to the guts that some members took to heart.

The fact that his last seasons numbers were ******* fantastic didn't help the club either...

View attachment 965819

Like I said, I'd have been happy to see him go round again - but I'm just not convinced that cutting a 38 year old player is or ever should be a controversial move. I think the bigger * up in 2016 was not following through with what these changes meant, we had a dip at the draft but allowed Scott to amble on. I think it's pretty telling that the talk at the time was that Brad was the front guy for those cuts but it was the club that felt time for a changing of the guard. Remember that quote from Brad that he'd keep playing these guys if they were on the list, which was fine for Harvey who was doing well still, but Petrie was close to cooked, NDS was the same and Firrito - although playing solid football should have been the type of player we were progressively replacing. What a s**t show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Derrwayne just reeled off 5-6 over 30 hawks players playing on next year as if it was a good thing.....and we are the only team that needs a total rebuild.

Saw this article today:

The incredible gap between Gold Coast and Hawthorn’s top-20 AFL draft selections
Sam Landsberger
Herald Sun
Sun, 20 September 2020
They have been the dominant side of the past decade and as a result Alastair Clarkson’s Hawks are swimming in a kiddie pool of top 20 talents – while the Suns have an ocean of them. Could it mean a long road back to the top for Hawthorn?
The Hawks’ opponent, Gold Coast, has activated 18 top-10 selections in their 10 AFL drafts.
From 2010-2019 the Suns crowned 26 kids in the top 20.

Hawthorn has had three — Isaac Smith (No.19 in 2010), Ryan Burton (No.19 in 2015) and Will Day (No.13 in 2019).

The Suns’ tally excludes mini-draft gems Jaeger O’Meara and Jack Martin as well as a dozen 17-year-olds, headlined by Charlie Dixon and Steven May.
Really, it is Gold Coast 22-0 for top-10 picks compared to the Hawks and 30-3 for top 20.
Hawthorn fans will argue that they’ve spent the past decade trading their first-round picks for players who were taken near the top of the draft.
That is correct.
Of the recent inclusions Chad Wingard went at No.6, Tom Mitchell was a father-son gun, Jack Scrimshaw went at No.7 and O’Meara was the beez neez of the mini-draft.
But when it comes to depth, Clarkson is swimming in the kids’ pool and Suns coach Stuart Dew in the ocean.
Gold Coast’s 2020 list boasts 11 players taken in the top 10 and another six inside 20.
Hawthorn has six and three, and that includes Ben McEvoy, 31, James Frawley, 31, Shaun Burgoyne, 37 and Tom Scully and Jon Patton, who are banged-up.
“They just haven’t got enough of them, have they?” respected recruiter Matthew Rendell said.
“You’ve got Mitchell, O’Meara and Wingard at the peak of their careers.
“But they just haven’t got enough to complement around them. Their kids aren’t top 15 picks anymore.
“Nothing against them, there’s some good players there — but they ain’t top-20 picks.
“And there’s a reason for that. They’re good players in your team from 12-22 — but you need those top-20 picks in your team.”
For the cake to rise Rendell said you needed an overflow of draft cream.
Look at Collingwood – Scott Pendlebury (pick No.5), Jordan De Goey (5), Darcy Moore (9), Steele Sidebottom (11) and Brodie Grundy (18).
Richmond has Dustin Martin (3), Trent Cotchin (2), Dion Prestia (9) and Tom Lynch (11).
Western Bulldogs can boast Marcus Bontempelli (4), Jack Macrae (6), Aaron Naughton (9) and Bailey Smith (7).
Geelong has long held the belief that players taken in the first round are usually worth a second chance because they are dripping with talent.
It’s why Fremantle — after taking Andrew Brayshaw (pick No.2) and Adam Cerra (5) in 2017, and Hayden Young and Liam Henry either side of Rising Star favourite Caleb Serong in last year’s top 10 — looks so ominous.
“They’ve traded out to get these senior players in because they think they’re still in the window.
“And almost this time last year they were still in the window – they beat West Coast over in Perth in the last game of the year.
“They thought, ‘We’re still a chance here’ but their older players have just fallen off a cliff and they’ve found out they were no chance.”
Still, Hawthorn fans shouldn’t despair.
Rendell pointed to Geelong’s super draft of 1999 and Hawthorn’s 2001 and 2004 draft as evidence the wheel can turn with a rush.
“I tell people all the time – you only have to get two good drafts right and you can revive your whole club, which is what Adelaide can do,” he said.
Gold Coast has already had two cracks at a build and crumbled both times, because the pillars of the club were made of dust.
“How many of the original high picks did they keep?” Rendell asked.
The answer was not many. David Swallow and Sam Day remain from 2011, and then there is a black hole the size of The Big Pineapple.
“That’s extraordinary, isn’t it? They just have to keep rebuilding, that’s the problem,” Rendell said.
This year the Suns can sign top-15 talent Alex Davies (Cairns) for nothing while it cashed in pick 11 in the upcoming draft for Jeremy Sharp last year.
The talent keeps coming. But with the right pillars in place, the Suns believe they’ve already had their Hawthorn drafts.
Can Ben King be their Jarryd Roughead? Izak Rankine their Cyril Rioli? Matthew Rowell their Luke Hodge?
Noah Anderson their Sam Mitchell? Jack Lukosius their Jack Gunston?
The Suns are finally arriving and there’s no reason the Hawks can’t rise from the ashes of this year.
“They can fix it really quick,” Rendell said.
“If they could do a good draft or two they’re still young enough (with O’Meara, Mitchell and Wingard in their prime).
“Get two good drafts going and most clubs can.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back