Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

The latest AFL plan is the clubs will only have to pay out a coach 6 months of a contract if they decide to sack him. This would be amazing for us but I’m not sure how they’ll actually get this to pass. What’s the point of the contract.

No way that the AFLCA would agree to that

I think a middle ground is sensible.

You're given a contract to provide a service, if you aren't providing the service to the level expected the club should be allowed to cancel the contract and pay a portion out.

Paying out the full contract is ludicrous and wouldn't be done in many (if any) other businesses unless the party wanting to cancel the contract is accused of some sort of wrongdoing.

Is it just me or does our game style seem to change week after week recently. Feels like there's been no consistency since we got our pants pulled down against the dogs. The saints game we went ultra defensive and then we continued that against swans and freo which didn't suit to conditions. We only looked like attacking in the last quarter against freo when it was too late. We then went back to exciting football after a few weeks hugging the boundary line gws also decided to take the game on after they were also boring against the crows. That's why the game rrsulted in easy goals for both teams. Today we seem to chip the ball around a lot ala Geelong style was effective when they had the momentum but they did seem confused when to be patient and possess or when to go quickly. We just seem a little too reactive recently hopefully they can sort out what style best suits us over the preseason.

I'm just pissed off that if we had won the games we should have in Cairns, I wouldn't be sitting here giving two shits about Freo & the Dogs tomorrow, or Geelong & Sydney for that matter (if we win, I don't want to get smashed in Perth, I want to get beaten in QLD)

We conceded the equal least marks of any team inside 50 this year, I think we are still let down by our small defence. Lockhart, Salem, Harmes etc are shoe horned there.

Also says alot about the great work of Lever and May, Rivers second half of the season.

Is it just me or does our game style seem to change week after week recently. Feels like there's been no consistency since we got our pants pulled down against the dogs. The saints game we went ultra defensive and then we continued that against swans and freo which didn't suit to conditions. We only looked like attacking in the last quarter against freo when it was too late. We then went back to exciting football after a few weeks hugging the boundary line gws also decided to take the game on after they were also boring against the crows. That's why the game rrsulted in easy goals for both teams. Today we seem to chip the ball around a lot ala Geelong style was effective when they had the momentum but they did seem confused when to be patient and possess or when to go quickly. We just seem a little too reactive recently hopefully they can sort out what style best suits us over the preseason.
This. I posted in the Gameday Thread that we can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. When we play fast we seem incapable of making a good decision. When we play slow, we struggle to gain territory and get held up by poor skills.

Another huge disappointment and when Goodwin said narrative of 2018 season was an over-achievement really got my goat. We are now a team with poor skills and too easy to score against.

Then why the hell did we trade Jesse Hogan, swap draft picks with North Melbourne and bring in Lever, May, Langdon and Tomlinson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why the hell did we trade Jesse Hogan, swap draft picks with North Melbourne and bring in Lever, May, Langdon and Tomlinson?

For the last time, Hogan wanted to go home and we were banking on Tom Macdonald after having a 53 goal season and Weid after showing good promise in the last month of that season.

And what are you on about, Langdons been fantastic this year, Steven May could be an AA defender?

For the last time, Hogan wanted to go home and we were banking on Tom macdonald after having a 53 goal season and Weid after show good promise in the last month of that season.

And what are you on about, Langdons been fantastic this year, Steven May could be an AA defender?
And the club has won 14 games out of 39 the last two years

What are they going to do? Strike? It would be the best thing for the game if all these complicated structures became a thing of the past & more simple game plans became the norm.

Good point. AFLPA have a lot of power because they know the game can't run without them. Not really the same with the coaches.

And the club has won 14 games out of 39 the last two years

Yes I know?? I absolutely want Goodwin to go and think this season was a failure.

But he was asking why we traded Hogan when its a known fact that he wanted to go home. And the players he had problems with have hardly been our worst players. Langdons been good , and May's possibly AA

Yes I know?? I absolutely want Goodwin to go and think this season was a failure.

But he was asking why we traded Hogan when its a known fact that he wanted to go home. And the players he had problems with have hardly been our worst players. Langdons been good , and May's possibly AA
He didn’t complain about them he asked what was the point of bringing them in which is a very good question considering we are a vastly inferior team than we were 2 years ago by any metric

He didn’t complain about them he asked what was the point of bringing them in which is a very good question considering we are a vastly inferior team than we were 2 years ago by any metric

We are crap now because we got figured out and Petracca/May are the only players who have improved over the past two years.

We are crap now because we got figured out and Petracca/May are the only players who have improved over the past two years.

We didn't get figured out, we drastically changed our game plan after the first couple of games in 2019 where we got belted after having 18 surgeries or something ridiculous.

We went from having a plan, to being in the middle of two plans and confused the s**t out of our players.

We didn't get figured out, we drastically changed our game plan after the first couple of games in 2019 where we got belted after having 18 surgeries or something ridiculous.

We went from having a plan, to being in the middle of two plans and confused the sh*t out of our players.

Didn't we go back to that gameplan this year and it went to s**t?

I thought it was pretty obvious why we have done those trades. May has improved our backline, Langdon has given us much needed outside run. The pick swap with North was because we wanted to get pickett who gives us some much need forward line x factor. Tomlinson is debatable but cost nothing.

It starts at the top with Goodwin and Mahoney, and all their decisions need to be questioned particularly around list management since the end of 2018. While those 2 are running the show we are in big trouble and I’m terrified what damage they will do this off season, I doubt very much we will keep our first pick this year or our first round pick in 2021 as these clowns try and save their jobs and that would be catastrophic.

Didn't we go back to that gameplan this year and it went to sh*t?

Don't think so mate, we used to be a quick, play on at all costs team, don't think we'd even be in the top 10 for play on after mark %

Remove this Banner Ad

Back